Thinking about an upgrade for the tow vehicle

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A 105 qt cooler full of ice/fish/beer is about 300#

A 200qt would put you way over

alldodge

Staff member
I think your getting wrapped around the axle ;) about the GVWR. Suggest calling law enforcement and ask them what the rules are

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
The only people who'd give you a hard time about GCWR would be DOT or state police. (Lots of experience both personal and with driving my self) The local guys, and I say this having a bunch of friends all over the state in LEO, don't know much of anything about it. That being said, even DOT and SP won't bother a vehicle not plated or labeled for commercial use. I agree you may be reading into it a little too much.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't mention that only because I didn't want to put that in the air.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
@Leardriver No doubt that the new trucks have awesome towing capabilities as you attest to. The fact that since 2015 most/all towing vehicles are spec'ed according to the SAE J2807 guidelines would indicate a measure of truth to the numbers. I also think there is significance in when the transition to the SAE guidelines occurred, the ratings did not go down. So, the ratings prior to 2015 were pretty solid to begin with.

My 2012 F-150 EcoBoost would easily tow the 256 SSI rig at that weight. (The F-150's of that year were rated up to 11,300 lbs.) So, not surprising the the F-350 would not even need to down-shift.

I know the 2021 (and up) F-150's are rated up to 14,000 lbs. (there are only a few configurations of the F-150 that meet that number BTW). Many of the other config's are in the 13K lb range (still excellent). I'm not sure if there is a ton of difference in the 2012 F-150 EB vs. the 2021 F-150 EB's, perhaps a little beefier all around. My limited experience towing 14K lbs on the back roads with the F-150 is having me thinking it is a little out-matched for that weight. Stopping is more the issue, but EoH brakes can certainly help.

If money were no object, I could/would get a brandy new truck, and would probably get the F-250 PowerStroke . . . For me it is a matter of 'could' vs. 'should'. If you are ever in the Cape Cod area and want to 'test' your new F-350 with 14K lbs, I'm all in :LOL:

It seems like towing big loads (Boats, RV, etc.) is becoming more of a thing than it was in the past.
I would love to visit there. I dropped some people off in Nantucket in August, and have always loved the area. If I only had to tow the boat, I would have an F150 with a 3.5 Eco Boost. My horse trailer that is specially built for my Clydesdale gets up to 12K plus.

tpenfield

Staff member
The DOT / CDL stuff is available online. The wording is a little tricky. I tend to agree that local police may not be as aware of the limits than the DOT folks, or how to calculate them. While towing, I have the wide load banners, so that alone may draw attention. (I get the single trip permits) In the event of being stopped by a LEO, I just want the vehicle/trailer weight ratings to come out favorably (below 26,001 lbs) in case the issue arises.

My main concern is liability and safety going forward, particularly for highway towing, to avoid or in case of a mishap. If the vehicle is rated to tow the weight, then it is a much better situation to be in. I think the insurance and coverage after-the-fact issues are becoming more of a concern for folks in general.

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - On our way to the summer house this weekend, there was a crash on the highway of what appeared to be a mid-sized SUV towing a massive RV trailer. The rig was spun around, facing the wrong way up against the guard rail in the median area. The trailer was on its side and pretty much fallen apart. The tow vehicle was upright, but also looked to be totaled. It looked to be a single vehicle mishap . . . I though to myself as we drove by . . . "I wonder what the tow rating of that vehicle was" . . . :unsure:

tpenfield

Staff member
Standard tow ratings are a bit light . . . and . . . Not a fan of GM vehicles

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
@tpenfield , back about 2003/4 The office I worked at was on a curve on US 41 in De Pere Wisconsin with a good view of 2 miles of highway in both directions.

Watching traffic one lunch hour, there was a family with all their belongings loaded into a 36' travel trailer. They loaded most in the back, tongue weight must have been negative numbers. They can off the down ramp, made it about .2 miles before the trailer started to whip so badly the trailer spun the tow vehicle around. Both barrel rolled backwards thru the ditch, over the barrier fence and onto the frontage road.

They did not get hurt, but they also did not have insurance.

They were most likely 30% over the tow limit, and without proper tongue weight, doomed.

flashback

Captain
@tpenfield , back about 2003/4 The office I worked at was on a curve on US 41 in De Pere Wisconsin with a good view of 2 miles of highway in both directions.

Watching traffic one lunch hour, there was a family with all their belongings loaded into a 36' travel trailer. They loaded most in the back, tongue weight must have been negative numbers. They can off the down ramp, made it about .2 miles before the trailer started to whip so badly the trailer spun the tow vehicle around. Both barrel rolled backwards thru the ditch, over the barrier fence and onto the frontage road.

They did not get hurt, but they also did not have insurance.

They were most likely 30% over the tow limit, and without proper tongue weight, doomed.
I saw a very similar event once out of Atlanta heading south on 75. The truck probably had the towing capacity but the trailer took over and slung the PU around like a rag doll.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ironically all my personal vehicles are GMs... No real particular reason for it other than they tended to have better road manners when road tested to me... However the HD lineup is lighter on tow rating, I agree. If you want the piece of paper to say everything is legal, stick to fiat or ford.

fafraname

Recruit
The emergency response team I am on has both a 6.0 and 6.8 of the same vintage we use... I've run both with trailers about the weight you are looking at and I don't think I would want either personally. 6.0 is just a little weak but it gets the job done. The 6.8 screams with the same load as the 6.0. I know what problems can come of a 6.0 so I'd preferably avoid one, bulletproofed or not.