This Rather business is making me mad now.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: This Rather business is making me mad now.

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> .....The IBM Selectric typewriter had them and they were widely available back then. My High School typing class had them in 1970, so I'm sure they were around at least a few years before that......I'm no "expert".
There are more discrepancies than the superscript and the ball. There is proportional spacing, centering, the superscripts, the font, scaling, leading....etc, etc, etc.<br /><br />Here is a report, along with analysis from from someone who is an expert on the only machine from that era that even could have produced the memos, and he says it is a fake.<br /><br /><br /> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3395977/

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Way to go, Ralph :D Are you sure you aren't Howie Carr :)
OMG. Howie's muggings for the TV cameras while Billy Bulger was getting grilled before that Congressional committee last year were pure humor. :D

I personally have not forgiven 60 minutes for destroying the apple industry in Washington State after they aired their BS Alar episode some 15 years ago. <br /><br />My family wasn't in the apples business, but all of our neighbors were. I was only a kid but it leaves a lasting impression when you see grown ups crying. That episode destroyed in 60 minutes what it took good hard working farmers their entire lives to build.<br /><br />I will never fogive them for that, and I will never trust a word that is uttered on that program. I'm not one to give second chances.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, didn't have a chance to respond to Boomyal this morning. Please pardon my tardiness, but...<br /><br /><br />Dude! Get ahold of yourself! Enough of the personal attacks, okay? If you want to debate my stance on the issues, please feel free. But quoting my posts as a whole and basically saying nothing about them is not only rude, it shows a good deal of acrimony toward somebody you have never even met. I'm sure if anybody wants to reread my positions, they can find the little arrow on the right side of the screen and do it for themselves. I don't need some dude going wacko on me over an opinion that doesn't happen to jibe with yours. If you need help, please seek it. The yellow pages are full of shrinks that are itching to help you with your anger problem. If you have health insurance, it'll pay for the sessions. I'm not saying this to be mean, but my kids need me to provide for them and I can't do that if some dude on the other end of the internet loses it and decides to pop me. Maybe I'm overreacting a little, but you're overreacting alot! Get a grip! This is a BOATING website. Let's leave the personal crap out of it, shall we???

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br />This is a BOATING website. Let's leave the personal crap out of it, shall we???
'nuff said.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Okay. I'm sure most of us watched 60 Minutes. The secretary pretty much said one of the documents was probably a fake. But she sure did concur with the jist of the feature last week. Basically she said GW was an Arrogant SOB (not in so many words) and a Laughing Stock (not in so many words) among his peers. I guess we can't call that anything new. But to me it just tells something about Character that doesn't impress me about the man. Not that I'm terribly impressed by his opponent. I just wish we could find Somebody the majority of Americans can stand behind. Obviously we're having a problem with that this time around.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> I just wish we could find Somebody the majority of Americans can stand behind. Obviously we're having a problem with that this time around.
What planet have you been living on WillyB. There is no such creature. Even the most loved and revered President in in the last 50 years was vituporously vilainized by the Left. And that was back before the Left had become the power crazed party that it is today.<br /><br />Also, IMHO, the fact that Dan Blather had to show 'the secretary' during his rather anemic admission that there might be something wrong with the documents, shows that he had political ax to grind.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> Not that I'm terribly impressed by his opponent. I just wish we could find Somebody the majority of Americans can stand behind. Obviously we're having a problem with that this time around.
WillyBWrong, America stood behind the President until democrats started thinking about elections. Then the marxist media, the democrats, and the DNC began their shouts of "Bahoogawaga! Bahoogawaga!" The disaffection for Bush is for the most part an artificial product of propoganda, and is all a bunch of HOGWASH.<br /><br />The democrats are shameless in their quest for the Presidency, and will say anything or do anything to get it. Anyone who doesn't see it just doesn't want to see it.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Get back to reality, guys. All through this thing there hasn't been a decided margin to either candidate. There has rarely been more than 10 points between them. It bounces from Bush to Kerry to Bush. What I said stands. I'm sorry you haven't been paying attention to the polls in the Real world...you know, the one away from iboats. There seems to be a decided majority for Bush here. But iboats isn't exactly an accurate reflection of the rest of your planet...or mine.

Ralph 123

Captain

black_eye.jpg

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL!!! Good one. Here's another one that I saw recently and cracked up laughing:<br />
ariaillg.jpg
<br /><br />Butch A.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

We are not talking about the rest of the planet willyb. We are talking about the United States of America. Those of us who know, know polls are not worth a damn. Statistics are easy tools to use. :D

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Last I checked, The USA was still on planet Earth. ;) If you want to get nit-picky, then we're well on our way to page 2...3.....12....... (Anyone know the record for the most pages for a single topic? Just curious.)

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Gee, WillyBWrong...ya think Kerry will carry Mexico? I think Bush has a pretty good chance to get Mexico into the red coulmn.<br /><br /><br /> :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what the rest of the planet wants. They can all eat s*** and howl at the moon.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

oddjob

Commander

Rather's position now,....." The story is authintic(sp), but the documents are not"....or something like that... :D <br />O Kaaaaaaaaaaay!

gaugeguy

Captain

He's a tool. Where is the proof Dan :mad:

KaGee

Admiral

Ya Butch, it's all a bunch a BS. Good find!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Mr. Rather you are a journalist you are not suppose to care who wins, just report the facts.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some describe President Bush as arrogant, my description would go more along the lines of patriot and defender of the free world. I don't expect him to ask anyone's approval for attacking those who have attacked us, I don't expect him to seek anyone's permission to seek out and destroy those whose goal is to destroy our way of life.<br /><br />Even if Bush weren't the right man for the job, the fact remains CBS needs to drop the word news from its description of itself, and admit it doesn't have a journalism department. What CBS has is a propaganda department for the 'Great Left Wing Bush Hating Conspiracy.'<br /><br />The fact that they may feel that the end justifies the means proves that they don't understand what journalism is. Journalism is reporting the truth so that the people will know, not lying to them so that they will do what you think is right.