The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Jeez sorry guess I'm slacking here. :lol: Well I didn't really gain any speed 43.2 GPS but it gets there really quick. This boat has a ton of drag with the huge deadrise and the 17p prop does pretty darn good at getting me to the magic RPM so I won't be propping up any since the boat can only get heavier from here on out.

I was busy this morning pulling the SS out of the hangar for good. The admiral sent out orders so I've been mucking out my mess, well helping her muck out my mess. :D

She said I'm a hoarder and then made me haul all my memories out to the burn pile. This made for a sad end to the boat work, 3 restos worth of plywood pieces that reminded me of when I cut them. What do you guys think, do I have a problem wanting to hold onto all that? :sentimental:

y4mCnO2gHVLpsfUGqex0z-2q_Y4Z-FBYMu3awEBhVX63ZDKAQDeUM_iHE2PnnbsE0NH_ooAvsYTq-wiGF87UHP1T1tb357AWrsPfTUg_wlWimNd8JjAuAQKKrLsacVmxRoCD8QnFqXl1ZtbYV08Qfa0gZ4KLgv2nd9UzQ3zsOcziyWBedpA0xqgHryeBK8meg8sOVlqw2mR7oHnqH52VHuZig

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander
I think you would get 50 mph or close to it with a 19 or 21 pitch prop, as for the plywood pieces I also have a herd time getting rid of them, always need a small piece when rebuilding, hate to cut into a large sheet just to get a small one, good luck LOL

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I always save some plywood scraps stuck up in the rafters. Beats buying a whole sheet when you had just what you needed and it went up in smoke.

But - A happy wife................................:D

Watermann

Oh I have a pile of various thickness pieces I didn't toss out that are stacked along one wall, larger sizes there was no way I would toss them. I would've rat holed all of it though if left up to me. :lol:

Yeah John I don't know if I want to add any pitch but the way it pulls out of the hole and how quick it gets to 5800 RPMs I think it could handle a 19p just fine. When at WOT I can trim this 17p up and get to 5800 and have to stop so it doesn't over rev. This boat will not porpoise at all, the prop will blow a rooster tail and the motor will let out a mighty roar without the bow giving off so much as a bobble. The CMC unit has no trouble at all trimming the 140 so that worry is in the past so I need revisit that thread and update it for the future reference.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
I got 51 MPH with a 19 pitch on a 2001 merc 125 HP. don't know if the newer year makes any difference but it jumped out of the hole crazy fast.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great to hear shes running right. You know my feelings on props. I want the boat as fast as she can be. Just my thing. Sounds like you could live with the 17 and a new prop is an expensive way to gain 7ish MPH if you're already happy. 43 is no joke. I'd already be online ordering a 19 though. Lol

Watermann

Yeah I hear you guys on the prop but I think I'm ok with the 17p, it's kind of like my old Chevy truck with the 4:10 gears. :lol:

The yearly week long vacation started yesterday with my 2 buddies and I was real happy to be able to take the SS out for it's first fishing trip. We fish a different lake every day of the week with the furthest being about a hour drive. Everything worked flawlessly, motor both elec and the Merc. The livewell worked just fine to store some nice smallmouth bass and the LW parts from Alaska were there when I got home. :lol:.

y4mUcG1ncgW0RRgERcwFCLEcpPNU8aGcsmI_rT7Rmuwz1W_9bnW7k02_aeEfQ_dvfC__Vz7XA8vYHhbSM8uH_JhaildXeDmaJ_ZT9DE3blmlTYGv-okSfN7iRPTBBfr_46QPpaYLpLKcRr0LwVaC-BGryjDvjaUvlItPqd5mgjfBD_WkGTI-rXv5eZnARkwsm6MZlsWEDzMY6l2vrhLXeet-g

Resto buddy and his little smally along with Grumpy Seaman Yarney

y4msO85QDQ94ueDYX7_jCsPVMV_6aB_uECQGqVPUMt5y4r0GTBO_h_XcqQoPlkhlN7s3hveXs5eGvstlRlzhSLrQ36t1bkFmTK507K7cLcNfS7dWJ0E2NZffBfMLB1l-ZqqeeS-4ESJ3cnzR8iT4plphaLp_AoJoYz6eAGPK5CpYhuiR4ouI9lJbuzW7npYGFy5BI1EOETeIlHOBTPBzws0BA

Last edited:

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Now that's the way to do it.

Excellent equipment.

Nice fish.

Good buddies.

Time off.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
That awesome V5 looks like a great fish catcher, have a good fishing holiday with the buddies.

dozerII

Admiral
She sure turned out awesome Rob, those are some great looking Bass. So what are you going to name it "The Wanderer"

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
You make me jealous! Nice boat, fish, and company. What could be better?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice Haulin'!

How hard was it to not want to fire-up the ToP after every cast to try a new spot in a different zip code? :madgrin:

delay18

Seaman Apprentice
This came out gorgeous. Fantastic build. I have one question for you though. How'd you go about painting the swoosh. Is there a template or something. My paint is pretty beat and when I repaint it, I want to be able keep the look of the swoosh. Thanks!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yeah I hear you guys on the prop but I think I'm ok with the 17p, it's kind of like my old Chevy truck with the 4:10 gears. :lol:

The yearly week long vacation started yesterday with my 2 buddies and I was real happy to be able to take the SS out for it's first fishing trip. We fish a different lake every day of the week with the furthest being about a hour drive. Everything worked flawlessly, motor both elec and the Merc. The livewell even worked just fine to store some nice smallmouth bass and the LW parts from Alaska were there when I got home. :lol:.
IMAG1624.jpg

Resto buddy and his little smally along with Grumpy Seaman Yarney

IMAG2906.jpg
Absolutely fantabulous! I am sooo envious. Haven't been fishing myself since January! :fish2:

Congrats again on a great boat, great friends, great fishing and a great time! :eagerness:

Last edited:

Watermann

Thanks for all the comments gents, it was great to have you along through the rebirth of my SS :yo:

Got back today and went under the trailer with wrenches and rattle gun to re-tighten all the bunk fasteners just in case and they needed tightening after settling over a couple hundred miles. Did the same with my Chief trailer and it amazes me how things get loosened up.

Another flawless great day on the water today for the SS at one of our premier PNW largemouth bass lakes. We did really well too.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
She floats! She runs! She catches fish!

I guess she traveled well, WM. All done! Except for the special Alaskan LW parts. LOL