Thermostat housing hole.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yer good...I would at least put a couple of bolts thru the clamps to mount it to hull
Been wondering if I should go ahead and bolt it and torch. It’s not like I’m removing the engine off and on. What are your thoughts on a transom saver while trailering? I’ve used one on all my bass boats. I grit my teeth every time I hit a rough spot and watch the motor flexing the transom.

Last edited:

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome back Doug, thought that were long vacationing at Easter Island LOL!! Was the transom height a XL size to match a L shaft motor ? Who chopped the transom down, the horizontal cut looks very uneven. What do you plan doing as not to move the trim setting when solo boating and boating with the Admiral ?

Happy Boating
I was told the original owner did all of that. They had a jet drive lower unit on it but kept it when the guy I got it from bought the boat. I’m solo most of the time. Haven’t had anybody in it since I’ve done the cabs. I have taken a big ice chest about half full ( to simulate for her) plus my gear in the boat it does good at the second pin with the motor tucked in just a little which is where I’ve been leaving it for better handling. Would like to try to go up a pitch on the prop but that will have to be later. I’ve got a big puzzle I’m trying to solve. I’m still needing to change the trailer up for loading and unloading. Im thinking this isn’t the original trailer and it’s a little small for the boat. Thought about putting a cross bunk up where the frame meets the tongue but I’m afraid it my stick unloading. There’s a small roller there now but to much weight was on it. I’ve raised the bunks in the rear and took the weight off but now the center is off all the center rollers which can’t be raised. I don’t know if the bunk supports are enough or should I lower it back down? I’ve added another roller with a bracket on the tongue since I took this picture and adjusted the winch. Had to move the jack. It floats off the trailer but was hanging on the bow stop so bad that when I let the winch out a little the boat slammed down on the spar tire. Have hopes the extra roller will cure that at least.

Attachments

• 702833D7-994A-4C2C-BD51-8C56333FAFB3.jpeg
    702833D7-994A-4C2C-BD51-8C56333FAFB3.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Wheel/tires look to big for the fenders.
frame looks level, but not the boat.
back end too high pushing more weight up front.
if you catch any rain while trailering it will not drain out and will get heavier in the front
no way to drain it unless you raise the front, so water will run to the back

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
So the motor is running much healthier now than before, right ? One less trim hole from 90 degl will make the boat to ride with the bow slight downward which is good as will need to shift less weight up front to plane faster.

What happened to the tach, did it finally read true, half or double idle and wot rpm's ? Why would you like to go for a + pitch prop from current one, if going that route the wot rpm will be lessened, boat will take longer to plane out. But without wot rpm data whichever was displayed it's a mistake to go that route...

Happy Boating

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
So the motor is running much healthier now than before, right ? One less trim hole from 90 degl will make the boat to ride with the bow slight downward which is good as will need to shift less weight up front to plane faster.

What happened to the tach, did it finally read true, half or double idle and wot rpm's ? Why would you like to go for a + pitch prop from current one, if going that route the wot rpm will be lessened, boat will take longer to plane out. But without wot rpm data whichever was displayed it's a mistake to go that route...

Happy Boating
I am running it below 90 deg. now. I haven’t been out to check the tach again. Been busy with other things. I’m getting a spare prop further down the road. Good idea to have one around here. By then I’ll know if I need a different pitch or not.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I am running it below 90 deg. now. I haven’t been out to check the tach again. Been busy with other things. I’m getting a spare prop further down the road. Good idea to have one around here. By then I’ll know if I need a different pitch or not.
Order a new prop once you know the wot rpm achieved on a water test with current installed prop, not before or worse going for the same prop pitch.

Happy Boating

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wheel/tires look to big for the fenders.
frame looks level, but not the boat.
back end too high pushing more weight up front.
if you catch any rain while trailering it will not drain out and will get heavier in the front
no way to drain it unless you raise the front, so water will run to the back
I was adjusting the winch and a few other things in this picture. I keep it jacked up to drain. You’re right when I raised the bunks an inch and raised the winch it took weight off the front roller but the boat isn’t level. When launching the lip hangs on the bow stop and once slipped off it slamming on the front of the trailer I’ve added a roller but haven’t been to the ramp yet. I built a different bow stop also. The old one was a small hard rubber. This one should move with the boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Order a new prop once you know the wot rpm achieved on a water test with current installed prop, not before or worse going for the same prop pitch.

Happy Boating
By the time I can afford the new prop I’ll know all I need to know is what I’m saying. It’s going to be a while. Working on closing on a house right now.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I was adjusting the winch and a few other things in this picture. I keep it jacked up to drain. You’re right when I raised the bunks an inch and raised the winch it took weight off the front roller but the boat isn’t level. When launching the lip hangs on the bow stop and once slipped off it slamming on the front of the trailer I’ve added a roller but haven’t been to the ramp yet. I built a different bow stop also. The old one was a small hard rubber. This one should move with the boat.
Looks like wrong trailer for that boat.

here are pics of my trailer while I was replacing the cross members and bunk brackets and of my 16ft boat on the trailer
4 bunk boards
the 2 on the inside are 10ft long & support the boat well up front ,and the outer are 5 ft
004.JPG ,006.JPG

009.JPG

Last edited:

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like wrong trailer for that boat.

here are pics of my trailer while I was replacing the cross members and bunk brackets and of my 16ft boat on the trailer
4 bunk boards
the 2 on the inside are 10ft long & support the boat well up front ,and the outer are 5 ft
View attachment 338481 ,View attachment 338482

View attachment 338489
Yes sir. I didn’t realize it when I bought it for a project boat. Now I’m kind of stuck trying to make it work. Was thinking of a cross bunk where the frame meets the tongue. There’s a 5” roller there now that was pinched and not working until I got some of the weight off it and fixed it. Now I’m having the other problems. Not sure if a cross bunk is the right thing to do or not. Boats a 1982 Monark 1652 so I’m thinking not the original trailer. It’s in good shape. No corrosion, just to small.
Nice rig ! I like the way you got it set up.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
thanks,
I push pole along the shallows site fishing for reds here on the Texas coastal bays.

came up on a woman and her daughter walking and pulling a flat bottom boat with no motor on it some years back.
when I got close enough I asked if they needed any help.
about that time they picked up a motor out of the water and set it into the boat.
they were running along and hit the shallows and the motor jumped up off the transom and into the water.
I would put a couple of bolts in yours just to make sure, those clamps do not always work good enough.
I tied onto them and pulled them back to the boat ramp several miles away

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks,
I push pole along the shallows site fishing for reds here on the Texas coastal bays.

came up on a woman and her daughter walking and pulling a flat bottom boat with no motor on it some years back.
when I got close enough I asked if they needed any help.
about that time they picked up a motor out of the water and set it into the boat.
they were running along and hit the shallows and the motor jumped up off the transom and into the water.
I would put a couple of bolts in yours just to make sure, those clamps do not always work good enough.
I tied onto them and pulled them back to the boat ramp several miles away
I’m in central Texas in land fishing. A stump on a lake or rock on the river though. Think I will bolt it. I check it out before every trip how ever. My last time out it was windy and I was on the bow running the trolling motor in the waves. The clamps must have loosened on around the 5 th hour I turn sharp and the trolling motor popped off. I was doing a Bill Dance getting it shut off and back on board. Lol I’ll be checking the clamps every hour from now on. And use a lanyard. Wouldn’t happen to know what the best metal my bolts should be so they don’t react to aluminum? I know to use a sealant but this will be my first time putting a bolt through a transom.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
316 SS would be my thoughts
Thanks. One more question. Do you use a transom saver while on the road? When I leave the highway I swear I see the motor back there flexing the transom on the uneven paths I go down.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
By the time I can afford the new prop I’ll know all I need to know is what I’m saying. It’s going to be a while. Working on closing on a house right now.
Oh,on post 239 in the picture you can see the Velcro on the handle. That’s where the tach rides. When at home it’s under the front of the cowl to keep it out of the weather. It’s ran straight from the first plug wire to there. Going down that side of the motor also keeps it away from any other wiring. I need to launch the boat run it to check the tach. Then come in and adjust the trailer at the dock. My problem is I keep wanting to fish every time I go and I’m not getting all my maintenance done. It’s been 2 or 3 weeks so I need to at least run it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Thanks. One more question. Do you use a transom saver while on the road? When I leave the highway I swear I see the motor back there flexing the transom on the uneven paths I go down.
my rig is high enough while on trailer that I leave the motor down while trailering and have not hit anything yet.
I have Power tilt and trim so motor does not move.

yours would be interesting to see where you could hook onto the trailer with a saver.

I just looked again at your last pic when hooked to truck, and it has a lot of ground clearance so you could leave it down also.
I would think a bungee or ratchet strap from lower unit to trailer should work to keep the motor from bouncing too much maybe

Last edited:

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
. It’s been a while guys

Happy Boating.
Hello searider, it’s been a while and I’m hoping to get back at the boat soon. I raised the left side of the trailer to help the rain drain and discovered that I have to now do the wheel bearings. Everything maintenance wise was completely neglected by the previous owner. I have a question for you about a discovery I made. Remember me complaining about hard starting and rough idle and a sneeze, not priming right either. After a whole new fuel system and completely rebuilt carburetors.I tried adjusting all three pilots one at a time but never got a change either way. My discovery was the new fuel connectors on the motor side were not matching up and sealing. Leaking fuel of course. I replaced them with the old ones and it now holds prime great and no leaks. Problem is I have not been able to run it yet and it’s driving me crazy and its going to be a little while longer. Do you think I could have solved my problems? I’m wondering if the connectors where sucking air? I hope so after all I have in it. And I need it running good to check rpms at wot because I’m going to have to get another prop soon. I don’t know if I clipped something at the ramp but I noticed the prop has a bend on the tip of a blade with a small crack. Just wanted an opinion about those fittings being my trouble since I can’t run it right now. Not even on the muffs because I had to move the boat over to our other lot because of a little fixing up we’re doing and have no water access . Like I said it’s been driving me crazy since I haven’t been able to run it to see. I have the silencer in my shop and had some time today to drill those holes and cleaned it up good. I’ll let you know when I’m ready to decarb so you can walk me through it. I want to do it when I’ll be able to take it to the water afterwards and run it good. Thanks again for your help and sharing your knowledge.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hello Doug,

Have not replied to previous trailer posts as don't need a trailer to use at a boat ramp nor tow it for long distances, just crane up-dowm my Rib which sits on a simple trailer and towed at a distance not greater than 60 meters from where it's stored to the pier/crane. Wheel bearings are a must change if never before has been serviced, grease the new ones with a proper water grease and re grease them from time to time to last longer.

Female connector's o'rings with time and constant hookings on the male connector will be screwed and let air in and motor hesitate, miss at higher throttle settings. Al least Tohatsu's connector behaves as such don't know about Yam ones. If you prime the bulb till firm and there's no fuel spills on the entire fuel line/ciruit shouldn't be a notorious issue while at idle.

CRC decarbon should make the motor to idle much smoother, once ready to go, let me know. Was checking the posted transom's pics, out of curiosity how good are you cutting, filing an alum transom ?

Happy Boating

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Doug,

Have not replied to previous trailer posts as don't need a trailer to use at a boat ramp nor tow it for long distances, just crane up-dowm my Rib which sits on a simple trailer and towed at a distance not greater than 60 meters from where it's stored to the pier/crane. Wheel bearings are a must change if never before has been serviced, grease the new ones with a proper water grease and re grease them from time to time to last longer.

Female connector's o'rings with time and constant hookings on the male connector will be screwed and let air in and motor hesitate, miss at higher throttle settings. Al least Tohatsu's connector behaves as such don't know about Yam ones. If you prime the bulb till firm and there's no fuel spills on the entire fuel line/ciruit shouldn't be a notorious issue while at idle.

CRC decarbon should make the motor to idle much smoother, once ready to go, let me know. Was checking the posted transom's pics, out of curiosity how good are you cutting, filing an alum transom ?

Happy Boating
Those fittings where new. I know the male was OEM but I may have used an after market female that said it was for Yamaha and they didn’t get along and leaked. Now there are no leaks and the bulb primes up firm and stays that way for a while. I’ll be moving it back to the driveway in a day or so and fire it up. Im working out the better fitting of the boat on the trailer. As for the bearings I always keep them greased. They get a few pumps from the gun every trip to push out any water. I should have pulled the wheels when I first got the rig and checked them. I let the motor keep me occupied. These won’t be the first ones I’ve replaced so I got this unless I find the hub bad or the worst would be the spindles. That’ll ruin your day. I want to get the rpms at wot without to many runs. The prop isn’t looking to healthy. Should I run the boat with a light load (just my gear) since this will be most of the time?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You definitely need to repair/replace the prop as it will cause too much loss of thrust. RPM will be high and speed low and both readings will be incorrect.