Stupid people ran out of gas in front of my house.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Stupid people ran out of gas in front of my house.

Amen Slowly Sinking! God loves a cheerful giver! It's better to give than to recieve!<br /><br />Ryan if you take to heart what people are posting to this thread, you can learn now what life will otherwise teach you down the road; lessons that are easier to learn here than out in the world. Bless you for your generosity.

crab bait

Captain

three times try up a hill on a pint- o -gas ,,is pretty dumb..<br /><br />even a crow/raven woulda pecked/beeked stones into the tank to raise the level..<br /><br />but i have a sayin' ..." if everone was like me,,, it still would be a @#$#@messed-up world."

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Expected pay back on a "favor" or a "Blessing" makes the "favor" or "blessing" a service given not a "favor" or a "blessing" Think about it Ryan the fact that they didnt pay you back or thank you appropratly does not lessen your gift to them but you complaining about doing it did for sure. :(

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, this thread has turned in an unexpected direction. The guy did a good deed. Who knows what else is going on in his life, maybe his need to vent was fueled by alot more than just the gas incident. Seems like some posters are showing the same leap to judgement of which they are accusing Ryan.<br /><br />Hope this thread dies out pretty quickly...

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Helping someone out because of an expectation of a reward is just a manifestation of the heart not being in the right place. A gift given out of a genuine desire only to help someone is what it's all about.<br /><br />You don't always get the polite reaction from someone after you help them. That's no reflection on you, but I think it (or at least the mindset) brings consequences upon the offender.<br /><br />I think I would have to question the man's "common sense" myself. He could have emptied whatever gasoline container he was using into the tank to ensure they reached the gas station and refilled it there. But then again, anyone can find their self doing something the hard way once in a while.<br /><br />But I don't blame Ryan one bit for coming to the conclusion that the man was acting very stupid, and was not civil in his gratitude.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

First off Lakelivin many, if not all of us who responded know Ryan because of the great amount of time spent here on Iboats, so many of us sort of feel responsable to help our younger posters grow anyway we can. Second I dont think one person gave him a hard time because he helped, but it was #1 his name calling and #2 his expectation of a pay back that was brought up and hopefully explained to him so as to help in simalar situations down the line. We all know Ryan comes here to vent, as many of us do, but I hope when Im out of line some of my Iboat buddies try to help keep me on track.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yea, Lakelivin. Ryan's kewl. He's just young and learning. I just hope none of this hurt his feelins.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Ryan and you others who help out and continue too, I could have been one of my teenagers!..sl

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea, Ryan did some name calling (I see that as the venting part). But the way I read his post his main complaint wasn't that he didn't receive some sort of payback (like he expected a reward or something) but towards the lack of courtesy of the 'helpees' for not even offering to replace what he gave them.<br /><br />When I said I hope this thread died out pretty quickly, it was cause I thought the issue was pretty well covered and getting overblown. And here I just extended it. Damm me, lol!!!

11 footer

Lieutenant

You all have WAY to much time you your hands.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I forgot about the whole thing, I didn't think of it even once all day. Now, I come here and see you guys still bickering about it?<br /><br />please, Its not that I needed the gas, or even gave two craps about the $2, I thought that he should have offered, then I would have told him not to worry about it, but thank you anyway. <br />If I was him no question I would have offered to refill the tank, as should anyone in the same situation.<br /><br />Hey nate.<br />
Except I hope that no one is there to help you.
plus all the other insults........WTF did I ever say to do to you? Wife anoy you or something today, geeze, did I miss something here?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Blonde Execution"<br /> <br />Three women are about to be executed. One's a brunette,<br />one's a redhead, and one's a blonde.<br /> <br />The guard brings the brunette forward and the executioner<br />asks if she has any last requests. She says no and the<br />executioner shouts, "Ready!...Aim!! ..."<br /> <br />Suddenly the brunette yells, "EARTHQUAKE!!!" Everyone<br />is startled and looks around. She escapes.<br /> <br />The guard brings the redhead forward and the executioner<br />asks if she has any last requests. She say no and the<br />executioner shouts, "Ready! ... Aim!!..."<br /> <br />Suddenly the redhead yells, "TORNADO!!!" Everyone is<br />startled and looks around. She escapes.<br /> <br />By now the blonde has it all figured out. The guard brings<br />her forward and the executioner asks if she has any last<br />requests. She says no and the executioner shouts, Ready! ...<br />Aim!! ..."<br /> <br /><br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.and the blonde yells, "FIRE!!!" :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Blonde In The Circle"<br /> <br />One day a truck driver was driving down a highway when<br />he looked in his rear view mirror and saw a blonde in a<br />little blue car tailgating him. Well, this truck driver hated<br />to be tailgated, so he stops his truck and walks over to<br />the car, which had also stopped and said,<br /> <br />"Hey, lady, if you don't stop tailgating me, I'm going to<br />bust up your car."<br /> <br />So he gets back in truck and drives away.<br /> <br />A little while later he looks in his rearview mirror, and<br />sees the blonde tailgating him again. So he stops his<br />truck, gets out, and walks over to the car, saying,<br /> <br />"Hey lady, stop tailgating me, or I'll bust up your car."<br /> <br />So he gets back in his truck and drives away.<br /> <br />A little while later he again looks in his rearview mirror,<br />and once again the blonde is tailgating him. So he<br />stops his truck, walks over to the car, and says,<br /> <br />"Lady, get out."<br /> <br />So the blonde steps out of her car, and the truck driver<br />draws a circle on the roadside, saying,<br /> <br />"Now don't step out of that circle."<br /> <br />Then he proceeds to bust up the blonde's car. Smashing<br />the windshields and windows.<br /> <br />And the blonde starts laughing.<br /> <br />The truck driver rips out the seats, and busts all the tires.<br /> <br />And the blonde keeps laughing.<br /> <br />He takes a sledge hammer from his truck, and pounds in<br />the frame, rips out the steering wheel, cuts the brake lines,<br />etc, until the car is completely totaled.<br /> <br />And the blonde is still laughing.<br /> <br />The truck driver walks over to the blonde, and says, "Lady,<br />I just completely totaled your car, and you're still laughing.<br />What is so funny?????"<br /> <br />The blonde replies, giggling, <br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />"I stepped out the circle and<br />you didn't see me!!!!!!!!"

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I live across the street from a gas station. People have stopped in front of my house several times now. You guessed it. Most of them where out of gas. Only a couple had actually broke down. I loan them one of my tanks to walk across the street and get some gas.<br /><br />However, I will say that I have seen even worse incidents in front of my house. I live at the intersection of two very busy streets. One of these days I am going to install a web cam to catch all the accidents that happen there. Some of them have been fatal by the way.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

A while back some guy knocked on my door asking for gas money and some sob story about going to the hospital cause his parents were in a wreck. Promised to have it back the next day. I didnt believe a word he said. I gave him 10 bucks, he thanked me, and he was on his way. Never heard from him again. Never expected to hear from him again. Didnt bother me a bit.<br /><br />Once when filling up the gas tank on the boat, some guy asked for a couple of gallons of gas for his truck, no problem, pulled out the nozzel and filled up his two gallon can. He thanked me and was on his way.<br /><br />I have been in both these guys shoes before, and now that I can help out these people, I gladly do it.<br /><br />Ryan, you do have a point, and everyone should give him a break.<br /><br />Ken

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Even smart people make mistakes, Ryan.<br /><br />People who call them stupid morons might not be so smart.<br /><br />A mistake is stupid, but the people who make it are just ordinary folks like thee and me.<br /><br />I agree that the old guy should have offered to fill your tank, but that would have required manners. . .a forgotten art.
Making a mistake is not stupid. Making the same mistake, time and time again, expecting different results, is beyond stupid. It's idiocy. Only an idiot will perform the same actions repeatedly, expecting different results.<br />The guy putting a dash of gas into the tank time and time again, expecting it to act differently, is idiocy.<br />I agree with Ryan, the people were stupid.

SCO

Lieutenant

I have felt the way Ryan has before. You get a read on peoples lack of appreciation in a situation sometimes. We gotta trust his judgement. I also have done the same as the bad guy, and realized it later, too late to show the proper appreciation. Well, that was my fault, not the guy's to whom I did not show proper appreciation. MAybe the man will change Ryan's opinion if there is another encounter, but Ryan is not wrong to call a spade a spade. That's what we do here on iboats. ;)

NOSLEEP

Commander

Hey, this is still a troll.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Troll, that ugly thing we keep throwing food down to?

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know, I've helped people before, and have been helped. Personally, I'd feel like an idiot offering $2 to repay a service.<br /><br />A thank-you would be plenty enough reward for me for helping somebody, especially if it was as trivial as $2 in gas. Maybe it's just me, but likewise I would expect my own thank-you and gratitude to be enough reward for somebody else :confused: