Swim Platform Screws popped off...

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
This past weekend, we had my boat beached on a shoreline at the lake. When we left we had to push the boat out, and unfortunately (lesson definitely learned), the screws to the upper part of the rods supporting the swim platform all popped out. I obviously need to fix this. My question is what type of screws should I use? I have a 2007 Glastron GX205. It's a fiberglass swim platform.

Will I be able to just replace the screws and screw them back in the holes that are already there? Or am I screwed here?

Any ideas?

Tommy

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Swim Platform Screws popped off...

Did they pop out because the wood backing plate is rotten?

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

Wood backing plate? Where would this plate be in a fiberglass swim platform??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think we're gunna need pics! Are you talking about the screws in the Platform OR the screws that attach it to the boat?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I think we're gunna need pics! Are you talking about the screws in the Platform OR the screws that attach it to the boat?

Truth ^^

I assumed the latter...

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

The boat has two rods attached to the transom. The other end of the rods attaches to the swim platform (to obviously support it). The part that attaches to the swim platform is what I am referring to. When we tried to move the boat from being beached, a couple of my friends were lifting on the swim platform...That caused the screws to pop out. The rods are still attached to the transom just fine, it's the screws that attach to the platform...

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

The boat has two rods attached to the transom. The other end of the rods attaches to the swim platform (to obviously support it). The part that attaches to the swim platform is what I am referring to. When we tried to move the boat from being beached, a couple of my friends were lifting on the swim platform...That caused the screws to pop out. The rods are still attached to the transom just fine, it's the screws that attach to the platform...

Good news, I thought we were about to be dealing with a rotten transom.

Some pics would really be helpful. Of the damage, underside of the swim platform, etc

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

I'll try to swing by my storage unit a little later and take a couple pics. But until then, all it looks like is a couple platform rods waiting to have screws put in them...no real "damage" to the swim platform...the screws literally just popped out when people were lifting on the platform.

Stay tuned for the pics.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Questions... Is the Platform ABS Plastic, or Fiberglass Molded? Where the screws go in... is there a thickened molded backer area of some kind? would it me possible to drill through the area and use SS-bolts instead of screws? Pics will help us to help you, so take em above and below the platform so we can see how the thing is constructed and meant to be attached.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'm 99% sure I know what your dealing with.

You have a Fiberglass and gelcoated swim platform .. with plywood core. The screws pulled out of the underside of the platform/support struts ( smashed ends of the 3/4 - 1' stainless tubing bent with holes and screwed underside ). Probably #10x1" SS screws.

What I would do is ditch the Screws and through bolt them with Carriage bolts and washers/lockwashers/nuts ( Do not use nyloc nuts for this application .. just regular washers,lockwashers and nuts ). Nuts on the bottom side of course..

Basically put in a screw to locate where your strut needs to be.. then blow your 1/4" hole in the other hole .. dry run your carriage bolt .. remove the screw.. then blow another hole into the other hole and add the other carriage bolt ( 2 screws in each strut right ? ).

Seal every thing WELL with some 4200 ( bolts/heads of bolts/washers ).

YD.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

yacht dr is right on the money on how to repair it right.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

My only difference than Yacht Dr would be to use SS flat head screws and countersink if your platform is thick enough to do it. Minimizes the discomfort of stepping on a carriage bolt with your heel.

On mine I countersunk the holes a little extra then coated with resin to seal the area. Then redid the countersink to the correct depth and sealed with 4200.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yes .. the flat head screws will work.

But carriage bolts have more surface area without a washer to the bolt head to fiberglass .

Your counter sinking for your flat heads will remove perfectly good glass ( used as a washer at this point on the head of the bolt ) .

Im sure we are not talking about 1/2" bolts with 3/4" rounded heads on them .. little nubs on your platform will not deter the kids.

No matter what you do .. its better then just screws underside of the SP :) .

YD.

chriscraft254

Commander

Yacht Doctor is on the money. If the core is solid this will work, if you through bolt it and see any depression by the bolt, you probably want to put some large washers before bolting. To mount mine, I used stainless bolts with the angled head and used a trim washer. I'm sure thats not what there called. But my support brackets are truss like and get like 4 mounting screws in each one. So the carraige bolt is probably better for strength.

If you don't want to drill through your platform, you can drive epoxied dowl rods in the screw holes, let them set-up. Cut the dowel rods flush and then rescrew the screws back into the platform, make sure there stainless.

Owe, and as far as getting the boat off the beach, use your motor! Turn the wheel all the way to port, in reverse and motor trimmed a little, throttle up until the wash gets swirling around your boat. While still throttled up, turn the wheel all the way to starboard. Go back and forth until the suction is released from the boat, then just back out. Make sure there isn't anyone swimming next to your boat while doing this because it can cause an undertow! This works every time for me.

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

Owe, and as far as getting the boat off the beach, use your motor! Turn the wheel all the way to port, in reverse and motor trimmed a little, throttle up until the wash gets swirling around your boat. While still throttled up, turn the wheel all the way to starboard. Go back and forth until the suction is released from the boat, then just back out. Make sure there isn't anyone swimming next to your boat while doing this because it can cause an undertow! This works every time for me.

Chris, good tip on getting the boat out from being beached...I'll give that a try next time. I'm still a bit of a boating novice...Only owned my boat for about 6 months.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

So .. how are you planning on fixing this.

YD.

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

So .. how are you planning on fixing this.

YD.

I think I am going to try the epoxied dowel rod approach...for now. I think I will eventually go with countersinking carriage bolts all the way through the platform, but for now, I'm going to drill a 1/4" diameter hole about an inch into the existing holes and core. then get a couple of dowel rods and epoxy them, and shove them into the drilled holes. I'll then let them set. I'll sand down the ends of the rods so that they are more or less flush with the fiberglass (being careful of course not to sand the fiberglass down). Then I'll 5200 the new screws and put them back in. Hopefully that will hold it for a few more trips out on the lake. I'll do the permanent fix in the offseason.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would use 4200 instead of 5200.

Ugh not this debate again... :facepalm:

There is no debate on this application .. 4200 or 5200 .. wont matter.. threads dont carry caulk when screwed in.

Caulk application is just for sealant .. not bonding or strength for this. Use 9800 if you wish. It will still not do anything from a fastener point of view :) .

Do the epoxy thing with dowels .. I woulda had this thing Done in 40 min tops.

Dont countersink Carriage bolts .. there not ment to be used that way ..

YD.