This Rather business is making me mad now.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It appears now that CBS News knew beforehand that documents it used were forgeries before it went ahead with the broadcast of "60 Minutes".<br /><br />I thought Rather, CBS and Viacom were guilty of trying to hide a mistake before, but now I believe there was a more sinister motive.<br /><br />As an American, who values greatly a free press, I am really angry about this now.<br /><br />This from ABC News, not exactly a right-wing organization.<br /><br />"Emily Will, a veteran document examiner from North Carolina, told ABC News she saw problems right away with the one document CBS hired her to check the weekend before the broadcast. <br />"I found five significant differences in the questioned handwriting, and I found problems with the printing itself as to whether it could have been produced by a typewriter," she said. <br /><br />Will says she sent the CBS producer an e-mail message about her concerns and strongly urged the network the night before the broadcast not to use the documents. <br /><br />"I told them that all the questions I was asking them on Tuesday night, they were going to be asked by hundreds of other document examiners on Thursday if they ran that story," Will said. <br /><br />But the documents became a key part of the 60 Minutes II broadcast questioning President Bush's National Guard service in 1972. CBS made no mention that any expert disputed the authenticity. <br /><br />"I did not feel that they wanted to investigate it very deeply," Will told ABC News...<br /><br />A second document examiner hired by CBS News, Linda James of Plano, Texas, also told ABC News she had concerns about the documents and could not authenticate them. <br /><br />"I did not authenticate anything and I don't want it to be misunderstood that I did," James said. "And that's why I have come forth to talk about it because I don't want anybody to think I did authenticate these documents." <br /><br />A third examiner hired by CBS for its story, Marcel Matley, appeared on CBS Evening News last Friday and was described as saying the document was real. <br /><br />According to The Washington Post, Matley said he examined only the signature attributed to Killian and made no attempt to authenticate the documents themselves."<br /><br />Jinx

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: This Rather business is making me mad now.

All this just proves to me and the rest of thinking civilizaton that CBS has an agenda. <br /><br />Years ago I recall hearing a quote from one of the higher-ups in one of the big news organizations, stating that journalists were not to just report the news, but to form public opinion.<br /> <br />Now CBS has been caught in the act. WHAT journalistic integrity??

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Dan Rather believes that these documents were planted by a "VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY." How Clintonian.<br /><br />There can be little doubt it came from someone at the DNC but to own up to it would torpedo their (their annointed party the Democrats) already slim chance at victory. But that is not paritsan. :mad: Just fair and balanced. (not) CBS and Dan Rather are not journalists they are propogandists. These clowns don't understand why Fox is eating their and their buddies lunch, Duh!<br /><br />First step own up, second step Bye Bye Dan, and as much as I would like to know who provided these doc's, they should not reveal their source. The most important thing to a news outlet is their integrity and CBS has none as long as Dan stays there. Pay the bucks to bring in Roger Ailes or Mort Zuckerman and start from scratch, cuz at this time all is lost at CBS. Or don't; it just diminishes the mainstream, old guard liberal press. This faux paus will take years to recover from. Bummer - not really

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not a bummer to me. I'm not sure an organization that would do this should recover or survive. CBS has failed in their journalistic mission, they've become a shill organization for the liberal agenda. They've been that for years. Anybody that would watch them and think they are a credible news organization is dreaming.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

It's not the first time ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN has been caught in the act. Remember NBC's so-called coverage of the Chevy pickups exploding when hit from the side? They actually planted pyrotechnics to cause a pickup to explode for the cameras when hit broadside.<br /><br />I don't think I can imagine a depth to which they are not willing to sink.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You can hire 10 "experts" and you'll get 10 different answers as to what color the sky is.<br /><br />As I understand it, the font is in question as is a few "th" superscripts that appear. The IBM Selectric typewriter had them and they were widely available back then. My High School typing class had them in 1970, so I'm sure they were around at least a few years before that. Many people seem to think only of the old style typewriters that had individual keys. Not so with the Selectric. It had a ball with letters on it. You could get a number of different typefaces and you could switch balls in seconds. And they had the "th", "st", "nd", "1/2", and a few others. I clearly remember having fun typing on those in class. But my parents had the old kind and I really hated practicing on them. Stone axes and clubs compared to the Selectric. But then what do I know? I'm no "expert".

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey WW, I still have one of them sitting around here somewhere.<br />Never tried to change the balls, but do know they came off. :(

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> You can hire 10 "experts" and you'll get 10 different answers as to what color the sky is.<br /><br />As I understand it, the font is in question as is a few "th" superscripts that appear. The IBM Selectric typewriter had them and they were widely available back then. My High School typing class had them in 1970, so I'm sure they were around at least a few years before that. Many people seem to think only of the old style typewriters that had individual keys. Not so with the Selectric. It had a ball with letters on it. You could get a number of different typefaces and you could switch balls in seconds. And they had the "th", "st", "nd", "1/2", and a few others. I clearly remember having fun typing on those in class. But my parents had the old kind and I really hated practicing on them. Stone axes and clubs compared to the Selectric. But then what do I know? I'm no "expert".
Yeah, WillyB, you just keep dreaming. At least one of those documents is a 100% identical overlay with Microsoft Word default font.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) It's called "RATINGS!!!!" ;) :cool:

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Being as biased as they appear to be...I wonder if CBS go so far as donating money to any politicians or partisan organisations...? Not out of the question, since I noticed on CNN that Time Warner are the 2nd biggest career donor to John Kerry at a total of $ 276,466. I wonder what sort of return they expect from their investment ?<br /><br />IMHO the best quality news sources are the unbiased ones...they're just hard to find.<br /><br /> http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/special/president/fec/gallery.cpi.general/content.4.html

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> It's called "RATINGS!!!!"
They pay Dan $7,000,000 to finish LAST in the ratings every night. Not last by a little mind you, by a substantial margin. The last I heard CBS pulls a .6 Neilson share for the CBS evening news.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

60 minutes, and CBS have been so obviously liberal and so obviously trying to sway the minds of American people that way that I never watch their news shows. And I'm a news junkie.

Ralph 123

Captain

There is a big difference between thinking something and knowing it. For decades many Americans thought the main stream media (MSM) was biased left. Now, they know it is. Not so much because CBS aired forged documents without much scrutiny, but because of the way they have stonewalled and refused to investigate once legitimate questions were raised. <br /><br />This marks the beginning of the end of the blind trust Americans gave to the MSM. No longer will it be enough for a journalist to say Trust Me Now Americans will demand proof. Not unnamed sources. Not questionable documents but proof. Cold, hard, irrefutable proof. The MSM lost it's monopoly on information and truth this last week. It was taken back by the people and the tool of the emancipation was the Internet. The great equalizer. Never again will journalist have the power to define truth<br /><br />Respectfully, Ralph, Member of the Pajama Truth Mafia :) Funny how the "Journalist in Pajamas" took down CBS Dan! What's that say about CBS? Kiss my @$$ Rather you elitist SOB!

ob

Admiral

Ralph,I don't think I quite understand your stance on this topic.Could you be a bit more assertive in your assessment of Dan Rather and your true feelings of his journalistic expertise. :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea Ralph, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :D

ob

Admiral

There once was a man called Dan Rather<br />Who enjoyed his passion of blather<br />About current events<br />From his side of the fence<br />In the old days his mouth would get lather.

gaugeguy

Captain

Way to go, Ralph :D Are you sure you aren't Howie Carr :)

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I have had to deal with the press on two seperate issues. I have known since then, that they have agendas and they want you to follow them. I have no respect for them at all.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

None of what they have tried to portray as "truth" sould puprise anyone. I think the only ones suprised by the direction this took,and will take, is CBS admin itself.<br />Before this is over, Kerry himself may be doing time (depending on how much he had to do with it directly). It's fun to watch the liberal spin machine desintegrate, and make Rush Limbaugh's pill addiction look like a pill addiction compared to attempting to overthrow the election process.