suspected timing issue on 74 15hp johnson *updated*

nwcove

Admiral
Re: suspected timing issue on 74 15hp johnson, help!

are you %100 sure its a 74 15hp? i still cant get by that purple anodized cam.....have never seen a purple part on an omc! also, as i mentioned, the part # on the carb does not match the year....unless i was looking at it wrong? ( 387259?)

Rick.

Captain

I guess im using the wrong mark then. I didnt see any other mark on it. As far as I know this motor was not used for anything else and should be mostly original parts. I know the head was changed many years back and it has new points and anything I have done do it. Should be original carb though.

I wont be able to get to this until next summer now as im up at school. but keep throwing ideas out. This one has me stumped still. I have a feeling something is out of whack in it. Also, after the motor sat for a couple hours laying like on its "front" (propeller face down) there was a black substance/liquid coming out down by the propeller, what could this be?

Quit school and get this motor running now! We cannot wait until next summer. LOL. Do well and enjoy your year. The other mark is just a straight line on the purple plate and easily seen in your picture. Rick.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quit school and get this motor running now! We cannot wait until next summer. LOL. Do well and enjoy your year. The other mark is just a straight line on the purple plate and easily seen in your picture. Rick.
I wish I could just quit school haha, but this is my last year so im ready to be done.

So the mark that you guys are talking about is on the armature plate, not the flywheel?

And yes I know its a 74, the model number on the tag is 1574S I believe

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

I work on anywhere between 20 to 50 of these motors each season, I have yet to see a purple cam plate like the photo,, notice I said yet, interesting tho \:)

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class

I work on anywhere between 20 to 50 of these motors each season, I have yet to see a purple cam plate like the photo,, notice I said yet, interesting tho \:)

On any motor period, or just motors in that year? Interesting either way, makes me wonder.

AlTn

Commander

the mark is on the Throttle Control Cam...try a site that has diagrams of your engine, marineengine.com happens to be one I use a lot, as well as leeroysramblings.com to determine the what and how of things if you're going to work w/o a factory manual on the 9.9/15 hp series...also try searches on here and youtube

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class

So lets say the timing was set properly using the correct mark and it still wasnt running. Whats next?

AlTn

Commander

you revist your carb rebuild as it was running before you rebuilt the carb