Thank GOD they are leaving today!

LubeDude

Admiral
We hadnt seen our niece, (wifes side), for a long time, has a 1 1/2 year old girl, (monster) the wifes sister, mother, and the niece and child came to our house Tuesday evening and are leaving today, Just the fact that I am posting from work this time of the morning ought to tell you all something. :eek: My wife, anticipating the little girl, put everything away she didnt want broken, only thing we didnt put away was the furniture and the drapes. The little girl sill managed to do about $400.00 worth of damage while she was here. tore the drapes in the living room off the wall, broke an eathan allen table, Broke a picher from out wedding, spilled everything they gave her on the new light colored carpet we just had put in, any food you gave her went everywhere, broke numerous toys, including one of the remotes for our intertainment system. being repaid for anything is out of the question. I have "NEVER" Seen a kid so out of control in my life, this kid was everywhere, on everything, into everything, 24-7. The mother couldnt have kept up with her if she would have even tried, Which she didnt. :rolleyes: Wifes sister, (Little girls grandmother), tried to keep here at bay a little but she would just scream and struggle and cry. <br /><br />My wife woke up in tears this morning, We live pretty modestly, and the things we do have we take care of and are important to us, wife loved that little table. (Broke the Marble top), I feel so bad for her. Kid woke us all up at 5 this morning, so I just got up and left.<br /><br />Rant, Rant, Rant!!! :mad:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Thank GOD they are leaving today!

Man I hate that. But what you gona do?<br />Can't hurt feelings too bad, then it comes back to you, it's a no win situation for sure. :rolleyes:

eeboater

Commander

Damn LD. That just plain sucks. While I'm only 25 and have only been around the block a time or two, I KNOW my kids will NOT be little ****tin brats like that. I think its irresponsible and downright RUDE for parents to let their kids rule to coop. <br /><br />I only have a dog and two cats. But I will tell you one thing, even they don't think about getting out of line with me. <br /><br />Not on their life!<br /><br />Sean

KennyKenCan

Commander

This child doesn't need a beating...<br /><br />THE PARENTS DO !!<br /><br />I would tally everything that was broken, and send them a bill! Also tell them that they are not welcome until you are repaid, or at least just a simple appology!

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Time to be the bad guy. You wouldn't tolerate that beahvior from an adult. If you had a pet that was that destructive, you'd get rid of it. Calmly explain to the child's mother that the childs behavior is not allowed in your home. If or when they come to visit again, the child will be disciplined. If not by the mother by you.<br /><br />Make it clear it is the behavior and not the child that is not welcome in your home. Then, say it, mean it, do it.<br /><br />Do not let it slide. Someone has to tell this mother the way it is for the child's sake. if this behavior isn't corrected soon, the child will pay the price for the rest of her life.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Like my grandmother used to say. "Fish and company start to stink after two days".

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I would assume that they won't be invited back LubeDude. Don't let yourselves be victims to a mother who doesn't have the sense to get help for both herself and her daughter.<br /><br />If the the mom can't handle the girl at 1.5 y/o then there is real trouble brewing as the child grows older. IMHO, it is your wifes duty to make this clear to her sister and if the situation is not gotten in hand your wife has every right not to allow them in your home. She has a larger duty to you and your household than she does to her sister.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There is no excuse.<br />If I can keep two little boys at bay in my mothers house with her nice stuff, then two women can control one toddler. They obviously don't respect you, so boot 'em out.<br /><br /> Our family made a rule, long ago (similar story).<br />Our house, our rules, don't follow them - you leave.<br /><br />I seen my pacifist father tell his brother, spouse, and 2 kids to leave our house a few days early. They learned their lesson and on subsequent visits were well behaved.<br /><br />Go ahead, hurt their feelings the first time, or they will visit again and hurt your feelings a second time.<br /><br />I know, I'm an insensitive hard azz.<br /><br />Just to prove you wrong - Go home early and do something to make your wife feel better. You abandoned her there today.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LubeDude, I won't try to tell you what to do, I'll just tell you what I have done in the past and still would do today. <br /><br />I have made it clear to my family when they visited in the past that we didn't put things up for our kids and they didn't get broke so we will not allow their kids to run around like heathens and break things either. They would behave or them and their parents could leave and not return until they had them under control. I have done this exact thing and while there was some hard feelings at the moment they finally came around and understood how it was in my house.<br /><br />Hope it all works out at your house.<br /><br />That was a good idea that roscoe posted about doing something special for your wife.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing a few kicks in the mouth won't cure!!<br /><br />I'd have the little ba$tard strung up by her heals!! .. along with mommy! .. she'd get a crack in the back of the head actually!!<br /><br />Uncle TJ (me) doesn't put up with that crap!! .. <br /><br />AZZ Chewin' W/O a doubt to all involved!!<br /><br />sorry to hear about it LD .. but, get your nuts out of your pocket! (I say that respectfully ).. If it was me and my home I'd close the shop and make a point of it real quick!!

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, There is no doubt that fur is flying at the house right now, Wife basically said she was going to have it out with them before they left. Actually she lives way up in northern washington. We never see the niece much anymore, and she has no reason to come here again and only came this time to pick up some things her grandfauther wanted to give to here. He is moving to Florida. Wife made it clear that if we see them again, it will either be at the sisters house and we will not be spending the night.<br /><br />We never put things away normally, but my wife had a feeling things would be this way. Our grand kids and kids of our own know the rule as stated by others above.<br /><br />Its the blood line, like mother like daughter, The wifes sister, the mother of the little girls mother has four kids all by different fathers, three married, one who knows, the mother of the little girl was spoiled rotten, and has absolutly no Idea how to be a mother and it is very easy to see that this kid has never been told no and probably never even had its hand slapped.<br /><br />I will do something nice for the wife tonight. I didnt abandon her, She told me to leave early this morning as she knew I would have made things miserable if I didnt.<br /><br />Everyone new I had had it last night when I told the little girl that I would trade here for a puppy, and that a puppy would be a lot less trouble. I got some strange looks.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Feel for you LD -- no fun having kids around that are out of control -- I'm with KKC -- parents need(ed) a good spanking. SNB gotta disagree -- My home, my rules -- I'm not apposed to laying down the law and if it hurts feelings; explain the facts.<br /><br /> I had similar experience with Brother, His daughter and her son. Just took control and put the kid in a corner and told him "in my house I make the rules" bad behavior and I determined the discipline! Brother did back me up -- had a screaming kid for a couple of hours until reality set in and he decided he was stuck there until he settled down. He's 4 yrs older now and still comes to visit -- no problems at my house -- still a terror in his home.<br /><br />One of the big problems of the new generation is lack of parenting skills -- it takes work and effort to control kids until they understand they are expected to keep themselves under control.<br /><br />I can tell you my kids to this day understand the rule and when grandkids get out of hand; I take care of it. Did make for some wild times with the first ones -- now no problems. We have the 6 yrs and up here every summer for 4 weeks (4 last summer 6 this yr).<br /><br />As you can tell this is a HOT button - rant ended

sangerwaker

Commander

Nice reply roscoe. Really like your idea to do something special for the wife.<br /><br />LD-I completely agree with most above. You gotta put your foot down. You also should lay down the guidelines BEFORE stuff happens. It's tougher with family, no doubt. Just make sure they know it's your house and guests must follow your rules or they will not be welcome.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> This child doesn't need a beating...<br /><br />THE PARENTS DO !!<br /><br />I would tally everything that was broken, and send them a bill! Also tell them that they are not welcome until you are repaid, or at least just a simple appology!
I totally agree with you KKC except I wouldn't care about an apology. Give me the money and get lost!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Guess I wont bring my 2 1/2 year old for a visit. :D <br /><br />She is a disaster, and leaves a disaster everywhere. Poor kid gets more whippings than any other kid. Hardheaded like you wouldnt believe, no surprise considering M&D are hardheaded also.<br /><br />Last night, woke up at 2 am, cried for an hour for no freakin reason. Wife and I are both sick with colds; boy what joy it is to be a parent!<br /><br />But I would NEVER EVER let her run wild at someone elses house. Thusly, we dont stay anywhere but home.<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

The words KID FREE have such a wonderful sound.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Sorry to hear that about the 1 1/2 thrashing the house!!!!<br /><br />No parental guidence!!!!<br /><br />We have grand children that are 1-1/2 and a 4 years old. We babysit every Monday unless it is a holiday!!!<br />They behave very well,don't take me wrong, they are not "Angels" at times, but they do not create the havoc that you have stated!!!! all little kids are mischievous at one point or another.<br /><br />At Thanksgivlng when we have about 25 people, I tape the pianno shut so the little rug rats don't pounce on it and that's including my two little Angels!!!!<br /><br />They don't stay small for ever!!! There at an age to enjoy them!!!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />While we are discussing little ones,It is disgusting seeing a 2-4 year old still with a "BINKI" in there mouth!!!!

Fly Rod

Commander

Originally posted by f_inscreenname:<br /> Like my grandmother used to say. "Fish and company start to stink after two days".
Excellent saying from your grandmother!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

My nephew tried that at Dad's house. His bad luck was that Dad liked to train puppies. Within 5 minutes he watched my dad like a hawk, intent on what he wanted next!! Big smirks all around (the mother was getting some coffee in the kitchen and didn't see what dad did...and I wont tell. Grew up to be a nice guy (24 now).<br />Soft healers make stinking wounds.