Thinking about an upgrade for the tow vehicle

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted..... its your money.

however finding a 7 year old truck with the specs you are exactly looking for may be a needle in a stack of needles. that 4.3 diff was a special order. 99% of the diffs you find will be the 3.73

plenty of cab and chassis with the 4.3 diff as they were utilitarian. (there go the creature features).

1697710504173.png

the first order of business would be to find that very specific truck you are looking for.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, the 4.3 differentials are almost non-existent. Thinking I could convert or swap out the rear-end, if I had to. I did find something similar in the Dodge Ram (6.4 Gasser w/ 4.1 differential option listed on the window sticker), but only 1 truck so far.

Probably will matter when the time comes. Got to do some IT Consulting and boat seat upholstery first, so the Admiral doesn't cringe at the thought.

It does seem like finding a needle in a hay stack, then trying to thread that needle. This whole situation reminds me of a saying we have in IT . . . "the impossible we can do, miracles take a bit longer" :ROFLMAO:

alldodge

Staff member
Find a regular cab and get more capacity with same truck

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Only other thing I'll add is that some insurance companies will treat a cab/chassis different than their same 250/350 variety... read cost you more to insure. I haven't had an issue with it though they pushed the issue with our last 2500 but ultimately dropped it. One more thing to consider is all.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ted, you can build a frankentruck to do what you want for about $7-10k. you would have to redo the interior.

a combination of https://www.ironplanet.com/Pickup+Trucks?kwtag=cat-trucks
a little of https://www.ridesafely.com/en/salvage-truck-auction-search?cntc=US&rgn=NORTHEAST&

maybe start with one of these

or
or

get replacement panels from https://www.lkqcorp.com/

some paint. https://scheibpaintandbody.com/

finish it off with a bit of this. https://katzkin.com/

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, insurance would be a concern. My Admiral does commercial insurance, so she can get the rates of any potential truck, so the $$$ is known in advance.

BTW - She told me that my boat insurance is $2,300/yr o_O

Scott Danforth

Staff member
BTW - She told me that my boat insurance is $2,300/yr o_O
actual operation of the vessel is always the cheap part. even filling a 300 gallon tank at a fuel dock.....

its the back-side costs of boating that are high..... maintenance, upkeep, insurance, support vehicles....

alldodge

Staff member
My insurance is $1200 from Chubb but I'm inland and in storage from Nov 1 to April 1

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - I am have found a few Ram 2500 trucks (2014 - 2018 model years) with the 6.4 Gasser and the 4.10 Differential. Per the original window sticker. Towing rating is 15K + lbs.

So, when the time comes it might be an easier find in the Ram line-up.

tpenfield

Staff member
My un-scientific survey indicates that about 10% of the Dodge 2500 series have the 4.10 differential option (as per the Monroney label , i.e. 'Window Sticker'). I have yet to find a Ford 250 that has the 4.30 differential.

So, my easier path may be the 2014 or newer Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4, 4.1 Diffy. There are 3 of them currently for sale in my area.

alldodge

Staff member
My 08 had the 4:10 and heavier springs (camper package) and talk about something that would pull. New one does ok, but the but not like the 08

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a 2023 F350 Powerstroke this year. It cost more than the annual budget of Peru, and I had to wait a year for it to be built.
But, as I was towing my new-to-me '07 Chaparral 256 SSI home from Utah yesterday, freshly weighed at 8100 pounds at the Utah/Wyoming I-80 port of entry, and I was going up a 4.5% grade at 71 mph on cruise, it never shifted out of 10th gear, and reminded my of what an improvement it is over some older trucks that I had. Absolutely amazing power.

Attachments

• truck7.jpg
    truck7.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 4

alldodge

Staff member
I bought a 2023 F350 Powerstroke this year. It cost more than the annual budget of Peru, and I had to wait a year for it to be built.
But, as I was towing my new-to-me '07 Chaparral 256 SSI home from Utah yesterday, freshly weighed at 8100 pounds at the Utah/Wyoming I-80 port of entry, and I was going up a 4.5% grade at 71 mph on cruise, it never shifted out of 10th gear, and reminded my of what an improvement it is over some older trucks that I had. Absolutely amazing power.
Nice truck but at 8100 the F150 could have done it according to specs (14000)

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
It says that on the tow capacity charts, but, living in the Colorado Rockies, if you tow 8,000 lbs with a truck rated for 10,000, you will have a moment of clarity where you resolve to never do that again. I like a little headroom.

tpenfield

Staff member
@Leardriver No doubt that the new trucks have awesome towing capabilities as you attest to. The fact that since 2015 most/all towing vehicles are spec'ed according to the SAE J2807 guidelines would indicate a measure of truth to the numbers. I also think there is significance in when the transition to the SAE guidelines occurred, the ratings did not go down. So, the ratings prior to 2015 were pretty solid to begin with.

My 2012 F-150 EcoBoost would easily tow the 256 SSI rig at that weight. (The F-150's of that year were rated up to 11,300 lbs.) So, not surprising the the F-350 would not even need to down-shift.

I know the 2021 (and up) F-150's are rated up to 14,000 lbs. (there are only a few configurations of the F-150 that meet that number BTW). Many of the other config's are in the 13K lb range (still excellent). I'm not sure if there is a ton of difference in the 2012 F-150 EB vs. the 2021 F-150 EB's, perhaps a little beefier all around. My limited experience towing 14K lbs on the back roads with the F-150 is having me thinking it is a little out-matched for that weight. Stopping is more the issue, but EoH brakes can certainly help.

If money were no object, I could/would get a brandy new truck, and would probably get the F-250 PowerStroke . . . For me it is a matter of 'could' vs. 'should'. If you are ever in the Cape Cod area and want to 'test' your new F-350 with 14K lbs, I'm all in :LOL:

It seems like towing big loads (Boats, RV, etc.) is becoming more of a thing than it was in the past.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dad actually has one of those max tow 22 F150s. While what it's rated to tow is excellent, it typically runs out of pay load pretty quick before you can really get there when I started running the numbers.

I run my boat around with my colorado. Totally different world when compared to half tons on up. Though I will say I did a 700 mile trip at its max tow and I was pleasantly surprised how well it did 7000lbs and a sail in tow. I ran the Ford on that same loop and trailer too and other than the ecoboost having a lot more power... neither was a white knuckle experience even with some 40mph cross winds. Modern vehicles are very very good towing wise. Though both trucks were pretty deep into single digit MPGs. That 36 gallon tank on the Ford gets small quick lol.

I do feel the vehicles being better equipped and more somewhat affordable access to the trailering apparatus is why we're seeing larger overall rigs now. Though the price of trucks over the last 4 years has gotten absolutely insane. The original sticker on the f150 had a ridiculous market adjustment attached to it. A lot of people would pay that too sadly.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The fact that since 2015 most/all towing vehicles are spec'ed according to the SAE J2807 guidelines would indicate a measure of truth to the numbers. I also think there is significance in when the transition to the SAE guidelines occurred, the ratings did not go down. So, the ratings prior to 2015 were pretty solid to begin with.
Remember the F150 went to an aluminum body in 2015. Lost almost #700 over the 2014 models.

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - I am finding a few Ford F-250 & F-350's with the gas engines & 4.30 rear end meaning the 15K tow rating. Some of them have the higher GVWR (11K & 14K), so those would not be the best choice and my GCWR would be over the 26,000 lb. non-CDL limit.

I'm seeing a lot of the F-250's and a few of the F-350's with 10,000 GVWR, which would meet my desire to stay under the 26K lb mark.

With the trailer my GCWR would be 10,000 (vehicle) + 15,600 (Trailer) = 25,600 lb :D

Scott Danforth

Staff member
As long as you do not have a cooler full of beer along