Stupid PETA Billboard removed

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I hate PETA, what a bunch of morons. I dont enjoy hurting the fish and animals I eat, but thats life. Humans are at the top of the food chain.<br /><br />Ken<br /><br /> http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2740247 <br /><br />Firm reels billboard in after controversy<br />PETA ad with a fishhooked dog shocked drivers, company <br />By KEVIN MORAN<br />Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle<br /><br />GALVESTON - An anti-fishing sign on Interstate 45 that shows a dog with a fishhook through its bloody lip will be taken down because of numerous complaints, a nationwide sign company decided Monday. <br /><br /><br />Along with the picture, the billboard, paid for by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, bears the question:<br /><br />"If you wouldn't do this to a dog, why do it to a fish?"<br /><br />The billboard went up Aug. 10. It is the first in a national campaign to emphasize the animal advocacy group's contention that fishers inflict torturous injuries and deaths on their catches, PETA spokesman William Rivas-Rivas said Monday.<br /><br />Pat Murray, executive director of the 50,000-member recreational fishing group Coastal Conservation Association Texas, called the billboard "extremist" and said he's glad it will be removed.<br /><br />"It's a gross mischaracterization of the sport and the pastime," said Murray, adding that he saw the sign, near the intersection of I-45 and Texas 146, on Sunday. "We're not dog fishing."<br /><br />The billboard's owner, advertising giant Viacom Outdoor, informed PETA's Norfolk, Va., headquarters Monday that Viacom would exercise its contractual right to remove the sign because of complaints.<br /><br />Viacom spokesman Jeremy Murphy said he was unable to provide the exact number of complaints the company received before deciding to remove the sign.<br /><br />But in an e-mail announcing the decision to PETA, Viacom employee Cecilia Yu said the company received "numerous complaints from the community."<br /><br />Rivas-Rivas said PETA will not fight the billboard's removal but plans to place the same advertisement in the New Orleans and Columbus, Ohio, areas, among others.<br /><br />He said PETA has received no complaints about the billboard.<br /><br />PETA paid $2,000 to rent the Texas billboard for a month and $400 to produce the sign, Rivas-Rivas said.<br /><br />Viacom will refund most of the rent, he said.<br /><br />The billboard ads include the address for a PETA-run Internet site, www.fishinghurts.com. The ads are designed to spur interest in PETA's advocacy campaigns, Rivas-Rivas said.<br /><br />PETA maintains that scientific studies show that fish feel pain just like other animals, Rivas-Rivas said.<br /><br />"Just because fish don't scream out in pain doesn't mean we can do whatever we want with them," he said. "Fish aren't swimming vegetables."<br /><br />PETA supports vegetarian diets and maintains that — aside from the pain issue — chemically contaminated fish are dangerous to eat.<br /><br />Murray said he's not sure whether fish experience great pain.<br /><br />"I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know definitively," Murray said. "There is a lot of science in a lot of different directions on that subject."<br /><br />Murray said fishing is a traditional American family activity that PETA will not be able to eradicate.<br /><br />He said groups such as his lobby for regulations to preserve fish species.<br /><br />Viacom's Murphy said the company tries to ensure billboard content is "responsible, tasteful and appropriate for public display."<br /><br />"With this in mind, we decided to take this sign down this week," Murphy said.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stupid PETA Billboard removed

P.E.T.A<br /><br />P.eople<br />E.ating<br />T.asty<br />A.nimals<br /><br />that's my organization ...<br /><br />... "Hey, someone fire up the grill!"

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Reminds me of the time my dog, who loves to eat bait, grabbed at the bait as I was about to cast.......

gaugeguy

Captain

I have hooked my dog :( <br /><br />Fish don't whimper like that :p

SoulWinner

Commander

Hmmmmm...lets some more really intelligent questions;<br /><br />Q: If you wouldn't put 2 cycle oil in your car, would you put it in your outboard?<br /><br />Q: If you wouldn't put ketchup on your ice cream, would you put it on your burger?<br /><br />Q: If you wouldn't go to work naked, would you step into the shower naked?<br /><br />These people are retards.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It's all a mark of a society going decadent, with too much time and money on it's hand. It's just another example of misplaced spirituality. These same people revile God, but figure that this is their version of 'good works' and their meal ticket to ??????

sangerwaker

Commander

trying to fix it now.....<br /><br />OK works now, might tick off the PETA people...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Millions starving in the would and they want to spend money to save a fish. (Which could feed these starving people)<br /><br />This is over for me, pass the tarter sauce and lemon...

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It would be nice to see a group with those kind of resources advocate the ethical treatment of children instead of fish. I guess helping misfortunate people doesn't generate as much shock as a "hooked dog".<br /><br />by the way....except when prohibited by law, blackties family are all "catch and eat" fishermen! ;)

ndemge

Commander

Lets do a collection and put up another billboard:<br /><br />PETA: Sofa King Re Todd Did

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Read here that they'll be putting one of these billboards up in my hometown.... Hmm, I'll have to get the billboard company's phone number.

"Fish aren't swimming vegetables."<br /><br />- Thank God, I hate veggies.<br /><br />What makes me bitter is that the "controversy" that this is causing is getting ol' PETA a million times more attention (that they want) than that billboard would have given them. And to top it off they are getting a refund on the billboard rental. *sigh*<br /><br />I love animals. They're delicious!

ndemge

Commander

good point lundminnow....<br /><br />The could have spent MILLIONS putting that billboard all over the US, instead, put up ONE and let the internet spread it for them.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

FWIW, I only shared sangerwakers link.. :p

Exactly, <br /><br />Do you think that was a coincidence? Look where they posted the billboard. Houston Texas. Not exactly PETA friendly country. They posted it in the Beef capital of the world because they knew there'd be a lot of protest about it and that's how they'd spend $500 to spread a message that would normally cost millions.<br /><br />I completely disagree with their message, but you have to give them credit for their delivery.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I have one thing to say about these idiots. There's an easy way to deal with them. Every time you see someone wearing the logo, or read a sign with the logo, just remember what it means and you can laugh it all off much easier. Just remember they're idiots that have to wear a disclaimer everywhere they go:<br /><br />(P)lease (E)xcuse (T)his (A)$$hole. <br /><br />or (T)hese (A)$$holes as the case may be.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, that explains it all. I always thought it was spelled "P.I.T.A"<br /><br />Pain In The ....