1986 Volvo AQ131A Motor Dies at High Speeds

R Wallerr

Cadet
Good Morning Gentlemen. I have a 1986 Volvo Capri 131A. I took it out to the lake yesterday and, as always, it ran like a top except after running at WOT for a couple of minutes, the motor would die. After letting it sit for 2-3 minutes it would start back up and run great. Then the same thing would happen at WOT again.

The only thing I can think of is that I was bad over the winter and did not drain the gas tank nor put Stabil in it. There was about an 1/8th of a tank in it and I added 10 gallons of new gas before going out that morning.

Could gunk and debris caused by the old fuel clogged my filter(s) and caused this problem or should I be looking for something else?

Your help is appreciated.

captmello

Captain
Re: 1986 Volvo AQ131A Motor Dies at High Speeds

It sounds like your not getting enough fuel. Fuel filter maybe...

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the fuel pickup in the tank too. They usually have a screen on them and after 24 years yours might be gummed like mine was. I had very similar, but more severe, symptoms.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Could be a tank venting problem. try running the boat with out the gas cap on and see if still has the same problem.

Next step is to run on a small portable tank to see if still happens with that. Will point in which direction to look.

Have you replaced your filter?

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could be a bad coil . Need to check for spark when she will not start and if fuel goes in the carb .