Time to remount engine - any tips for hull care?

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
529
Ok guys, just finished putting the durabak on my boat.<br /><br />I need to re-mount my engine before I can re-install steering, wiring, fuel, etc.<br /><br />My question is this:<br /><br />What should I do to the transom holes, the bolts, and washers that mount on the transom?<br /><br />Should I put 3m5200 or something similar inside the holes and around the washer/nut to prevent water intrusion?<br /><br />Is there a basic process to engine mounting as far as sealing goes?<br /><br />I did a search in here and the engine forums, couldn't find much.<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Shawn
 

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
159
Re: Time to remount engine - any tips for hull care?

Hi shawn <br />Usually you drill the holes clean them oout good and seal the wood with epoxy or poly. Let it dry then i would use the 4200 unless you want to go with the perm 5200. <br />Good Luck
 

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
478
Re: Time to remount engine - any tips for hull care?

garrett61 is right about the holes, but I'm sure you can use a good 50 year silicone caulk from home depot. As far as nuts, bolts, and washers only use stainless steel.
 

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
529
Re: Time to remount engine - any tips for hull care?

Guys,<br /><br />The transom mount holes are already prepped/ready from the factory. I didn't re-do the transom, just removed the engine to coat the floor/decks with durabak.<br /><br />With that said, I think I'll just use some silicon. 3m4200 and 5200, from what I have heard/read, will peel gelcoat off if I ever have to remove it. Tough stuff!<br /><br />Thanks for the advice.<br /><br />SQ
 

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Apr 28, 2002
Messages
7,518
Re: Time to remount engine - any tips for hull care?

There are a lot of guys here that think that silicon should not be used on a boat.
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: Time to remount engine - any tips for hull care?

have been in the house building industry for 45 years, i hate silicon caulk as a sealer. i've seen more rotten wood due to the failure of silicon not adhering to surfaces.
 

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 13, 2003
Messages
529
Re: Time to remount engine - any tips for hull care?

If Silicone is a bad idea, than what do you recommend?<br /><br />This is what my local marine shop uses and sells:<br />
life%20calk.jpg
<br /><br />Here's the descriptions:<br />"A long lasting, permanently flexible marine polysulfide sealant which can be sanded, painted and used above and below the waterline. Tack-free in 1 to 3 days, Cures in 7-10 days (weather dependent). Excellent resistance to teak oils, gasoline and diesel fuel"<br /><br />How will this work?
 
Top