Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Mountain_Man,
If I thought I could pay the bills doing it I would. Just not enough guts yet.
The wife likes to stay warm, out of the weather, eating and of coarse shopping. I would have to overcome those habits too. :p:p
Bob

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

AWSOME stuff in this thread. You are really really smart and there is so much that you know. Anyhow nice to see you are working on a boat similar to mine. I have a 1988 Glasstream 152 tempest.
I could use your tips and expertise

Cheers

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bob,

You offered a while back to provide info on how to build the vac pump. Count me in. What project did you use yours for most recently?

I'm with you - never saw a boat I didn't like.

-Mike

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Bob- where's your boat? Any progress lately???

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I was thinking the same thing Mick said!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
Well, it was a perfect weekend for working on the boat.
I also found that warm weather is also a perfect time for the wifey to pull out her honey due list. :(
Can someone explain why wifes seem to think they need to find stuff for us to do?
Perfect boat weather is also good for cleaning up the yard, My yard is 10.5 acres. :(:(
I still haven't got the mess cleaned up from the Ice storm last year.
Well enough of that .
I didn't get a lot done on the boat this weekend but I did get part of the sub-deck in and PBed in. I also got one of the bulk heads cut and dry fitted before I had to come back to TN. Sorry no pic's.
I have the other two sub decks cut and glassed on the bottom ready to install. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about the bulkheads that run parallel to the stringers yet either.
Well, sorry folks not much of a report.
I need it to rain the day before I go home so I can't work in the yard and can spend more time on the boat.
Just a little venting.
Bob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrlassi1,
I will PM you on the build info for the vac system. I didn't invent the system just built it from the instructions I found on the Web.
As for the last project I used it on, It was my router table top that you can see on the link below.
I will be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.
Have a great day.

Bob
imraan47,
Thanks for taking the time to look over my thread. I hope that you find some useful items in here to use.
Good luck on your boat.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Bob, any chance you are going to get boat time this weekend?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

.........................Just a little venting.
Bob

Go right ahead and vent Bob, if it's anything like mine with the hot air being expelled, we won't have to worry about snow till next fall :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
Not a chance this weekend. I'm still in TN until next weekend.
Well, That's not totally true. I will be helping Rob with his. We plan to drop the engine in it this weekend. So it may not be progress on mine, but I'm still staying busy.
HSF,
Sounds like more global warming to me. We shouldn't ever get anymore snow. Glad to see you back on your boat too.
Take care my friends.
Bob
P.S. How did y'all find this thread? last time I saw it, it was about eight pages back. HA! HA! :D
It's amazing how many folks are on here now.
Take care.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Alright folks,
Not an update on mine but on Robs. We got the transom assembly installed Saturday and then today we completed the engine install. Took a few pic's.
Like I said not my boat but it's still progress.
IMG00274.jpg

The only way to install an engine, Fork truck with side shift and boom.
IMG00272.jpg

Now the engine, Should push it along nicely.
IMG00273.jpg

Next is an overview and a nice big,warm and dry work space.
IMG00275.jpg

A good workspace really helps the progress.
I hope you enjoy the pic's.
Have a great day.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

looks like a great work space, that helps a ton! Tell rob to get a thread going! Looking forward to your progress too!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
I wish it was progress on mine but I will be back home next weekend and then perhaps I can get some time on her.
I don't think Rob will start a thread, He says he's a reader not a writer.
OH, Well.
Take care my friend.
Bob

micks110

Bob- you getting excited??? The weekend is almost here- I'm assuming the wife is going to let you spend some time on the boat- after you take her out for a nice dinner of course:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
I can only hope. I have been working pretty steady on Rob's boat this week and I want to get mine rolling again.
I plan to be on it Sat. morning for several hours. I have got to gain some ground on the rest of you.
Take care and have a great weekend all.
Bob

Badweed

Seaman

Hey Bob,

Ur boat looks great. My buddy suggested I do half of the boat at a time, which made sense to me, so I've cut out and grinded the middle and left side of the boat down to the hull.

I'm about to PL the transom and lay the left stringer. Just had a few questions...

1. Do you PB with PL, or do you use Poly and an additive like wood dust or balloons?

2. Any tricks to PLing the stringers? I think I saw earlier in your thread about PL that would'nt dry.

3. How many coats of mat and roving did you put on the stringers and transom? Why?

Thanks.

Steve

BTW, Woodworking is my hobby as well. Can't wait to get back to it after the boat is done.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
Wow, you take a couple days off this site and you really get behind these days.
Hey Badweed,
I bedded the stringers in PL and then made the fillets out of PB. I have used just straight wood flour but I really don't like it, never get it as smooth as I like. I prefer cutting some glass into short strands and mix it then add a little wood flour in. The two combined makes a really good paste that I can get pretty smooth.
He Arch,
You want progress, Well here you go, Got up Saturday morning walked outside started my tractor and headed for the back forty. I now have 7 large burn piles completed. The biggest is 30' X 12' X 8'.
Sorry I forgot, This is a boating forum.
After I got the wife chores started I actually got to work on the boat some.
I got the sub-deck in the ski locker PB'd in place, It was resin and glassed on the bottom side and then decided not to do the rest of them because I wouldn't be able to get anything else done.
Here's a pic of the sub-deck.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey again,
I hit the wrong button.
Here's the sub-deck.
IMG00277.jpg

I then went back to work on the side bulkheads, the ones that concerned me before. I decided to use stand offs to connect them to the stingers. I spent Saturday night building them and then glass the part that was going to be inside and I wasn't sure how well I would be able to get them sealed.
IMG00276.jpg
Today before the rain started I put then and the front bulkhead in place and PL'd them in, I then made some spacers to hold them in place until the PL set.
IMG00278.jpg

Next time I get home I will put the top piece of ply on and glass them in place. I'll get as much glass as possible in that small area.
IMG00279.jpg

I still need to clean up some of the PL before I start glassing.
I also managed to get the transom drain hole drilled.
So that's the end of the progress for now.
Once I get the rest of the SUB decks in and it all glassed in I'll be ready for the main deck. Oh, I'll have to put the motor mount in too.
Take care All.
Bob

micks110

Nice Bob! You got to work on "your" boat:D

You do some very nice work in the short amount of time you get to spend on it!

Really Nice;)