oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tell me WHY I shouldn't..... Rubrail

move the screws.....seal with 4200

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

move the screws.....seal with 4200
I am going to try it with a helper and if that doesnt do it then off to WasteMarine to make a donation.... In the back of my mind I have my doubts about the ease of which the poly gets "dents"... If it is this hard for me to install then I dont want to do this again for a while....;)

You can see it does LQQK good, but the poly does NOT return its shape after a bend on impact. Easy VERY to make an impression on.... I tend to think I am have a tough time since the rail is so thick that the vinyl is putting up a good fight...!
-OP-

Attachments

• looksgoodBUT.JPG
    looksgoodBUT.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • thick stuff.JPG
    thick stuff.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 0

Willyclay

Captain

Are trying to feed it through from the end? Lots of friction that way. I just popped mine in place with a little help from a putty knife. FYI, mine is only 1/2 inch poly. Good luck!

Last edited:

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are trying to feed it through from the end? Lots of friction that way. I just popped mine in place with a little help from a putty knife. FYI, mine is only 1/2 inch poly. Good luck!
I tried both ways... If the soap was working, I planned to slip it through - but since it didnt I am trying it from the side... Wonder if I lead with like a shoe-horn or something, or even a putty knife, but i cant do it alone...
-OP-

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:D UNCLE - I GIVE!!!!! (even with a helper)
Just gave the poly away & will order this Taco insert this afternoon... Thanks for hanging in there with me... All factors considered - time to buy the 3/4" vinly insert, the poly is putting up too much of a fight for its overall durablilty...
-OP-

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know its been a while... today I installed the proper Taco insert and I am very pleased... This is one time where following directions and not being so darn CHEAP would have saved me time. All-in-All, I wasted $20 on the other stuff, yet purchased the Taco insert for $65 shipped (hunting for a deal paid off)
-OP-
cell phone pic:mad:

Attachments

• pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0

redfury

Commander

Well, look at it this way, you just paid for the materials to instruct the whole class on why buying the proper parts will work better, install easier, and really just end up much cheaper than your miserly rump originally imagined it would be ;)

Nothing wrong with trying to find alternatives, but sometimes there's just too darn good of a reason something was invented just for that purpose and nothing other ;)

Bsquared

Seaman Apprentice

I went with white rope on a chewed-up rubrail that I reused. Definitely looked better but does get marked up, and already seeing that it snags fishooks :-( A pain to put in too; putty knives and a ball peen hammer, although there was a learning curve with the hammer and knowing where to hit made the process easier. Rope was over $.50 a foot too, even on sale. Won't use it again, unless I'm working on a fancy runabout (small chance of that). For my "well used" fishing boat, I could accept dented black poly, even putting in multiple small sections to make a curve.