Tahoe Q4 SF Porpoising???????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpplum

Recruit
I had bought an 06 Q4 SF earlier this summer from a private party. The guy I bought it from bought it brand new last year and still has a warranty. I'm having problems with the boat porpoising. My local dealer isn't very helpful and gives me attitude everytime I call him to take a look at it, been trying to for 2 months now. My father in-law, who has worked for lund boats for 30 years noticed some cracking where the transom meets the hull and says there is a slight hook in the hull and maybe somebody had tried to fix it before. maybe the factory or whoever. But anyway, I'm wondering how to go about getting this problem resolved since my local dealer isn't very helpful at all. What should I expect to get done? The previous owner said it's been like that ever since he had it too, which lets me believe maybe something was done at the factory? Any input on what I should do or expect would be helpful. Thanx.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tahoe Q4 SF Porpoising???????????????

Tahoes are known to porpoise. Try changing props and distribute some weight forward. Also, you may want to consider getting some trim tabs. I've heard they solved the porpoising problem on Tahoes.

On the cracked transom, try taking some pictures of the problem and post them on the "Boat Topics and Questions" forum here on iboats. I'm sure you'll get some people to respond to the problem your experiencing.

By any chance is your dealer a Bass Pro Shop? I've read that Bass Pro Shops are not the greatest when it comes to customer service and that private dealers are more responsive. Try taking your boat to another Tahoe dealer.

Good luck!

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ccplum,I have a 2001 Q3 s/f with a 150efi and it to porpoises' and to keep it in control I have to trim it down a little. It's a pain but I've gotten the hang of it,this is my fifth boat and the only one that has done it this bad.Like Hashi stated about the tabs,I to have heard that they work so thats another avenue to go.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Q7i SF I/O and don't have much problem with porpoising. I just adjusted the trim a little if it starts and that always took care of it. Since I have added the trim tabs, I don't have any at all. Plus all the other benefits that come from the trim tabs...better fuel economy, fast hole shot, more stable in turns, etc.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had bought an 06 Q4 SF earlier this summer from a private party. The guy I bought it from bought it brand new last year and still has a warranty. I'm having problems with the boat porpoising. My local dealer isn't very helpful and gives me attitude everytime I call him to take a look at it, been trying to for 2 months now. My father in-law, who has worked for lund boats for 30 years noticed some cracking where the transom meets the hull and says there is a slight hook in the hull and maybe somebody had tried to fix it before. maybe the factory or whoever. But anyway, I'm wondering how to go about getting this problem resolved since my local dealer isn't very helpful at all. What should I expect to get done? The previous owner said it's been like that ever since he had it too, which lets me believe maybe something was done at the factory? Any input on what I should do or expect would be helpful. Thanx.

Anytime my Q7 starts to porpise...I adjust the trim slightly and it goes right away...never really an issue for me.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

To go above about 20mph (on the speedo) I need to have the trim all the way down on my Q4, otherwise I am porposing. But let there be the slightest bit of chop and I cant hardly get above 30mph egardless of how low I get the trim.

After about 10 outings it seems its not all just my inexperience, I think either my boat is not setup right or its related to this year/model.

CO_FOX

Cadet

Add the Smart Tabs SX and your problems will mostly go away. Did wonders for my 195 I/O.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure I feel comfortable on the mounting on the hull for a some of the tab setups I seen so far. Its got a weird tail end, its not flat in the transom area below the swim platform.

Q5inOH

Cadet

Go with the Smart Tabs, you won't regret it. I had the same issues with the Q5 and I too was concerned about the transom. I used epoxy as a filler/custom shim for the transom curve. Looks professional and drives like a new boat. I can continiously run on plane at 15MPH or top end with no loss in performance.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Smart tabs seems like a good fix if you are experienced, or inclined to be a handy man. Another option is have a shop install, but so far I havent found anyone local I think could do a good job. I called my local delear and asked about tabs, the tech suggested a hyrofoil instead.

So, whats a girl to do?

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no one better than a girl when it comes to following directions.

Cordless drill, 1/16 & a 3/8 drill bit, a philips screw driver, a couple wrenches, and some silicon or 3M 5200...and you'll be home free in an hour. $99 plus for slightly blemished tabs right here on iboats.:D

http://www.nauticusinc.com/images/SX-INSTALL.gif

Mine arrive tomorrow!!!​

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no one better than a girl when it comes to following directions.

Cordless drill, 1/16 & a 3/8 drill bit, a philips screw driver, a couple wrenches, and some silicon or 3M 5200...and you'll be home free in an hour. $99 plus for slightly blemished tabs right here on iboats.:D

http://www.nauticusinc.com/images/SX-INSTALL.gif

Mine arrive tomorrow!!!​

Yeah, but have you seen what a transom on a '06 Tahoe Q4 looks like? If so, I suggest you would be singing a different tune.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

SE Hydrofoil worked wonders for me, it really cut down on my porposing, alllowed my to get on trim faster and even reduced the wander at low speeds. Plus, I was able to get the boat up to 52mph today, my best speed yet.

But I also tweaked another prop, 3rd one this season. We need some rain here in central texas, all our lake levels are down.

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TahoQ4Piolt,I have the Q3 s/f and have been looking at tabs ,but am worried as they might interfer with the sturn ty down straps. Would you be able to post pics of tour boat as I think they are from the same lower hall mold.Iv

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TahoQ4Piolt,I have the Q3 s/f and have been looking at tabs ,but am worried as they might interfer with the sturn ty down straps. Would you be able to post pics of tour boat as I think they are from the same lower hall mold.I've got my Q3in the mid to upper 50's with a Trophy Plus vented four blade prop that I had J-Martin props on BassBoatMagaine.com rework for me. Thanks,Paul

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

TahoQ4Piolt,I have the Q3 s/f and have been looking at tabs ,but am worried as they might interfer with the sturn ty down straps. Would you be able to post pics of tour boat as I think they are from the same lower hall mold.Iv

Paul, that is my thought exactly, which is why I tried the hydrofoil first (which seems to have reduced the porpoise). But I also am concerned about having problems. Here are a few shots of my Q4 transom.

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01986.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TahoQ4Pilot, Thanks for the pics of your Q4 and the hydrofoil, however I don't like the amount of pressure it can generate on the cavation plate as i've seen several that have eather cracked or broken.Than again if you look at my pics I don't have mouch of a choice as even my tie down straps are in the way. Thanks,Paul

Attachments

• 4 sale 001.jpg
    4 sale 001.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 4 sale 002.jpg
    4 sale 002.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 7

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paul, if you notice, my hydrofoil is not bolted to the cavitation plate, it is mounted to a clamp that is attached to the c plate which distributes the forces across it from the edges.

I suggest none of the problems you saw were attributed to this style, or at least I havent found any reports of such.

//dan

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks TahoQ4Pilot for the clairification on your hydrofoil I take it that no holes are drilled. Is it bolted together over the cav. plate ? I was on the water yesterday and saw one on a Triton bass boat that looked like yours. I my have to get one as it looks as if it's the best option at present time. Thanks for the info,Paul

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correct, no holes drilled. If I dont like the performance, I just unbolt it all and no long-lasting affects. No harm, no foul. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.