Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Get back on track Bob! :D Robs boats looks great though!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Thanks Guys,
At the rate I'm moving I should finish in time for Ice fishing.:(
I knew when I started it would be a long process.
Thanks Again.
Bob

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

you'll still beat me, I won't make for ice fishing. keep up the good work.:cool:

sprintst

Commander

Nice solid work. She looks industrial strength.

Keep up the good work and take time to grab a beer in there every once and a while. It's easy to feel pressured to finish. I'm still working on trying to enjoy the whole process :)

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bob,

Nice to hear you're able to balance being Rob's (very good) friend, your responsibilies around the homeplace and work on your boat project.

I've never seen anything like the hull/floor support system you're building for your Glasstream. The four stringers turned out great. Are your sub-floors for a ski locker and fuel tank? What's the purpose of the two parallel supports you built next to the inside stringers?

You taught me about the poly adhesive PL, what's PB?

Respectfully,

-Mike

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad you had time to get some work done on it Bob, looking nice! Keep it up, you'll be done before you know it!

giterdone72

Seaman

Been following along through your restore. Nice glass work on the stringers.:D anxious to see her come together.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking good Bob!!!!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
Thanks for all the comments. I did get some time on the boat but never enough.
We do what we can.
mrlassi1,
PB is what we use for fillets and it's simply resin with something to thicken it. I prefer short stran glass with a little wood flour (saw dust).
The sub decks are the bottom of the ski locker, under the fuel tank and in the bilge area.
The side bulkheads are to keep the fuel tank from moving around and to support the hatch for the fuel tank and the engine cover. It will get another top cap of ply and then glassed in. The original design was poorly done. The deck will sit on top of it along with the fuel hatch.
Thanks again folks. Have a great day.
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Looking real good Bob, that is sure one heck of a bulkhead setup you did there Wow, and to think they call me overkill lol ;)

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just looked over the last page and it's looking good. Rob's too!.

I'm trying to digest what I just looked at. I may have to print out your pics and go look at my stringers. I'll come back in a day or two and see if it makes more sense to me. Maybe I'm just tired at this point.

Keep working when you can. Looks like you've got about as much time as I do right now.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey HVAC,
I'm like you, I want this thing to last. I want my kids to enjoy it after me. Thanks for looking.
I always appreciate your views.
Hey Mountain_Man,
It may be a little confusing right now. It will be crystal clear when you see the next step. When ever I get back to it. Actually, I explained it in my last post, but It may still be confusing.
Take care all.
Bob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
NO progress on my boat at all.
I just wanted to share that we fired Rob's boat up last night. It purred like a kitten. It was really smooth.
I think hummmmm, I may need to rethink the power up option for mine. That 4.3 is really sweet. :D
While away from home I have been playing with color scheme to so tell me your thoughts.
Current color Scheme.
100_2991.jpg

I'm not that good but you should get the idea.
100_2991-1.jpg

Any thoughts.
I may be getting ahead of myself but It does get boring not working on the boat.
Thanks again
Bob

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Love the graphics. I would go with a darker red if it were me.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Caravandaddy,
Thanks for looking, I may take a look at a darker red. This was my first round of trying.
Thanks again.
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Bob, How goes it? I would also go with a darker red or almost maroon. Funny story how the subconscious works, your pic shows your boat red white and blue :). I ironically do the same with my work lol Guess we are all just patriotic :) :D

What did you origianally figure for power? I remember the chain saw pics :eek: :D but I forget the engine size Oops

All the Best
Bill

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Bill,
Well that's a funny story. My thread is kinda two threads in one. My friend Rob is building a boat too, but won't start a thread so I'm kinda posting some of his progress too. The Chainsaw pic's, we were picking up his engine the 4.3

My engine is a 3.0L. I was thinking about upgrading to a 4.3 if I can find another one. We got a sweet deal on his, $ 500 for outdrive and motor.
I just love the sound of V engines.
Bob

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat is looking really nice..better than mine man.
i like how its shining like that..i hope i can get mine to shine. Having problems with that too but cant wait till this cold is gone for me to work on mine.
keep it up and thanks for all your help.

tallcanadian

Captain

I agree with the darker red or maroon. That would look nice.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Oh ok, sorry the fumes are affecting my memory lol. To bad you don't live closer, I have a 4.3 vortec out of a astro van with 2000 mi on her that I can't seem to give away. All you would need to do is change the core plugs to brass.