The Police(nazi) state I live in...

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: The Police(nazi) state I live in...

I have 84 Y/O uncle who was forced labor in Poland during WW2 who would have enjoyed getting that ticket, JB is right, Nazi to not the right choice of words....

D

DJ

Chicago! You can't be serious??. You folks have the best politicians (and offspring) money can buy. The legacies will go on, and on, and on, and on. There will be Daleys in office in the year 2200.

I would like to see the voting turnout percentages. Discounting the dead ones, of course.8)

Crooks, yes-Nazi's, NO WAY.

ZmOz

Captain

JB said:
"Police state" and "Nazi" are very strong terms.

I suggest you research what they really mean and count your blessings.

Maybe you need to do some research as well. The word nazi, when used in lower case the way Speedwagon did, does not refer to the people who worked for hitler. It is a universal term to describe somebody who is a control freak, much like a cop who thinks they need to write a ticket for every last thing. If you're talking about those people who killed the jews it's "Nazi", with a capital.

D

DJ

Nazi, nazi, Nazi, whatever, has a bad enough meaning, in most peoples hearts, to mean not something good.

Like it or not, words mean things.

ZmOz

Captain

DWJ said:
Nazi, nazi, Nazi, whatever, has a bad enough meaning, in most peoples hearts, to mean not something good.

Like it or not, words mean things.

Sure, it's probably offensive to some people, but to tell him he needs to go research the word when he used it correctly is just silly.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

If you park in a fire zone, or in front of a fire hydrant and there is no fire do you still deserve a ticket?

D

DJ

Zm,

You completely missed my point. Whether used in correct grammar, tense or as a verb or pronoun is of no consequence.

Sorry to disappoint, but the word does not bring a favorable reaction in most people. If you call me that, to my face, regardless of your meaning, you will end up seriously hurt.

Most people still have some semblance of what that word meant to a past generation. Too bad that this generation is too stupid to realize that.

We'll dumb each other down until we repeat it. Nothing is new, only the players.

ZmOz

Captain

DWJ said:
Sorry to disappoint, but the word does not bring a favorable reaction in most people.

That's the point. Speedwagon was looking for a strong word to describe somebody he really hates. nazi fits the bill. I agree, it is offensive to some people, but when I speak I couldn't care less who I offend. That's why I live in a free country.

D

DJ

I see that you pick your quotes-carefully.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Yeah, the ticket sucks, but how would you have felt if there was a vehicle parked as yours was when you went over there. The very fact that you decided to use the ramp means someone else may have wanted to use it. How do you know someone didn't come by and call the police because they couldn't use the ramp? Just pay it and do the right thing next time..

BTW, law enforcement success is determined by the LACK of crime in a given area. Lack of crime is achieved by police presence, and community involvement. Maybe instead of whining about a town having too many cops, you should be glad you don't have to deal with high crime in the first place. I live in a small town, there is a significant police presence, and the worst crime we have is some drug activity and DUIs. I'll take that over drive-bys and home invasions any day...

JRJ

Commander

Upper case or lower case, we get the meaning ZmOz.

crunch

Commander

So let's see....... if I call someone a nigger it's ok, as long as I don't call them a Nigger?... try that with the next 6' 6" black you see..... Black, is that still PC? 8)

crunch

Commander

LOL.... that was lower case........ LOWER CASE!!!
lmao.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hate words are hate words, ZmOz.

You are too young to fully appreciate what "Nazi or nazi" mean. Never mind some pseudointellectual nitpicking. Try the using the infamous "N" word in lower case and see where it gets you. No, never mind. Misuse of language shouldn't be a capital offense.

The law is the law. Some Officers (capitalized) might overlook the law in this case. This one didn't. If you don't like the law, complain to those who made it, not about those sworn to enforce it who decide to do what they are charged with.

"Yabut it wasn't my fault." doesn't float.

ZmOz

Captain

JB said:
Hate words are hate words, ZmOz.

Like I said, that's the point. He was expressing his hate for the cop, was he not? That's why we have strong words in our langauge, to express strong feelings. This does not compare to the "N" word because that is the same either capital or not, as defined by any english dictionary.

If he wasn't intending to express hatred, then maybe he used the wrong word. None of us know exactly what it was he was trying to express.

crunch

Commander

ZmOz... I have an English Dictionary... uppercase or lowercase, makes no difference... in either of the N words..... now pig or PIG.... those are appropriate hate words 8)

crunch

Commander

But we've gotten WAY off the subject.......

D

DJ

But we've gotten WAY off the subject.......

Sure have. But, somebody painted themselves into a corner and we spent some time trying to get them out.

crunch

Commander

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...... even if you suspend said horse by the heels with his head in the water.

i386

Captain

IANAL but...

There is the letter of the law and there is the spirit of the law. Based on what Speedwagon said, he was acting in the spirit of the law though in violation of the letter. If he can convince the judge of this, he might get by with a warning or reduced fine.

I can understand his anger and frustration, but there's always risk involved when it comes to the spirit of the law.