Thinking of getting a sailboat . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

southkogs

Staff member
Okay, that the construction type was consistent with what I was used to ... the solution to the floor sounds better than what I was thinkin'

tpenfield

Staff member
I got the title for the boat in the mail yesterday, so that is a good thing :thumb:

The PO's proof of ownership (from NH) had a couple of typos in it, so I was not sure that the MA authorities would accept it. They either didn't notice or didn't mind. They were more concerned about taxes and fees paid. :)

southkogs

Staff member
" ... ya' gotta' know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em ..."

tpenfield

Staff member
" ... ya' gotta' know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em ..."

Yup, I didn't say anything when I went into the Boat DMV office . . . The guy behind me in line had bigger problems . . .

robgunther87

Cadet
Nice boat you got there. You might have motivated me enough to buy one myself! I'll be sure to follow your restoration.

tpenfield

Staff member
Nice boat you got there. You might have motivated me enough to buy one myself! I'll be sure to follow your restoration.

Thanks, I thought that the Mariner was a good size, not too big and not too small. There is a good following and the boat is still made, which is a rarity.

Adi99

Recruit
I had a Catalina 22 for about 7 years (1997 - 2004) and sold it to buy my Formula 242 powerboat. There are days when a couple hour sail would be nice, so I have been thinking of getting a smaller sailboat . . . 17-20 foot range. Something that would not be a lot of hassle to use.

A couple of boats have peaked my interest:

O'Day Mariner 19 foot

Lockley Newport 17 foot

There are many of the Mariners in my area on CL, but only a couple of the Lockley's. So, I am thinking about the Mariner since it has a bigger following.

Anyone of the sailing community here have any inputs on either boat? :noidea:

It looks like the Mariners went through several stages of evolution from its inception in 1963. I think I would go for one of the later models (1972+).

Apparently O'Day sold off the production rights for the Mariner to Rebel in the 1980's, and then that was again sold of to Stuart Marine. The boat is still made today.

In my searching, I did come across an S2 6.7 and an S2 6.9 Gran Slam. Those might be too big for casual usage, but maybe some day as an upgrade.
I would highly suggest to first try and rent a boat, preferably similar to the one you want, different companies and then see which one suits you best, bets of luck!

ahicks

Captain
I would avoid a white deck. Hard to keep clean, and the sails are bright enough (too bright really) on a sunny day. Make it something friendly to your eyes, an off white maybe.

And unless it's going to be a trailer sailer, roller furling is about the best gift you can give yourself.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks, I thought that the Mariner was a good size, not too big and not too small. There is a good following and the boat is still made, which is a rarity.
Since people can't read that you bought one over 5 years ago, this is closed. Let us know if you want it re-opened, Ted.

Status
Not open for further replies.