Tell us about your PIZZA!

oddjob

Commander
Re: Tell us about your PIZZA!

I like mom and pop pizza ( w/ tomatoe sauce) or store bought frozen publics brand. There is a place called forno's that serves gormet pizza that is chalk full of veggies. I like that but hate all the chains including poppa johns. Pizza has steadily gotten worse in America. Like theres a shortage of tomatoes or someting. BTW ham and onion goes great with daft beer..ummmmmmmmmmmm!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by L.I. Chuck:<br /> ...<br />I've been to Chicago and still can't figure out why Chicago is dubbed the pizza capital of the world. We have every conceivable variety of pizza available to us. <br /><br />
1- Giordano's on Rush St.<br />2- Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder on N. Clark St.<br />3- Gino's *THE ORIGINAL* on Rush St.<br /><br />nuff 'bout that.. ;) <br /><br />If I'm in New York.. no messin' around!<br />To Puglia's in "Little Italy" on Hester St to see and listen to Jorge and drink the house wine out of carafes :D <br /><br />Yours truely at Puglia's with Jorge.. must be 15yrs ago.<br />
5v95jt
don't blame the wine!! :p :D <br /><br />Around here locally its a bust for great pizza except for a small tavern in Deerfield called "The Pickle Tree".. everything fresh and home-made thin crust. <br /><br />Load it up and make it interesting but, keep the seafood off it! Seafood on a pie scares the bejezus outa me.. thats just me.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Come to Long Island where the pizza is GREAT and the boating is better!<br /><br />Geeez, I should work for the tourist bureau.<br /><br />Rubberfrog,<br />As Charlie said on "Two and a half men" "I don't know who thought of putting pineapple on pizza first, but I'm sure he was gay. He was also right."

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Canadian bacon, pineapple and tomatoes

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was on a pepperoni kick for a whole and now kinda diggin' what is being referd to as garbage pizza here. I prefer thin crust and Good 'ole Shakeys is my current favorite. I swear their crust tastes like beer . . . :D <br /><br />Also, just left Italy on business trip and you can get pineapple on it even there. Have to admit I like that too.

SoulWinner

Commander

Pizzarias Uno's......I haven't heard of that one. I have tried the Taco Pizza that Pizza hut used to serve, but I didn't like it at all. I would like to make a Mexican style pizza at home, whatall goes on one? Is it like the ones at Taco Bell?<br /><br />I was hopeing some New Yorker and Chicagoans would chime in here. I would also like know what kind of pizza they have in the UK.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

SoulWinner<br /><br />Driving that toy yoda has clouded your sense of geography! I am from NY originally and LI Chuck is right smack in the middle of great pizza! Long Island is in New York you know!<br /><br />Craze1cars grew up in Illinois and that's where Chicago is!<br /><br />Duh!! :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

I got Pizza in the UK from an Indian joint once. Really weird. Curry and stuff. Blecchhhh . . . We ate it, but haven't bought any more when there.

SoulWinner

Commander

Bob, what I meant to say was "Thanks to the New Yorkers and Chicagoans for responding, as I was hoping you would." I'm not always at expressing what I want to say.<br />Quietcat, over there in LA, the pizza like they show it on the Food Network? With toppings like asparagus and sea weed?

Realgun

Commander

I like mine with Peperoni and italian susage and green chile. The medium green chile is usually seved. <br /><br />Chile here is usually green don't know the type but they are rated <br />1. mild- for outa towners or me :D <br />2. Medium for locals and the adventurous that have to have green chile.<br />3. Hot- as hot or hotter that jalapeno For the kids who grew up on it!<br /><br />There is also red thats sometimes added to the sauce. <br /><br />The difference is the red is the green that got ripened on the vine.<br /><br />The smell of roating green chile is just Heaven.<br />Just don't peel'em and touch your eye. :(

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay, Your forgiven, I'm corrected!<br /><br />B :) b

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by L.I. Chuck:<br /> Come to Long Island where the pizza is GREAT and the boating is better!<br /><br />Geeez, I should work for the tourist bureau.<br /><br />
Been to L.I. but don't recall eating pie out there.. heck where Puglia's is located isn't but a stones throw form LI I don't think (5-10 blocks?). <br /><br />Boating is next!.. want to get in some of the fishing you guys have out there!! and in the process give the pie a try! :) <br /><br />oh one thing to note about the Chicago's "Gino's"<br /> Gino's East uses the term "the original".. which is hog wash they were established in the late 60'.<br /><br />Gino's on Rush St. was established in the early 50's ;) <br /><br />there's a BIG difference in the two places.. I prefer the latter.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

don't know how the double post happened but I wanted to add chunks of tomato to the list too :rolleyes: <br /><br />great topic SW!! ;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by L.I. Chuck:<br /> As Charlie said on "Two and a half men" "I don't know who thought of putting pineapple on pizza first, but I'm sure he was gay. He was also right."
:D <br />I assure you I am NOT gay, but I LOVE pineapple and jalapeno on my pizza.

mattttt25

Commander

a slice bought on the boardwalk at the jersey shore. nothing beats it.

PW2

Commander

I always thought Brooklyn was the home of the best Pizza.<br /><br />In Seattle, the absolute best Pizza comes from the Northlake Tavern in the U District. A medium "Logger Special" will feed four hungry adults.<br /><br />If you prefer a thin crust, then you go to the Italian Spaghetti house in Lake City. It is hard to get by their full course Italian dinners, however, like Canelloni. Fabulous, and relatively inexpensive. You can't get reservations, however, and it is not unusual to have a 1/2 to 3/4 hour wait for a table.<br /><br />No chain pizza store makes any sort of memorable pizza, IMO

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Many long years ago when I was a very young sailor I was going to A School at Great Lakes, IL. I spent a lot of time in Chicago and Milwaukee. My girlfriend in Milwaukee and I used to go to a small pizza joint there called Joe and Dominick's. Man, they made the best pizza I have EVER eaten. The kitchen was in the front of the place.. you could stand on the sidewalk and watch them prepare the pizza. Wish I had one right now!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> Quietcat, over there in LA, the pizza like they show it on the Food Network? With toppings like asparagus and sea weed?
Nah, reglar stuff mang. Yes, you can get some wierd ones, but not at my house. I've got kids . . .

Pun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pizzeria Uno, Lou Malnati's, Gino's or Due's in Chicago. Sausage pizza, of course. The common denominator is thick pizza, but not doughy, a little corn meal in the crust, loads of cheese and home made sausage and a light chunky tomato sauce. Mmmmm, goood! I can eat it cold for breakfast.<br /><br />The other kind of pizza I love is the traditional style southern italian pizza. very thin crust, fresh tomatos or light marinara, fresh bufalo mozzarella and fresh basil. Put that in a wood fired brick oven that's about 700 degrees. mmmm delicious. That's called a pizza margherita, btw. Named after late 19th century Queen Margherita of Italy. Some pizza chef in Naples made it for her and it became one of her favorites and a Neopolitan tradition.<br /><br />I'm not against a nice slice of NYC pizza either. Really good stuff. When you eat it, you gotta do like the New Yorkers do and fold that puppy up!<br /><br />Mmm, now I'm hungry...

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I started eating this pizza at work. The Holo-Krome speical sausage,pepperoni and fresh jalapeno's. The place that makes them if you are ever in the Hartford Ct area is New Park Pizza in West Hartford Ct. His pizzas will blow you away brick oven every thing fresh as could be, homemade sauce THE BEST PIZZA I EVER HAD...