The Waiting is the Hardest Part...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
220px-Sopwith_2.F.1_Ship%27s_Camel_drawing.jpg
Good Stuff!!
SopwithCamelLineArt.gif

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the wind ain't lying, last night should be the last frost we'll see until sometime around the end of the year.

Keep rocking those builds, getting those finished projects on the water, and posting plenty of pics, fellas. Does a body good to see the world still spinning, despite everything feeling like it's stuck.

Amen! Glad that the world is still spinning. And I got to work on my boat this weekend. The Admiral cut up some watermelon and I remarked that it smells like the lake. It's about that time.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lots of great progress on the home reno. Naturally, the more work that you do, the more that you find needs to be done with this sort of thing, but I'm encouraged by what I've been able to accomplish.

I won't put a timeline on it, but I'm a lot more optimistic about getting to the boat sooner rather than later. Will all depend on how the weather cooperates for the rest of June, and scheduling what is hopefully the final delivery of materials. I did go out and piddle around a bit today - modified the posts for my boat cover to make it work a bit better. T'was a little thing, but it made me feel good to be out there in it for a bit.

Fingers crossed that this streak of good fortune keeps up.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow.... Almost a year since checking in.

I was worried that this place would change so much that it would be unrecognizable. Last time I couldn't log in, couldn't find any threads, and the performance was horrible. Happy to say that it feels 'right' now - thanks to whoever it was that worked out all the kinks.

The past year has just been about surviving, and trying to adapt to this idea of a 'new normal'. The winter was spent planning out our projects for the coming year. So far we're deep in implementing said plans - gardening, yard work, and the ever-present home reno projects that are still very much in progress.

Me and the boat have had a few conversations lately. I told it I'd make no promises, as I don't want to have to break them. But, when I'm able to focus and give 100% on getting it up to snuff, this will be a more extensive renovation than I'd previously decided on.

Happy 2021, everyone. May the spring bring great things.

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just read your whole thread and now I have a Tom Petty song in my head, thanks! Good luck with everything and like KC said the boat will always be there. I am getting closer to thinking about a splash day but I wanted to tell you my boat project started a long time ago, about 8 years, with a wooden lapstrake boat that ended up in the burn pile and then decided to get a fiberglass boat because I could store it outside here in Fl. Well it will be 4 years ago this coming May that I bought this boat, I have made a lot of progress in the last 6 months and even made a lot of progress before that, mostly small spurts here and there. Sounds like you have so much going on but once you get a chance to get going on the boat it will really consume you but with your big home projects finished you will have the time you need to do it!

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I've had a conversation with the wife, and we're in agreement.

I've completed enough of the partial home renovation to appease her and the kids. I've upgraded our daily driver. The landscaping and other outside projects are well along enough so as not to be an impediment. Yes - there are still a projects on our to-do list, but we agree that if I keep waiting for the 'right time' that there will always be something else to push my start time back.

This is the year I get the boat restoration properly underway.

The boat's a mess. I'm going to have to take some time to stage an area for the initial phase of work, which might take a week or so. But, if the weather next weekend cooperates, then I intend to start gutting her and assessing what materials to buy first.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
The weather isn't going to cooperate much today.

Went out to begin doing something, even if it's just an assessment to get my mind wrapped around how this will go.

At some point, part of the cover collapsed. As the boat is sitting underneath a silver maple, the inside is even more trashed than it was before. Keep in mind - this thing was out on the water in 2018. It was never in peak condition, but it barely resembles that version of itself now.

The interior structure as a whole is collapsing in on itself. I'd already anticipated redoing the transom and stringers... But the other structural fiberglass seemed ok a few years ago.
20220212_121857_HDR.jpg

20220212_122209_HDR.jpg

The dash supports, like the seat box supports, go all the way down to the hull. Or at least, they used to - hence the sagging. Which means the hull itself will have to be pushed back out.
20220212_122538_HDR.jpg

It was already going to be complete gut before - that's not a surprise. But still, everything's degraded so much. Trying not to let it get me down, but not gonna lie, it's not easy.
20220212_121958_HDR.jpg

20220212_122058.jpg

20220212_122156_HDR.jpg

20220212_122424_HDR.jpg

Exterior has taken quite the hit as well. The gelcoat is mostly ok; will see how it cleans up. There are at least a few places that will need more than just a cleaning, though.
20220212_121925.jpg

20220212_122338.jpg

20220212_122635.jpg
20220212_122309.jpg

20220212_122044_HDR.jpg

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cracked open the cowling on the engine; not as grody as I'd expected, which is a plus. I'm still working on the area where part of the build will be staged; debating on whether I'll get it on a battery and try to fire it up prior to or after getting it off the boat.
20220212_122756.jpg

20220212_122741_HDR.jpg

20220212_122932.jpg

20220212_123001_HDR.jpg

Carbs were rebuilt at the time of purchase. Got maybe 3 trips out of that effort before the current stretch of inactivity. It ran perfectly at the time, but I expect to go back through them again, just to be sure.

20220212_122822.jpg

20220212_122808_HDR.jpg

No rat's nests, no hornet's nests. Minimal rust, no visible corrosion, but I'll still give it a thorough cleaning and inspection soon.

20220212_122747.jpg

20220212_122843.jpg

20220212_122850.jpg

Attachments

• 20220212_122841_HDR.jpg
    20220212_122841_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you have a jump box, I would use that instead of buying a battery which may be dried up before the fix-up is done. Fire-up the motor on the boat first when all the gauges and controls are still hooked up.

Make sure to use clean and fresh fuel. If the fuel tank is under the deck. use a portable tank.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you have a jump box, I would use that instead of buying a battery which may be dried up before the fix-up is done. Fire-up the motor on the boat first when all the gauges and controls are still hooked up.

Make sure to use clean and fresh fuel. If the fuel tank is under the deck. use a portable tank.
I have a jump box, but I also keep spare a spare automotive battery on a battery tender, in the event of emergencies and such.

I did a partial disassemble something like 2 years ago; the ignition switch was broken, there was a busted fish finder that had been shoddily installed in the dash, and I'd thoughts of trying to get the 'disco' speed gauge restored. No tach, oil temp monitor (it's the old buzzer-style on the engine itself). Last time I spun it up I jumped it from the starter.

I have a portable tank from when I'd run it previously. I've never run it off of the built-in tank; previous owner mentioned that he'd had fuel delivery issues, and I took him at his word. Part of my restoration will include pulling the tank, getting whatever's in it out, cleaning it thoroughly, check for major pitting, and doing a pressure test. I suspect all the tank hardware and fittings, including the fuel sender and all the fuel lines, will need to be replaced as well. If it's in rough shape, I've already sourced a replacement.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I raised the front of the trailer before noon; it continued to drain until it was too dark to see anymore. 20220212_122020_HDR.jpg

20220212_122921.jpg
I honestly can't wait to see what it looks like underneath the floor. And by 'can't wait', I actually mean 'am prepared for a nightmare'.

The trailer is going to need a lot of work, too. The aluminum has held up pretty well, but it needs some cosmetic work. I'm thinking it'll likely be new parts from front to rear - coupler, jack, bow roller, bunks, hub assembly, tires, lights, and wiring. Time will tell if any of those things are salvageable20220212_121911.jpg

20220212_121907.jpg

20220212_121938.jpg

20220212_122023.jpg

A few odd pics from what felt like a hundred plus. Other items of note: The swim ladder will need a thorough rehab, possibly replacement. I've got a ton of parts in storage - ski locker & frame, glove box, most of the components for rewiring, electronics, etc. Don't even remember some of it; will be nice digging it out and doing an inventory to see what else I need. But that's going to be a fair way down the road; lots of structural concerns to address first.
20220212_122013_HDR.jpg

20220212_122506_HDR.jpg

20220212_122522.jpg

20220212_122527.jpg

20220212_122912.jpg

20220212_122900.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well aint dat Purdy! I'd remove the motor with the gauge panel and set in a good dry location. Test it as your time allows. No small task either.
If you have access to a backhoe life will be easy in that dept.
Good to see you taking her on. Looking forward to the project.
You certainly can do it!
KC

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today was the first day since Saturday that I could get back out to the boat. Didn't have a lot of time after work before darkness fell, and the only tools that I took with me were a broom, a dustpan, a claw hammer, a sledge hammer, and a 30 gallon trash bin.

20220215_173333.jpg

20220215_173535.jpg
No eye protection, and I was wearing shorts (we got into the 50's today!) and slides. So I couldn't really go crazy... But progress is progress.

20220215_173414.jpg

I filled up the garbage can twice before I could kinda see the floor again... And I use the term 'floor' very, very loosely (pun intended).

20220215_173443.jpg

I knew that whoever did the previous restore did a ****-poor job, but I didn't know that it was *this* bad. Half-assed fiberglass work abounds; same with the upholstery. Lots of rot over the gas tank and bilge area, but not exclusive to that area.

20220215_173453.jpg

20220215_173528.jpg

I'd envisioned that maybe the jump seat boxes and the bow seat boxes might be salvageable; I was wrong.

The level of degradation is severe enough that I don't think it's practical to use any of this junk for templates. Luckily, I've been able to get a lot of measurements over the years, and I have a pretty clear idea of how to build her back - definitely better than before, maybe better than ever.

20220215_173431.jpg

20220215_173347.jpg

I guess if I managed over three and a half years before I started working on it at all that I can be patient enough to chip away a little at a time as time permits.

20220215_173355.jpg

20220215_173401.jpg

Next time I go to see her, I'll be bringing a few power tools, the pressure washer, my shop vac, proper eye protection and footwear, and work gloves... Then the real work will (hopefully) begin.

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
What I learned with my project and I think a lot of people on here will agree, the more rot the better. It is easier to tear it out. Good luck and yes take care of your eyes, stuff will be flying once you get power tools involved.

Buck

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
What I learned with my project and I think a lot of people on here will agree, the more rot the better. It is easier to tear it out. Good luck and yes take care of your eyes, stuff will be flying once you get power tools involved.

Buck

Thanks!

Can't disagree; what I was able to strip out tonight was pretty light work for the most part. A few oddball things - the jump seat backs appear to have been mounted with marine adhesive. And someone at some point tried to compensate for bad fiberglass work with a row of finishing nails. They'd of course rusted mostly away, but there was a two foot strip that fought me tooth and nail all the way.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our boats appear to be the same other than the immediate stern/drive setups, so please don't hesitate to reach out if you need to.
I really appreciate it. I've kept up with your build; will definitely reach out if the need arises.

I've done an absurd amount of research, and have a fairly detailed journal with measurements and specifications, along with lots of notes in the margin. But I'm a believer in there rarely being such a thing as too much data... I'll be leaning on the lot of you to help me if I encounter any sticking points. And I'm sure that I will.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was mucking about on a break from work and caught a strong gasoline smell in the wind. The wife had called it to my attention a few days ago, as it seemed to be coming from the direction of the boat. I checked it out at the time, couldn't find anything conclusive, so I (wrongly) dismissed it... I figured that surely I would have noticed something while poking around last Saturday.

Well, last night's start to a proper demo clearly stirred something up - I've got fuel trickling out of the drain hole today.

I have a container underneath it now, but that's a Band-Aid on the proverbial bullet wound. So it looks like I'll be ripping out the deck a bit ahead of schedule... And that I'll have to be wary of what tools I employ while doing so.

It's likely safe to assume that the aluminum tank is a goner.