They have a 9.9 now

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was just looking at their website again tonight. Thought it was a neat idea just seems so much cleaner then dealing with gasoline. When I looked at website a few months ago the engines were on the smaller side. Now I see they have a 9.9. looks like its designed to use a larger tank only, but that's ok. Now my next ?? is how much do one of these bad boys retail for.

If the price is comparable to a gas powered one I may seriously think of purchasing one as a kicker/trolling motor.

jbonet

Recruit
Re: They have a 9.9 now

I purchased a 9.9 HP engine from West Marine supplies in Vancouver Canada.
The engine was extremely difficult to start. After 30 pulls we finally got it going. called Lehr, they confirmed that indeed because of the high compression ratio and low ignition properties of proprane this was a problem I had to try to overcome with an fast and super vigorous pull!

It ran less than an hour when it suddenly came to a grinding halt!! It leaked all the oil! There was no warning alarm such as a light or sound that could could help avert this.

I went back to West Marine Supplies, Incredibly, they claimed that they were not responsible for the product, neither for the for aftermarket service.

Called the US Lehr distributor, 4 days later they gave me a list of certified service centers in Vancouver. Only one is actually qualified to repair it. Naturally he's overloaded and can look at it in a week.

Final impression: Poorly built engine, pathetic reliability, dismal West Marine Supplies support, limited access to certified service, slow response from Lehr.

Definitely wouldn't recommend it.:mad-new:

Was just looking at their website again tonight. Thought it was a neat idea just seems so much cleaner then dealing with gasoline. When I looked at website a few months ago the engines were on the smaller side. Now I see they have a 9.9. looks like its designed to use a larger tank only, but that's ok. Now my next ?? is how much do one of these bad boys retail for.

If the price is comparable to a gas powered one I may seriously think of purchasing one as a kicker/trolling motor.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It ran less than an hour when it suddenly came to a grinding halt!! It leaked all the oil! There was no warning alarm such as a light or sound that could could help avert this.

I hope you put oil in it before you first started it! Most small 4-stroke outboards come WITHOUT oil because of shipping restrictions.

Troubleshooting - Oil Leaks

I looked at one at West Marine in Fife, Wa.

It was a 5hp I think. I would think that you would want to use at least a 3 gallon or so propane bottle to get any sort of range in a small boat.

When I compare the Lehr 9.9 to my 9.8hp Tohatsu, there's no comparison. It's about $500 MORE to buy.

I don't think they're "there" yet.....

jbonet

Recruit

If it leaked oil all over the engine I presume it had to be added first. Of course I added the oil as specified in the manual and checked the level before starting it.
I firmly believe that Lehr is not competitive with the rest of the O/B market neither in quality nor in service.(I'm still waiting to find somebody to look at mine two weeks after it ran out of oil)
Bottom line if you want to save yourself a headache don't buy one.

I hope you put oil in it before you first started it! Most small 4-stroke outboards come WITHOUT oil because of shipping restrictions.

Troubleshooting - Oil Leaks

I looked at one at West Marine in Fife, Wa.

It was a 5hp I think. I would think that you would want to use at least a 3 gallon or so propane bottle to get any sort of range in a small boat.

When I compare the Lehr 9.9 to my 9.8hp Tohatsu, there's no comparison. It's about $500 MORE to buy.

I don't think they're "there" yet.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If it leaked oil all over the engine I presume it had to be added first. Of course I added the oil as specified in the manual and checked the level before starting it.
I firmly believe that Lehr is not competitive with the rest of the O/B market neither in quality nor in service.(I'm still waiting to find somebody to look at mine two weeks after it ran out of oil)
Bottom line if you want to save yourself a headache don't buy one.

I don't how West Marine does it in Canada, but next time I'm over at West Marine, I'll ask them what happens if a new one fails more or less right out of the box.......Would they exchange it?...........

If they say they'd refer me to Lehr, that might not be a good thing.

I assume you are in contact with their service people, bugging them daily?

Contact |
http://golehr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Warranty_Claim_Form.pdf