Tell me WHY I shouldn't..... Rubrail

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to cut some corners (time & money) and wondering WHY I should NOT use heater hose as a rub rail insert. I already have the rail...
I can get this for about $.99 a foot X 45' and buy it from the local auto-mart. The other from Taco Metals $125 with shipping.:confused:

So..... WHY shouldnt I use the this hose? THANKS!!!
-OP-

Attachments

• 1rubrail.JPG
    1rubrail.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1rubrail2.JPG
    1rubrail2.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • 1rubrail3.JPG
    1rubrail3.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tell me WHY I shouldn't..... Rubrail

actually OP i dont see why it wouldnt.....

anyone?

jonesg

Admiral

the only drawback I could imagine is it doesn't have a sealed surface, it won't clean up as ez and it might be grabby too and tend to pull out more compared a rub rail with a slick sealed surface.
But you could always tack glue it if it did.

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have seen people use rope as a rubrail insert, so i dont see why rubber hose wont work

jonesg

Admiral

if it rubs against something, like a piling, it will grab and slide inside the housing, rope will not grab like rubber.

my rubrail feels like slippery black nylon. Probably for that reason.

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the only drawback I could imagine is it doesn't have a sealed surface, it won't clean up as ez and it might be grabby too and tend to pull out more compared a rub rail with a slick sealed surface.
But you could always tack glue it if it did.
I was thinking abou the 'grabby' factor too... I will probably not use it much since we like on a lake... Its a family boat...
-OP-

reelfishin

Captain

A buddy of mine got tired of his rope insert that kept getting snagged with fish hooks so he replaced it with old garden hose, the green kind, it works but don't look like much. The heater hose would probably work just fine but two things come to mind, both friction issues when it contacts the dock, and second it may leave black marks.

I saw one guy use insulated wire as an insert once, that actually looked OK and worked great. That was on a fairly large work boat.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Use a black weather stripe glue like you get from a parts store to in stall it then use tire dressing to shine it up it will be slick as glass.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Please keep your thread alive, I'll be replacing rub rail insert soon on my project. Can anyone post the link to the rope rub rail thread? I remember reading/saving it, but have changed computers since then due to a melt down. I think you'll be okay using the hose, but I also like the insulated wire idea. If black marks are a concern, test different types of hose...maybe one marks less than another.

jonesg

Admiral

what about red rubber steam hose , home depot sells it. It has a finish to it. Steam hose is similar to heater hose in that it has dacron reinforcement.

salty87

Commander

i think that black hose will deteriorate pretty quickly in the sun. it'll get everything that touches it black as it flakes away.

Willyclay

Captain

I had rope and now I'm going with black, poly irrigation tubing from Lowe's.

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there we go...! I will check that out too... I have poly in my back yard that is over 20yrs old and still looks good... I wouldnt mind using that & cheap - never thought of it... I will check the sizes asap!
-OP-

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

How about hitting it with ArmorAll or that stuff for shiny car tires to give it a bit of protection?

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THANK YOU!!! Went to Lowes and purchased the 3/4 black poly... It was only $20 for 100' and fits like a glove. The Taco rail called for 3/4 insert... If i used the heater hose I was going to use a smaller 1/2 as shown since the 3/4 collapsed in the rail.
Thanks again guys for helping stretch the dollar and save some time!!!:D

walk-on

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OP,
Do you have a picture with the irrigation hose???

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OP,
Do you have a picture with the irrigation hose???
I'll put it on friday... today i had my brother in-law and 2 of his buddies stretch the rail on the boat. I was thankful to have 3 college baseball players tuggin' on the rail while I watched:D I could not imagine the strenght it took to move this rail. Its about as thick as my wrist...

I will post pics of the poly in the rail - as you can see its here inside this evening...
-OP-

Attachments

• poly.JPG
    poly.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
  • polytag.JPG
    polytag.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 0

reelfishin

Captain

I'll put it on friday... today i had my brother in-law and 2 of his buddies stretch the rail on the boat. I was thankful to have 3 college baseball players tuggin' on the rail while I watched:D I could not imagine the strenght it took to move this rail. Its about as thick as my wrist...

I will post pics of the poly in the rail - as you can see its here inside this evening...
-OP-
I actually like that idea the best, it will be solid enough to take a hit yet it won't leave marks on anything and shouldn't deteriorate in the sun. It may eventually crack but it's cheap enough to replace as often as needed.

redfury

Commander

My thought about the heater hose was that it didn't protrude out enough to be useful in its original intended purpose. The Irrigation hose idea is great though. I bought a small chunk of it to replace water pump extensions on an old evinrude when it was discovered that the old ones were deformed...it was just the right size since these old tubes were an odd size.

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I am in a jam... :eek: the poly does not seam to have the same heat properties as the Taco 3/4 insert. I installed the rail and placed screws about every 4" and the nature of the rail forms a "C]" that holds the insert. If i placed the screws every 6" i could feed the poly insert without a problem.

Here is what I have tried so far:
  • -Dish soap
  • -Car Wash soap
  • -Boat Zoap
  • -Push & pull...
  • -Hair dryer
  • -Heat Gun

In my mind the soap would lube the rail and poly & I'd be slip-slidin' into a completed project, NOT SO FAST...!!! Any other suggestions before I bite the bullet and buy the proper insert???? ( the Taco vinyl insert can be heated and then will bounce back to orig shape - the poly will calapse as its a molded plastic). Wonder if I could use a rubber mallet & wedge, but poly retains indentations.... Starting to think I went the WRONG way with poly :D

Another problem is I am working alone - I'll try to get my brother over ANY IDEAS or TIPS?
Thanks!!
-OP-