Tell us about your PIZZA!

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Tell us about your PIZZA!

Wow, I didn't expect this much response when I originally posted. You guys with the little local pizzerias that make the killer pies, well you are very fortunate. Just recently, within the past three months a real Italian family opened here in Milton. Their pizza is amazing. A good family friend said that their pizza is identical to the pizza she had when she live New York. And danged inf'n it ain't the best danged pizza I ever had. You guys with the good pizza are lucky. Not long ago I thought Pizza Hut was about the best thing going. Well, thank the Lord for Giuseppe's Real Italian Restaurant. Their Pizza rocks!

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

I have two which come from my local Il Forno's.<br /><br />The first they call a Napolitana. It is a crispy thin crust pizza with tomato, double black olives, double anchovies and buffalo mozzarella.<br /><br />The second happened by chance as I observed the owner, an elderly Italian munching on something that looked good. When the waiter came I said "I'll have what he's having" to which they said "well you can't as it's something he makes for himself and is not a menu item".<br /><br />I went across the the man and asked him myself. He was delighted to oblige and the "Pappa Pizza" was borne. All the staff call the guy Pappa.<br /><br />Right what is it. It is two foccacia breads (crispy pizza bases with only salt and fresh herbs). He then takes thin steaks which are fried with chili and inserts these between the foccacia like a steak sandwitch and adds his owns mild chili sauce. MIND BLOWING.<br /><br />I suppose it does not technically qualify as a pizza but if Pappa said it is ...... THEN IT IS :D :D .

one more cast

Captain

I gave up trying to make that "perfect crust". I just buy it now. We have a few local pizza joints that can put pizza hut to shame. I order mine with medium crust topped with sauce,cheese,pepperoni,mushrooms,peppers,and black olives. oh yea, sam's club has pretty good in house pizza also.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Went to a sandbar party on the chain of lakes in Northern Illinois and they had a PIZZA DELIVERY BOAT. One boat buys a pizza and the delivery boat loads up with another 20 or so pizza's and sells them to everyone else. What a scam. The worst 23 dollar pizza I ever loved. 200+ boats and a band playing on top of a houseboat. <br /><br />If I want to enjoy a pizza I have to get it in Wisconsin where they use cheese with flavor. I lived in California for a couple of years and I couldn't find a pizza worth more than a buck or two. The cheese just didn't have a real flavor or a real texture. But I have to say I would split a pie with Soulwinner anytime. That is exactly what I put on my pizza with the addition of mushrooms. Fresh mushrooms not the pickled. MMMMMMM. It's soooooooooo goooooooooood.<br /><br />You can buy the frozen bread dough at the supermarket and use it as a pizza crust if you want to make a from scratch pizza and not want to mess around with making a crust. ;)

SoulWinner

Commander

Amen Doug, I'd love have a pizza with you.<br /><br />OMC, I have wondered about the Sam's pizzas. They look good, but I know looks can be deceiving. I guess I'll try them out. I have a feeling that the ones you get up there are probably better than the ones down here, but I'll check 'em out anyhow.

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> 1- Giordano's on Rush St.<br />2- Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder on N. Clark St.<br />3- Gino's *THE ORIGINAL* on Rush St.<br /><br />nuff 'bout that.. ;)
You are so right, all these places are GOOOOOOOD! But #2 at 2121 N. Clark Street is the absolute best! Haven't been there in several years, but my mouth waters every time I think of that Antipasto salad, a piece of bread, and a 2 pound pizza (yes, you order by the pound) which was actually 3 pounds. Came out in a dish with crust over the top and the wait person turned the dish upside down and scooped out all the cheese, sauce, peppers, onions, sausage, pepperoni, etc. into the crust. Had to eat it with a knife and fork. <br /><br />Man, I want to go back to Chicago, just for Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders!<br /><br />And the building they are located in was used by Capone as a lookout for the St Valentine's Day Massacre.

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SoulWinner, for a Mexican pizza, its set up like a normal pizza, thin crust, sauce, cheese. Then it gets interesting. Take some ground beef, season it up for tacos, abd drain the grease off. Put some on the pie, then some diced tomatos, green peppers, and fresh sliced jalepenos. Cook, and enjoy with some Cave Creek Chile Beer (beer with a jalepeno in it). A Pheonix original.<br /><br />I also saw the comment about Papa's Pizza in Roselle... Plum Grove and Nerge... really good stuff there. <br />Has anyone in the Chi-town area tried Jake's pizza? A different take on an old tradition with BBQ sauce and thin crust... I'm calling the airlines now for a ticket to Chicago. Can someone pick me up at the airport?

one more cast

Captain

by SoulWinner
OMC, I have wondered about the Sam's pizzas. They look good, but I know looks can be deceiving. I guess I'll try them out. I have a feeling that the ones you get up there are probably better than the ones down here, but I'll check 'em out anyhow.
The ones you take home and cook have pre made crust and aren't as good as the ones they cook in the store (made from dough)

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I like pizza from a local place named B.C. Pizza. They have franchises in Michigan, Kentucky, Georgia and Mississippi. I delivered pizza as a young man and worked for just about every pizza shop in town. I think B.C. is the best. I like Pepperoni, Pineapple and Hot Banana Peppers, or Ham, Pineapple and Banana Peppers. I've tried shrimp, coconut, provolone cheese, dried cherries, feta cheese, and chicken, all yum, some yummier than others, and anchovies (yuck)! B.C. Pizza also has a BBQ Chicken pizza, instead of pizza sauce they use BBQ sauce and it's quite good. <br /><br />The best pizza I had was from Premo's Pizza. They are closed down now but hteir Sicilian pizza was awesome. Thick crust, cheese, toppings, and then sauce dripped over it all. And the sauce was made from acid free tomatoe sauce. It made quite a difference.

oddjob

Commander

Ok I like anchovies( I only need one chopped up for the whole pie), mushrooms, olives, onions, pineapple, Canadian bacon, spinach, broccolie(sp)and fetta cheese. I will put any of these items together if others of the group are willing. I cant eat pepperoni but sausage is ok. Never been able to try a seafood pizza either like someone above^ said earlier. <br />My favorite memories was of a small Italian family owned tavern on main street in Paris, Ky called Tony's I think ( 1970). I was maybe 10 or 11. That pizza and the whole resterant smelled like beer. ummmmmmmmmmm. I miss that smell. <br /><br />Also, Archies upper crust on main street in Richmond, Ky.<br /><br />Florida pizza sucks!.....I had a pizza at a Italian place in West Palm a couple weeks ago and they put crushed (canned) pineapple on a perfectly good pizza otherwise. :(

LadyFish

Admiral

I hadn't had a good pizza since we left NY until we moved to Galveston and found Gino's, they're straight outta Brooklyn and the pies are awesome.<br /><br />I love Texas and its many wonders but pizza is not one of them, nor is any really good Italian food, unless of course I make it myself. :p <br /><br />BTW, I like mine "all the way!" :)

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by aspeck:<br />
Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> 1- Giordano's on Rush St.<br />2- Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder on N. Clark St.<br />3- Gino's *THE ORIGINAL* on Rush St.<br /><br />nuff 'bout that.. ;)
You are so right, all these places are GOOOOOOOD! But #2 at 2121 N. Clark Street is the absolute best!
Ah, CPOG. My sister lives a few blocks away, and I just ate there last month - but you can't forget the doorman (the guy never asks a name, just remembers you).<br /><br />I work close to the original Lou Malnati's, so we get those every few weeks (1-800-LOUS-TO-GO is a good option, 'cause these warm-up really good).<br /><br />Surprised that no one has mentioned Roast Beef, Onions, and Mushrooms. Here is Chicago, we opt for Italian Beef. Might sound strange, but them-be our pizza of choice lately!

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Canadian bacon, Sauer Kraut and Pineapple. Sounds wired but it great. (Squeeze the juice out of the saur Kraut or it will make the pizza mushy.)<br /><br />The Best, and I mean the best pizza. Calderone Club Milwaukee, WI<br />2 locations run by husband and wife. I have seen the owner send a pizza back when he did not think it was good enough. He inspects each himself. Also their Bruschetta is out of this world.<br /><br />Thin cracker crust, not much sauce. Served on a baking sheet the size of your table. <br /><br />They don't make my Canadian bacon, Sauer Kraut and Pineapple.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Scoop, have ya ever had Marty's Pizza in Delafield? Another super thin crust, addictive pizza. I grew up about a mile or so away :D

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Calico, I have never been there, but have been at the Marty's in Brookfield. I had the lasgana there and it was great.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

They must have grown! Hey Scoop, it's good hearing from you again.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Best pizza I had (overall) was in italy...where you paid for it by weight...you point...indicate how much..they cut and weigh it...tried several different ones and never was diappointed.<br /><br />Best flavors...the good old "roni and shroom" and when I need a kick in the a$$...buffalo chicken pizza...need to use buffalo sauce instead of the tomato sauce...throw some jalopeno peppers on it...yummy.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What! Nobody mentioned extra garlic! <br />Have my own woodburning oven imported from Italy in kit form (6 pieces). Its all about the special clay dome, James.<br />Pizza with friends/family every Friday evening when at home. Im the chef so the wife gets a breather.<br />Thin homemade base, homemade sauces, no more than two distinct flavours (meats) at a time, sometimes three cheeses at different layers, mushrooms for body, garlic for good health, olives to go with the best Stellenbosch red wines. Whalla!<br />Kids refuse to eat pizza at restaurants or anywhere else.<br />What a pleasure!<br />D

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Damdan, I coming to South Africa for Pizza. I'll be there Friday! Boy I wish.

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scoop, you are so welcome!