Temperature Gauge Not Functioning Mercruiser Alpha One, Help.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
I recently removed the engine to rebuild my transom. Today I finally took it out and noticed the temperature gauge isn't registering at all. Could I have screwed up a wire? The wire on the sensor on the block is intact. What steps do I need to take to test it. I am getting voltage at the gauge itself.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
What color wire is on the sensor?
Should be Tan with no stripe

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
I grounded the temp sensor wire to the block, turned the key on and no movement. I also ran a wire to the temp sensor and grounded it, no difference.

matt167

Rear Admiral
Well from 1985 you can’t rule out a gauge that took a crap. What I would do is get it up to temp and check the sensor for function

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
Well from 1985 you can’t rule out a gauge that took a crap. What I would do is get it up to temp and check the sensor for function

It actually worked flawlessly till I put the engine back in the other day. So when I went out today finally, it wasn't functioning.

alldodge

Staff member
It might be the engine 10 pin connector.

First see if there is 12V on the gauge. Next ground the sensor terminal on the gauge to see if it pegs

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer

First see if there is 12V on the gauge. Next ground the sensor terminal on the gauge to see if it pegs

Thanks, that's what I was pondering also, especially because I needed to plug it back in after I installed the engine, good call. I'll check it today.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer

Thru further inspection, I noticed that 3 pins came off the male end of the 10 pin harness connector and went into the female end on the 10 pin connector, apparent they were loose.

Can I just put them back into the male end, and if so what can I use to keep them in place so it doesn't happen again.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I got a reading of voltage from the gauge itself, but im not 100% sure if it was 12v , but it could have been possibly.

So do I take a jumper wire off a hot lead on the gauge and ground it, to see if it pegs?

Last edited:

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
A few pins that came off of the male part of the harness and are now stuck in the female end, can they be removed and then be put back into place on the male end, if so do I just push them back in? And would I need an adhesive or solder them in back into the male end? Please advise, Thanks đź‘Ť

alldodge

Staff member
12V power is there but the Tan wire going back to sender is missing.

So far as the pins you have a few options
Carefully pull pin out and try to get it started in location, then carefully push back together

Remove pins totally from both connectors, solder together and reinstall rest of the connector

Get a new male pigtail and splice all wires from old to new. Link below is Hardin marine but think if you look around you can find cheaper or even used out of another boat
https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-132...-pigtail-mercury-plug-instrument-side-12.aspx

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
That could be a problem. I would seriously consider a new harness / replacing the plug with one from a donor harness.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Agreed, the connector is bad. If you can find a replacement connector, you could use some waterproof butt connectors to graft it to the old wires.

something like thise

matt167

Rear Admiral
A new complete bulk harness is $200. ( not engine harness or gauge harness ). That’s what I would do. It just plugs in on both ends

matt167

Rear Admiral
I’m at work I’ll find it later tonight. I literally replied out the door this am