the vice-prez debates

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: the vice-prez debates

I think they both did quite well, and probably better than their bosses...Cheney for sure. I was bored, yet entertained. Neither make me terribly comfortable as the next in line though. Cheney would probably have a heart attack with the news, and Edwards seems too young.<br /><br />What's with Mary Matalin's makeup? Se looks like a Romulan from StarTrek. :D

ob

Admiral

Edwards is clearly uninformed on international issues and sidestepped several questions posed, with pathetic attempts to undermine the current administration on an unrelated topic.Cheney calmly wupped up on him like a spoiled stepchild.That was my take on it.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I watch'm but don't always respond to political based posts.....but....maybe it's just me....but Edwards seemed smooth....to smooth. Like he knew the answer before the question. Maybe it's just his Lawyer tilt that makes him that way? Cheney seemed to need a second or two to get his answer together. I need a longneck. Been talkin' politics to much.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Edwards was slick...... trial lawyer slick.<br /><br />Cheney came across to me as a straight shooter.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I watced a few minutes... Noticed that Cheney seemed to avoid eye contact with the camera... As he spoke, Cheney was looking off to the side and down at the desk... I'd trust him as far as I could throw him...<br /><br />Edwards.. Full of it as usual.. Guy's just tooo animated to suit me..

PW2

Commander

I was a bit surprised that Cheney knew of the website "factcheck.org" (although he called it factcheck.com)<br /><br />He even used it as an authoritatve site, which is a bit surprising considering their own campaign of misinformation and misrepresentations are in full view of everyone who takes the time to visit the site.<br /><br />Apparently he has no problem with misleading the public if it suits his ends.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Dang record timer!! I went to review it this mornin, only to see Condelizza Rice in that silly 9/11 hearing!! Grrr...<br />So Cheney gave the youngun a courtroom whuppin huh?<br />Glad to hear it. I hates trial lawyers!<br />A side-note: Condi for VP in '08!!!
emthup.gif

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Good debate IMO. Cheny replied with facts and known evidence in response to questions. Edwards tended to reply playing om emotion IMO. <br /><br />I am so fed up with the Dem line "big business", as if big business is some sort of evil ambiguous entity determined to destroy average Joe American. Big business is made up of tens of thousands of average Joe Americans earning a wage there.<br /><br />Cheney did indeed express his statesmanship far above Edwards in this debate!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I missed the debate. Did anyone keep a Haliburton count? Figure Edwards would have used it at least 6 times.<br /><br />Cheney's too experienced and too smart for Edwards. Courtroom tricks don't work on those who know what they are and how to shine the light back on the attacker.

tylerin

Commander

Cheney's too experienced and too smart for Edwards
I think that sums up the debate. If those two sat down at a cocktail party they wouldn't know what to say to one another.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Chenney makes up for Bushs lack luster debate and I believe he scored more points then the ambulance chaser!!!!<br /><br />Bush in his next debate should wear ear phone so Chenney could dictate to him before Bush makes comment!!<br /><br />who do we vote for, BUSH; KERRY or Ralph!!!! ;) :cool:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

IMO Chenny won hands down with content/facts<br />over sound bites/catch phrases.<br />what was absolutely amazing to me is all the talking<br />heads after saying how well Edwards did???

LadyFish

Admiral

Cheney held his own IMHO. He was direct and factual. Even if one of his zingers about Edwards and he never meeting before was later corrected by Mrs. Edwards. I'm not sure why the Dems haven't picked up on this, but I personally felt that when Cheney said that he didn't aspire to be the President and this is what makes his working relationship with Bush so perfect, he also stated that as VP you have to be able to step into the position of President at given time without notice. That statement could make him appear not ready or unwilling.<br /><br />Edwards to me, had the presence of a typical lawyer and came across like a used car salesman. As far as Edwards handling his candidates position on the war on terrorism, he said almost verbatim what Bush said in the first Presidential debate. I felt that with the exception of the "3 times your out" plan for lawyers to pre-qualify malpractice lawsuits were weak.<br /><br />I also thought Edwards hand gestures were a bit distracting, not to mention he has very feminine hands. I might even go as far as saying "girlie". :)

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I also thought Edwards hands gestures were a bit distracting, not to mention he has very feminine hands.
Lets not go there :D Couldn't stop blinking his eyes as well. To Cheney's defense the point I think he was getting across L/F was he wasn't chosen to gain support in his home state, like some others, and he didn't need to kiss anybody's you know what. He seemed more than ready during 911 when our President was flying at 30,000 ft

oddjob

Commander

Noticed that Cheney seemed to avoid eye contact with the camera...
I noticed it too. But I also observed that he was looking at the person he was responding too, the interviewer. <br /> I also noticed that when ever eddy talked.....his eyes went into a blinking fit :rolleyes: ( and he didnt look at the camera either during all that blinking). And I dont mean a little bit. Anyone else notice?<br /><br />I thought Cheney did alright and eddy was just predictible. He basically acused bush and Cheney of lying and misleading the American people into a war and blamed bush for everything but the great depression. That BS might work on 12 selected jururs at an OJ trial and the scumbags would love to do the same with the newly registered undecided voters.<br /><br /><br />EDIT____TY beat me to it! well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. :)

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I think that Cheney was factual and calm. He was (for him) very personable, and I don't think that comes easy for him. Edwards came across like an infomercial host on late night TV, too animated and anxious to sell his product. Cheney stated the facts, and when there was nothing more to add, he didn't try to vamp just to fill his air time. Cheney scored big hits on Edwards (and Kerry) with their attendance records and how many votes they had missed, along with committee meetings that Edwards had missed.<br /><br />Unfortunately, the oily used car salesman presence that Edwards displayed will be viewed as confident and in control by the dems, and they will be thrilled by him.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Let's see, the Republicans are sure Cheney won, and the Democrats are sure Edwards did the best job. Sounds like a draw.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Geelboom, me thinks your avatar is just a little to big. :D :D :D

aspeck

Staff member

Hearing the talking heads this morning and seeing some of the "unscientific polls" that showed the debate a dead heat or that Edwards won, I have to wonder if my Cable company did not do some fancy editing and send me a time delayed, edited version. The one I saw showed a spoiled brat against a true statesman. One that can throw spin vs one that has experience and knowledge. One that won't follow the rules or answer the questions of the moderator vs one who is straight forward and calls it as he sees it.<br /><br />Like I said, I must have been watching something other than a large portion of the rest of the country.