Stupid people ran out of gas in front of my house.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Stupid people ran out of gas in front of my house.

Now, if it had been a carload of hotties I bet you wouldn't have been as tweaked. You would have probably not only given them gas, but helped push the car to the nearest gas station ;) <br /><br />The father was probably po'd at his daughter for running the car out of gas (you know how teenage girls are). I wouldn't have thought they were stupid, just kids being kids. I would have expected a more sincere thank-you from the father though. Don't let this bad experience take away from being a generous person...it all comes out in the wash.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Now, if it had been a carload of hotties I bet you wouldn't have been as tweaked. You would have probably not only given them gas, but helped push the car to the nearest gas station ;)
Yea gg, he would have been smoking the tires off the Crown Vic to get the bumpers to match. :D

oddjob

Commander

I still dont understand why they kept rolling back down the hill, the other pint would have gotten them over the hump if would have parked and fill............ Maybe those gals ran out of gas on purpose Ryan! ;) <br /><br />Thats the only thing that makes any sense here :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wilkin, at one point in my life I'd have offered thanks and a couple of bucks for the gas. Like Ryan, if on the other side I probably wouldn't have taken the money even if offered. <br /><br />But now that I'm older (& hopefully a bit wiser and more sensitive) I'd also have offered to refill the can. Not just because of the cost, but say Ryan might have needed to cut the lawn that day? I'd hate to cause someone helping me an extra trip to the gas station. <br /><br />Had a neighbor who needed a quart of oil for his mower. Gave him one I had in the basement and was surprised when he gave me a quart back the next time I saw him. Thought it was totally unnecessary (hey, I can afford 89 cents to help a neighbor!), but sure was pleased he did it next time I went to use the power washer, saw that it needed oil, and realized that I wouldn't have remembered to replace that spare quart I gave him in the first place!<br /><br />Just out of curiosity, what would have happened if instead of trying to drive up the hill with just a quart of gas in the tank, they had turned the car around and tried to go up the hill in reverse?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ryan, did he bring your gas can back to you empty? Now that would take some nerve!<br /><br />lakelivin hit the nail on the head - it's not the money, it's the time & trouble of having what you need when & where you need it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

lakelivin is talking about my old model a I have.<br />If you get low on gas, turn around and go backwards up the hill cause it is gravity fed and the line comes out the front of the tank.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe it's just my personal feelings. I've always thought that offering money as thanks was kind of "tacky", especially something as little as $2.<br /><br />If it were me personally in that situation, and somebody just gave me $2 worth of gas, my reciprocations would depend on the circumstances. If I was going to be coming back that way very soon, I would offer to take the gas can and bring it back full. But if I wasn't coming back that way for quite some time, I would offer a handshake and sincere thanks, and expect that to be enough.<br /><br />I would never offer $2 in cash as a thank-you.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Handing me $2 would have been tacky, but offeing to take the tank and re-fill it because they are going to get gas anyway is different.