Suzuki Outboard "Warranty Nightmare"

Steelie

Cadet
Re: Suzuki Outboard "Warranty Nightmare"

Catwoman, Can you tell us exactly what change was made to the Suzuki DF70 cam?? Was the O.D. of the cam increased or are they now using a different alloy?? Suzuki is not telling customers anything. My rebuilt engine now has a high pitched screech at approx. 850 rpms, any thoughts?? :confused:

captsara

Seaman

Enrique Pimentel,<br /><br />Thank your for mentioning "BROWNSPOINT MARINE", if it weren't for their willingness to share information, I would still be vulnerable to the microfiche story. In other words, I am on "need to know" status.<br />Nothing irritates me more. I am commercial so I get no warranties, but I'm just another stupid boat owner, and shouldn't have access to parts or manuals. <br />As an operator of a small passenger vessel, USCG certified, I am responsible for every soul I take aboard. I have jump thru more hoops than I can mention, to prove my competence. I think I should be entitled to a shop manual, for goodness sake. WTF/OVER<br /><br />Cat Women, <br />Talk is cheap babe, I’m sorry to choose not to back up your response to my post.<br />Let's get off shore in some big stuff and talk about the back page of my warranty. <br />Is this about seaworthiness, or point of law? <br />I would love the to take top dogs from Suzuki, either America, or Japan out for sea trial. <br />If they were not busy peeing on their bellies, they might understand the responsibility that goes with selling marine motors.

pimentel15

Seaman Apprentice

dear maui girl<br />In 1996 I bought a 225 suz and between bad <br />dealers in miami and those boys from suzuki<br />corporate I have been thru hell and back and <br />the funny thing is that they are really great<br />motors but they dont have support thanks to paul in brownspoint who gave me parts list.<br />A few years ago he wrote to me and said hey I am trying to make a living I felt bad I dont like to hurt anyone and how they make a living,in miami fla for instance the talk in the street is that dealers are being turned<br />down by reps on most warranty jobs.<br />I have been hurt by this so Ipost complaints<br />been doing it for years I know so many people<br />in miami the horror stories from local dealers shafting people ,,,mark my words<br />this will become a big bomb until gov gets involved or media runs story.<br />Again not all suzuki dealers are bad so please excuse me if anyone as been afended.<br />needless to say I really like suzuki but I<br />will choose yami next they usually back up<br />talk even if cost is more.I have manauls for <br />some suz 225-150-200-enriquepim@aol.com<br />s

captsara

Seaman

Don't get me wrong, I love my 4-stroke Suzuki's. Our friends at Brownspoint seem to realize that we are not the enemy. I have no problem paying for parts, or service. I run my motors hard. I am greatful for any opportunitee to become more self relient. Technology is changing quickly.

catwoman

Cadet

hawkeye1<br /><br />if you want to get thru to suzuki you have to write a letter registered return reciept requested use to be a policy that all letters will be answered thats the way it was the last i heard not bad for cold seziure with the the use of 40 degree c thermo;s you are correct about dealer losing his award cause ever customer that complains goes against the dealer going to miami boat show will drop off e mail from this web sight at the suzuki booth maybe get an answer will also send to california <br /> get back to ya next week

catwoman

Cadet

STEELIE<br /><br />IN SERVICE SCHOOL THE QUESTION WILL BE ASKED WHY ARE THEY FAILING ? AND WHAT WAS CHANGED?<br />WILL REPLY WHEN ANSWER IS FOUND A HIGH PITCH AT 850 COULD BE ANYTHING? WAS POWERHEAD REBULIT OR REPLACED ? HOW MANY HOURS SINCE REPLACING ? SINCE NOISE TRAVELS CHECK THE GEAR OIL FOR SAFTEY HAVE SEEN PROBLEMS

catwoman

Cadet

ENRIQUE PIMENTEL<br /><br /><br />YOUR SEARCH FOR A GENETIC IMPELLER FOR YOUR 225 SIERRA AND AQUAPOWER MAKE REPLACEMENT IMPELLER FROM SUZUKI HAS BEEN GREAT. YOUR COST IS AROUND $30.00 IF YOU CANT FIND IT CALL JENSEN MARINE SERVICE 1234 MERRICK ROAD<br />COPIAGUE NY 11726 631-226-9739

catwoman

Cadet

MAUI GIRL<br /><br /><br />HOW DID YOU MAKE OUT WITH YOUR STARTER? I KNOW BROWNSPOINT VERY WELL LIKE YOUR RESPONSE. IF YOU EVER NEED ANY PARTS IF BROWNSPOINT CANT HELP YA TRY JENSEN MARINE SERVICE INC 1234 MERRICK ROAD COPIAGUE,NY 11726 631-226-9739 P.S. SINCE GOING ON THIS WEB SITE I CAN'T BELIVE PEOPLE ARE HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING PARTS IN REALITY<br />ITS NOT BAD AT ALL BUT SOMETIMES THINGS HAPPEN ONE CALL AWAY :eek:

rtice

Cadet

Catwoman, I also noticed a different sound to my engine after the camshaft was replaced. It was a high pitch like Steelie is talking about. Due to the fact that my engine wasn't repaired until the middle of Nov. and I live in MN, I was only able to run it for 1 hour after the repair. I would be interested in why the change in sound at low RPM.

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again Catwoman. I guess I will send a letter to Suzuki. I guess that will screw my dealer again also. I wish I could get a call into the CEO of Suzuki and screw the letter. Not sure what the 40c thermostat has to do with my cold seizure seeing the engine was designed to run at that temp. Non of the other pistons showed any problems. <br /><br />Again I would pass on the aftermarket impellars. I belive the one I had was a Sierra on my Yamaha and like I said it only went 90 hrs before my engine started to overheat at trolling speeds. I got 2 years and 400 hrs out of every Yamaha impellar I used and never did get a overheat with them in 10 years and 2100 hrs. I think the last Suzuki impellars were 45$ Yamaha's were about the same. Not worth the 15$ savings in my experience.

mgortel

Cadet

I would go for PUNITIVE damages as well as a new motor. Screw them. It's hard to put a price on the time lost time......you have been without YOUR boat and YOUR motor for 5 months of your life......sock it to them. A warranty is legal agreement and they have gone beyond good faith by not honoring the warranty in a reasonable amount of time.

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately "within a reasonable" is wording placed in contracts and warrantees because Big Business always has a way to explain any given time as reasonable. A warrantee isn’t a legal agreement it’s a promise. These days it amounts to “We promise to fix any DEFECTS to the original product as soon as we get to it as long as we are SURE and it can be PROVEN to be our fault” <br /><br />In addition there is no cause for punitive damages. These problems are all over the board and unforeseen. "Out of their control" If you had something like a re-call six months ago and the problem happened now it could have been foreseen. But you still would not be awarded money for "punitive damage" Punitive means to punish for a wrongdoing, these were unforeseen accidents, not intentional actions against you personally that needs to be punished. And I doubt that there is a judge in the world that would compensate you for not being able to have fun. Now if you required the boat to make a living than you may have a case.<br /><br />Sorry I know your frustration and you feel like punishing someone who wouldn’t! Maybe after this Suzuki will be forced to fix the problems with their products or people will stop buying and the mighty will fall. Unfortunately that may take a decade or two. <br /><br />I sincerely wish all of you the best of luck and patience. May God bless all of you with a friend with room on their boat until your saga is over.<br /><br />Keep fighting you have right on your side, in time right will win!<br /><br /> ;)

catwoman

Cadet

STEELIE<br /><br /><br />ACCORDING TO MY FRIENDS AT JENSEN MARINE THE CAM SHAFT IS HOLLOW WOULD ASSUME (HATE TO USE THE WORD ) THE CAM SHAFT HAS BEEN MADE STRONGER (HOLLOW) TO GET RID OF EXTRA WEIGHT EVERY POUND COUNTS HAS TO COME OFF SOME WHERE

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I don' know, Cap Ultra. If a guy with a good lawyer went into court not asking for the moon but something reasonable, and has been through what some of these folks have been through, I believe they might be successful. If I was on the jury, I'd sure find in their favor. How would ya'll vote?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />hooty

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't be fooled into thinking the warranty is the beginning and end of legal protection. Many provinces and states have consumer protection laws and sale of goods legislation that can override warranty limitations and fine print. Plus the warranty is basically a supplement to the legal contract you entered into with the dealer when you bought the product. That contract was for a brand new outboard motor and, regardless of a warranty, most courts will imply a contractual term that a new product will be reliable for a reasonable time after purchase if properly maintained, will otherwise be fit for its purpose, and that it will be repaired promptly or replaced by the vendor if it breaks down early on. Repeated breakdowns or unnacceptable downtime makes motors lemons under the law, and usually that means you can sue and force the dealer or manufacturer to take it back and give you your money back plus damages for reasonably foreseeable loss of the use and enjoyment of the product you were supposed to receive. <br /><br />The real reason most people hash it out with a manufacturer instead of suing is that a lawsuit over a $10,000 motor just isn't economic for a lawyer to take on, even when you add the damages for loss of use. That's what small claims courts are for -- you have to do it yourself.<br /><br />By the way, if the dealer made you promises about service to get you to buy, those can be legally binding and override the warranty. Likewise, if the manufacturer made promises in literature, those can be binding too. Most buyers are never given a chance to read the warranty until after they buy which makes it hard for the small print to be enforced against you in court.

pimentel15

Seaman Apprentice

hey guys<br />I bet all reps are going to be at the miami<br />international boat show I am going

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ask them about early piston fails on there 225's. Be intersting what they say. Tell them you know someone that found 4 with early failures in the mid atlantic area in 2000. One being his own, mine.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Steelie...<br /><br />What dealer did you buy your Suzi from? <br /><br />Walt<br /><br />PS I apologize if you already mentioned it...There are so many replies here I may have missed it.

pimentel15

Seaman Apprentice

I went to boat show in miami talked to two reps one said he knew all about internet<br />and did nothing,<br />second guy said he never heard there was a problem.<br /><br />I kind of find it hard to beleive

Steelie

Cadet

Catwoman, re: high pitched screech. The powerhead was rebuilt not replaced. They said replacement powerheads were not even available. I checked the lower unit oil when I got the engine back from rebuild and it was fine. It now has about 30 hrs on it since overhaul for a total of approx. 180hrs.