teleflex steering

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am nearing the end of my starcraft project and hooked up the steering only to find out that the cable will not move. disconnected the cable from the helm and it moves, reconnected and tried again and it appears to be binding on the engine end, so... do I just replace the cable or do a complete helm/cable replace. I am open to suggestions on this from those that have been in this situation. questions include; if I do a full replacement what do I need at the engine end, I have read so many threads I'm going crosseyed. what I have now is a transom bracket with the tube with a rod that connects to the engine. Or, is it ok just to get a cable and go with existing helm and hardware, budget being an issue. What i appear to have now is a C6 13' cable but can't find that in a listing, would it be called something else now???

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: teleflex steering

Looks like cable stuck in pivot tube. You can try to beat it out or do what i did replace pivot tube with stainless steel pivot tube and new cable. thats what i did. Very common problem for boats subjected to saltwater.

mark1961

Ensign

questions include; if I do a full replacement what do I need at the engine end, I have read so many threads I'm going crosseyed. what I have now is a transom bracket with the tube with a rod that connects to the engine. Or, is it ok just to get a cable and go with existing helm and hardware, budget being an issue. What i appear to have now is a C6 13' cable but can't find that in a listing, would it be called something else now???

A replacement cable may/may not be made for it anymore......depends on what connection your existing helm uses and how its setup at the motor.....post up some pics of what you have at each end.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

PM ezmobee and ask him for the source of the steering unit that both him and I have (I forgot)............ The entire unit is about the same cost as a cable alone.

Hmmmmmmm how did you pull the entire tilt tube out of your motor??? You will probably need a new tube. A new tube is about $30.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think he pulled it out of the motor. My original setup had a tube like that and a bracket the was bolted to the transom to hold it in place. Some older engines didn't even have a tube on them. If his does I would replace everything with a new system as I did and Bob said. He will have to get about a two foot longer cable and probably put a new hole in the splashwell to get it in the right location to line up with his engine. To get what he has apart he will have to unscrew the ball joint and pull the cable end out of the tube. If its stuck and corroded badly he will have to get a new tube anyway. Will end up cheaper, better, and safer to just bite the bullet and replace the whole thing.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep, ended up buying new from the helm all the way to the engine, $175 for the kit. Didn't realize that the cable just went thru the tube. Felt like an idiot for messing with it so long. Tried turning, pulling, tapping yada,yada,yada. It was so corroded from salt water that the cable siezed in the tube. To get it loose I had to cut the cable with a sawzall:redface: Oh well, live and learn.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

PM ezmobee and ask him for the source of the steering unit that both him and I have (I forgot)............ The entire unit is about the same cost as a cable alone.

Hmmmmmmm how did you pull the entire tilt tube out of your motor??? You will probably need a new tube. A new tube is about $30.

Please try to remember. Or maybe ezmobee can post here. I'm interested in hearing about it.

Sea ya...

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

tube didn't go into the motor, the tube was a transom mount and the cable bolted to the tiller post.