Timing a 5.7 gxi

Fireman78

Seaman
Finally getting my new crate 5.7 gxi-f cranked. Question is we tried to time it and it kept dying or going kind of crazy. It is actually sitting very close to the 10 degrees btdc. Looked in my seloc manual and it says that the timing is controlled by the ecu and to change it you’ve got to hook up to a programmer or computer. So do I have to take it to a shop and get this timed. Or is it ok to leave it. What do you think. Local shop says 109$ for timing, or that I can download some kind of program and hook up to time it.
I also found another link the says just make sure you are at tdc and make sure the distributor is between two marks and that is it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Officially you are supposed to set up the timing with the scan tool.
That said. I’ve done this twice now...all I did was line up the diz between the two lines. Tried it out. The ecu is supposed to take over from there. One time it did. The other time it didn’t really. I had to rotate the diz literally about 2/3mm anti clockwise to get it to run right without popping.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Timing is set with the ECM based on sensors input to it, not a timing light. You need to put block at TDC, then drop in distributor into block,set distributor rotor electrode to #1 cylinder pick up on the distributor cap. It should fire. After the engine has started you will need to have cam retard set with a Rinda tool while idling above 1k rpm. With Rinda tool attached, you rotate distributor until you get within 2 degrees reading on Rinda tool, then lock distributor down by tightening hold down nut.

Do not use Seloc manual, use factory service manuals, much more detailed and more accurate.

Last edited: