The Waiting is the Hardest Part...

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What you could do is remove the sending unit and use a battery-operated pump( for a 5 gallon can), which I bought cheap at Harbor Freight. The bottom of my tank was v- shaped, so it got 99% of what was there.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
What you could do is remove the sending unit and use a battery-operated pump( for a 5 gallon can), which I bought cheap at Harbor Freight. The bottom of my tank was v- shaped, so it got 99% of what was there.
Good advice. I'm trying to be optimistic; I was messing with the run of fuel line that connects to the outboard itself, and might have simply caused a disintegrating hose to dislodge somewhere below deck.

Looks like I'm going to have a window to get back out to it later today, then we have a couple days of poor weather. So if it doesn't happen this evening, I'm probably not going to get back to it for a few more days still.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't have as much time as I'd have liked. Still not a lot of light left by the time my workday ends. I stayed out till after sunset, and worked for a while by lantern.

20220216_173518.jpg

20220216_173526.jpg

Got a good chunk of the deck out. Got down to the stringers. They are fully encapsulated in what I'd say is the best fiberglass work that I've seen so far on the entire boat... Thing is, the genius that worked on the boat at some point in it's former life used 3 inch deck screws to put down the floor, build a frame for the shoddily built ski locker 'door', and install cross members between the stringers, which I suspect was their answer to address soft spots prior to putting a 2nd floor on top of the old one.

20220216_172706.jpg

20220216_172711.jpg

20220216_172717.jpg

So that decent encapsulation was undone; the inside of the both stringers is basically soaking wet compost - about what I expected to find, to be honest.

I had a devil of a time getting through the decking directly over the fuel tank. I was able to use my oscillating multitool to get through the tabbing that tied the decking to the hull, but had to break out the circular saw in order to dice up the 3/4 ply. But in the end, I was able to expose the top of the fuel tank.20220216_181228.jpg

20220216_181206.jpg

Encountered a lot of foam. Pulled some of it out. There is some that's clearly from the factory, and is essentially just a water-saturated sponge now. There's also some stuff that seems to still be dry - I suspect it's from the aforementioned repair. It's dry, but seemed to have hastily and unevenly applied.

20220216_181217.jpg

Lastly - here's how much fuel has come out of the drain hole since I noticed it this morning.

20220216_181425.jpg

I was able to get more done than there are pics for - namely removing the side upholstered panels (more marine adhesive), including the starboard side one with the control box. Wasn't able to dismount it safely - they used some type of thread lock, and my drill/driver couldn't break them loose. I was hesitant to use the impact driver, as it has some sort of plastic backing plate that looked kind of fragile But it looks like that might be my next step. Got them soaked down with WD-40; maybe that'll do the trick.

20220216_174708.jpg

We've got a front coming in, so it's not likely that I'll be able to get back to it for a few days. But, given the limited time that I had, I still made progress... Just really wish I'd been able to get that tank out of there.

Last edited:

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I started the day wanting to accomplish two things: 1) get the gas tank out, and 2) safely liberate the control box from the upholstered panel that I took out the last time.

I didn't accomplish either, and for a while it kinda got me down. But, looking back on where I started vs where I ended up today, I did get a lot done.

I got all but one of the glued in screws out of the control box. Broke down and used the impact driver which I should have had the balls to do initially. The fourth screwhead, I unfortunately striped to kingdom come. Was going to cut a groove in the head and go to town with a big screwdriver, but broke the last blade for my Dremel. There's not enough clearance (slight recess to the tray it sits in) to get in there with a hacksaw blade, so to the back burner with that until tomorrow.

The gas tank has been literally glassed in place. I'd initially thought that the layer of fiberglass on top of it in places was just where the decking that had been laid over it had delaminated, but that doesn't appear to have been the case. When I finally got to it the other night, it was too dark for me to see clearly, but there was actual fiberglass tabbing over much of it. I peeled a lot of it back but - as if that wasn't enough - it seems as though the stringers have a slight cap that extends over the tank by about a quarter inch; enough to more or less lock it into place.

20220219_115756_HDR.jpg

That was the point where I started thinking about the folks who don't worry about this sorta mess; the myriad of bad decisions and shoddy patch jobs that one finds in these older boats. How nice it must be to just break out the checkbook, then get out on the water straight away.

The pity party didn't last too long; a quick look around reminded me that there were a ton of other jobs that needed doing, that were doable, and would be just the ticket to get me out of the doldrums.

20220219_115743_HDR.jpg

20220219_113633.jpg

So I started ripping things apart. Not much better therapy than wanton destruction.

20220219_125806_HDR.jpg

20220219_125751_HDR.jpg

20220219_125727.jpg

Foam, carpet, seat boxes, mulch disguised as structural supports... I got a ton of it out. It looks an absolute horror, but it's progress. And sometimes you have to count those small victories.

20220219_130404_HDR.jpg

20220219_133106_HDR.jpg

20220219_131851.jpg

20220219_133051_HDR.jpg

20220219_133100_HDR.jpg

After that, took a trip to the hardware store and picked up some more Dremel blades, several blades for the angle grinder (cutting, grinding, and flap disks), and new blades for my oscillating tool. I picked up a pump to drain what I can from the fuel tank, and a few other odds and ends. Retail therapy also helps the mindset when one is otherwise frustrated.

Afterwards, I got back to it. Took out a lot more foam, ripped out more delaminated fiberglass tabbing from the bottom of the hull. Shoveled out more rotten wood. Removed what felt like 10,000 screws. Ripped out more upholstered panels. There's a lot of open space where there wasn't before... It's a welcome site.

20220219_175734.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to continue ripping things out. The jump seat boxes are going to be time-consuming; there's probably as much foam back there as the rest of the boat combined (which is saying a lot, there's been a LOT of foam everywhere else). But getting them out will allow me to pull up more of the decking, which will let me get to the back section of the stringers that the gas tank is sandwiched between, which puts me one step closer to getting that son of a gun out. Finally.

Last edited:

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

That is a lot of progress, and any progress is a step closer to the ultimate goal. Once you get demolition done and have clean slate in front of you it DOES feel good because reconstruction feels great!
You unfortunately had more rot than I had being the front seating area, but in the long run, it may make repairs in the console area easier.
To get my tank out, I removed the bulkheads at each end of the tank so I could walk it out of its home, gently prying on each end.
I didn't have the overhang that you mentioned but did have that fiberglass you encountered plus lots of foam.
I unfortunately don't have pictures at that stage.

I also wanted to let you know that I eventually had the same thoughts about how others ignore problems like this in old boats but still take loved ones out on the water with them.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I started the day wanting to accomplish two things: 1) get the gas tank out, and 2) safely liberate the control box from the upholstered panel that I took out the last time.

I didn't accomplish either, and for a while it kinda got me down. But, looking back on where I started vs where I ended up today, I did get a lot done.

I got all but one of the glued in screws out of the control box. Broke down and used the impact driver which I should have had the balls to do initially. The fourth screwhead, I unfortunately striped to kingdom come. Was going to cut a groove in the head and go to town with a big screwdriver, but broke the last blade for my Dremel. There's not enough clearance (slight recess to the tray it sits in) to get in there with a hacksaw blade, so to the back burner with that until tomorrow.

The gas tank has been literally glassed in place. I'd initially thought that the layer of fiberglass on top of it in places was just where the decking that had been laid over it had delaminated, but that doesn't appear to have been the case. When I finally got to it the other night, it was too dark for me to see clearly, but there was actual fiberglass tabbing over much of it. I peeled a lot of it back but - as if that wasn't enough - it seems as though the stringers have a slight cap that extends over the tank by about a quarter inch; enough to more or less lock it into place.

View attachment 356096

That was the point where I started thinking about the folks who don't worry about this sorta mess; the myriad of bad decisions and shoddy patch jobs that one finds in these older boats. How nice it must be to just break out the checkbook, then get out on the water straight away.

The pity party didn't last too long; a quick look around reminded me that there were a ton of other jobs that needed doing, that were doable, and would be just the ticket to get me out of the doldrums.

View attachment 356095

View attachment 356094

So I started ripping things apart. Not much better therapy than wanton destruction.

View attachment 356099

View attachment 356098

View attachment 356097

Foam, carpet, seat boxes, mulch disguised as structural supports... I got a ton of it out. It looks an absolute horror, but it's progress. And sometimes you have to count those small victories.

View attachment 356100

View attachment 356104

View attachment 356101

View attachment 356102

View attachment 356103

After that, took a trip to the hardware store and picked up some more Dremel blades, several blades for the angle grinder (cutting, grinding, and flap disks), and new blades for my oscillating tool. I picked up a pump to drain what I can from the fuel tank, and a few other odds and ends. Retail therapy also helps the mindset when one is otherwise frustrated.

Afterwards, I got back to it. Took out a lot more foam, ripped out more delaminated fiberglass tabbing from the bottom of the hull. Shoveled out more rotten wood. Removed what felt like 10,000 screws. Ripped out more upholstered panels. There's a lot of open space where there wasn't before... It's a welcome site.

View attachment 356105

Tomorrow I'm going to continue ripping things out. The jump seat boxes are going to be time-consuming; there's probably as much foam back there as the rest of the boat combined (which is saying a lot, there's been a LOT of foam everywhere else). But getting them out will allow me to pull up more of the decking, which will let me get to the back section of the stringers that the gas tank is sandwiched between, which puts me one step closer to getting that son of a gun out. Finally.

Very Nice Sop!
Getting dirty and frustrated is all part of the healing process. lol! I can always remember saying the next 6" won't be rotten...they were.
When that hull is clean and shiny then the fun begins.
Then a floor goes down. Thats a good feel.
Cheers!
Right now I'm pissin and moaning on running some wires and switches.
Always sumpin.
Doing good you are!

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got some time in today continuing the demo.

Spent another couple hours out there earlier in the day, then had to take an extended break due to a pretty wicked headache. Not sure if it was the sun, the restricted breathing from the PPE, or the fuel fumes.

Got back out a couple hours ago - the rear seat boxes are roughly 75% gone. Spent quite a bit of time sweeping as well, as we're expecting more rain over the next several days.

20220220_131333.jpg

It was overall a slow day at the office. But I'm getting there, and I'm not ready to throw in the towel on bringing this zombie back from the dead.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Looking at the picture, it's amazing how we have the same boat other than the drive, and your tank layout is completely different.
Don't burn yourself out. Don't be afraid to take a break!
There were times I had to walk away for a few days or a week because I started feeling overwhelmed by the scope of the whole project.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at the picture, it's amazing how we have the same boat other than the drive, and your tank layout is completely different.
Don't burn yourself out. Don't be afraid to take a break!
There were times I had to walk away for a few days or a week because I started feeling overwhelmed by the scope of the whole project.
The tank can sit quite a bit further back in mine because of the absence of an engine bay and outdrive. What passes for a bilge in mine is maybe 8 to 10 inches between the half bulkhead containing the tank and the transom.

I'm toying with the idea of making substantial changes both below and above deck, but that's going to depend on a few factors that have not yet weighed in.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

The tank can sit quite a bit further back in mine because of the absence of an engine bay and outdrive. What passes for a bilge in mine is maybe 8 to 10 inches between the half bulkhead containing the tank and the transom.

I'm toying with the idea of making substantial changes both below and above deck, but that's going to depend on a few factors that have not yet weighed in.
It was the layout of the connections that I had noticed. I just assumed that they would be the same to make production easier.
Another situation that one should never assume lol.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was the layout of the connections that I had noticed. I just assumed that they would be the same to make production easier.
Another situation that one should never assume lol.

Ah, you mean the sender, fill hose, vent hose, etc. I'm guessing that one's down to where the tank fill resides and where it vents? My tank fill is on the transom right beside where the outboard hangs; the vent is to the port side of that, right beneath where the hull marries with the cap.

There are a few things that make me wonder if it all came from the factory this way. The transom's definitely had some work done at some point, and the welds on the tank itself seem to have varying degrees of 'freshness' for lack of a better term.

I don't want to be one of those guys who talks a big game about how much they'll modify from the factory, but I am at least entertaining the thought of redesigning quite a few things... Not just cosmetically but functionally. Trying not to get too caught up in all of that, but my mind wanders to such things when I'm knee deep in cut up pieces of foam and my goggles are coated in fiberglass dust.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

The picture I posted isn't mine but just showing the difference.

The changes I made so far were eliminating the ski locker. I did that to remove water intrusion areas, although it greatly reduces any storage on a boat this size. I have been contemplating incorporating storage in the front seat boxes since I now have additional floatation foam where the ski locker once occupied but this will be a future addition should I go that route.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220221-170937_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220221-170937_Chrome.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 2

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rain, rain, strong storms, more rain.

The forecast had originally said Saturday would be clear, but now that's changed, too.

I think I'm headed back to the boat today during the first slight break to at least do something. I'm feeling stir crazy.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

I feel your pain! Being in upstate NY I don't get but 3 or so months of truly perfect "working on the boat " weather.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a window of about 30 minutes today, which was dedicated to picking out more bits of foam, and evicting a few squatters who appear to have made themselves at home.Ants.jpg

Pics don't do it justice - these guys were easily over a half inch long.

It's a right mess out there still, and water's pooled in the area between the portside stringer and the hull, where the foam's been removed.

It was nice getting back to it, even if but for a short while. We've got lots more rain in the forecast, but I'll keep trying to score pockets of time where I can at least chip a bit more away.

All this time spent waiting, just to wait around some more. It's enough to drive the best of us a bit nuts. And it's dangerous; I'm thinking crazy thoughts about fabricating things that I know full and well I should just buy.

All in good time. There'll be plenty of opportunities to figure those things out when I get there.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Hi,
Talking about gas tanks jogged a thought of an experience I had with my gas tank after installing the new stringers and bulkheads.
Being my first time doing this kind of work and having OCD at times I wanted everything perfect and super strong and because of this it presented issues when reinstalling the tank in regards to fitment.
I went overboard on my filets for the PB on the joints where the bulkheads met the stringers and my glass in the corners amplified the issue which didn't allow enough room for the tank to set in nicely (probably overkill).
I just wanted to mention this so you didn't potentially have this headache. If I ever took a project on like this again I would position the bow side bulkhead away a bit more to allow for the thickness difference compared to the (lack of) from the factory.

todhunter

Canoeist
Hi,
Talking about gas tanks jogged a thought of an experience I had with my gas tank after installing the new stringers and bulkheads.
Being my first time doing this kind of work and having OCD at times I wanted everything perfect and super strong and because of this it presented issues when reinstalling the tank in regards to fitment.
I went overboard on my filets for the PB on the joints where the bulkheads met the stringers and my glass in the corners amplified the issue which didn't allow enough room for the tank to set in nicely (probably overkill).
I just wanted to mention this so you didn't potentially have this headache. If I ever took a project on like this again I would position the bow side bulkhead away a bit more to allow for the thickness difference compared to the (lack of) from the factory.
This is a great suggestion - easy to go overboard with big fillets and not think about how they will mesh with the rest of the assembly process.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Solid advice, @88 Capri

I do plan on keeping my filets somewhat reasonable - substantial enough to get a good layup for tabbing everything in, but nothing overt, hopefully. Considering that the deadrise angle around the stern is quite shallow, there's not a ton of real estate below deck to begin with; if I'm to get things to fit back more or less the way they're intended to, my margins will be narrow.

Speaking of the fuel tank; I'm pre-emptively seeking out replacement units. It's slim pickin's out there - lots of used plastic tanks that are close to the size and dimensions I need, but not as many aluminum ones as I seem to remember there being when I last looked...

I did a bit of poking around during a very brief weather window yesterday - in between rain, freezing rain, and snow flurries - and there's some sort of plastic liner around the gas tank. There's not enough exposed yet to really tell how much is down there, but I believe it lines the entire fuel tank compartment.

I'm resigned to no longer planning around when the weather looks favorable enough for me to resume working on her. Was supposed to be clear and slightly warmer today, but it's in the 30's, with a drizzly rain and some frozen stuff falling from the sky again.

I did pick up a new set of wheels for the trailer and a bigger floor jack this morning. I think the old wheels and tires are salvageable - at least enough to serve as emergency spares. We'll see once they're off and I can get a better look at them.