Check out my new toolbox!!

waterinthefuel

Commander
I didn't need those bad tires to make that long trip after all. I got this from Wal-Mart believe it or not, .8 miles down the road. Both pieces, after using all the rebate cards I got from building this computer came to a total of 165 which includes the tax. All drawers are ball bearing and lockable. I added the drawer liners myself. I don't think it looks too shabby! I don't have much money, so I figured that if I could save the money for the tools that go in it, that's more important than the box they'll be sitting in. I still don't think I did too bad though. It's just a offbrand Craftsman box. This will be when I start work as an airplane mechanic. I already have a simple plastic toolbox for home use.

IMG_4504.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Check out my new toolbox!!

So now let's see photos of it filled !!!!
Nice toolbox.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would keep it in the living room and keep the tv remote in there!!

WizeOne

Commander

....This will be when I start work as an airplane mechanic. I already have a simple plastic toolbox for home use.......

IMHO, witf, you got that backwards. Leave that beauty at home and take the cheesy plastic toolbox to work!:p

waterinthefuel

Commander

Yea really, I hate to see it go. My old instructor is giving me his old computer so I'm going pick it up tomorrow, which means I'm going to be bringing my box to school tomorrow also. How sad. It's like dropping a kid off at school and not coming back for a month!!! I don't start school again until May 28th! :eek:

Bigprairie1

Commander

Ok witf, looks good!!
....but, thats the easy part!! Filling it is the hard, expensive part!:D:D
BP;):cool:

puddle jumper

Captain

Looks like a great starter box. Like Bigprairie said the hard part is filling it. Back when i was just starting out it was like a mortgage i had going with the tool man. I budgeted $200 a month. It was hard on the wife and me but now i have a trade and the tools that has supported my family even in the worst of times.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Yea, the expensive part is trying to fill it. Since I'm a student, Matco and Snap on give me automatic 50% off of everything. However, they are still twice as expensive as Craftsman, and both have lifetime warranties. Yea, Matco is better, but it's alot easier to replace a Craftsman tool than a Matco and my livelihood depends on them so ease of replacement does matter.

puddle jumper

Captain

The only thing that i can say about tool purchase is buy the tool that is going to work when you need it. Just about all tool manufactures have a life time warranty.

Snap on does not always make the best tools but after saying that there tools do seem to work better.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Never had an issue with Snap On tools other than the fact I don't have enough of them.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

thats a good starter box. Buy the best tool you can afford to loose. I have it good now my employer supplies ALL tools. our biggest problem is stuff walking off from employees of other departments coming through the shop.
There is a big difference in quality between craftsman and snap on. I have had good luck with craftsman wrenches(love snapon hate the $$) and sockets but prefer snap on ratchets and specialty tools. you can find deals on in pawn shops on tools.
Oh yeah the last box I bought I asked my wife if I could buy a new one because I outgrew the one I was in. She said go ahead and never asked the price. I ordered it from snappy and it was delivered the next day. took the paperwork home that night ,she saw it and I about got divorced. She had no idea a tool box cost $5000. I told her I went the cheaper way.:eek:

bhammer

Ensign

That's a nice looking box. Just remember, it aint the tools that make the mechanic. Buying high quality tools will go a long way though. Anything that ratchets, make sure it has many many clicks for each revolution. For wrenches, if you need skinny, buy a set of those to go along with your regular. I am in the corporate aircraft repair and I have a mix of snap on, craftsman and mac. I have been getting some Klien as well as some of theirs are good quality.

puddle jumper

Captain

Oh yeah the last box I bought I asked my wife if I could buy a new one because I outgrew the one I was in. She said go ahead and never asked the price. I ordered it from snappy and it was delivered the next day. took the paperwork home that night ,she saw it and I about got divorced. She had no idea a tool box cost $5000. I told her I went the cheaper way.:eek:

Yes Snap on tool boxes are not cheep. I don't know what the prices per box are down there but up here $5000 is not even close to the price on there big boxes.:eek: Its like about an intermediate boxes cost.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

mine was bought when I lived in NY about 9 years ago. its just a krl761b workstation that sits collecting dust in my shed. :eek::rolleyes: