Stupid people ran out of gas in front of my house.

11 footer

Lieutenant
This afternoon, I was in my driveway messing with the boat.<br /><br />Our house is on a hill, not a huge hill but its a pretty good size. We are toward he borrom of it.<br /><br />All the sudden I see a Taurus rolling backwards down the hill with the motor off and stop in front of my house. Around this time an older guy pulls up in another car and starts talking to the carload of very unattractive 16-17y/o girls in the Taurus. This guy is the girl who's driving dad.<br /><br />Turns out they are out of gas, he added one pint at there house so that would could make it to the gas station. They start the car, get to the hill, and the car dies, roll back down the hill and try again. After three times, I'm getting annoyed. I take my 5 gallon portable gas container and start walking toward them. <br /><br />I poor what was left in the container in the tank, maybe a gallon and a half. Into the tank, the father mumbles thanks to me, instructs for the girls to follow him and the gas station and drive away.<br /><br />How stupid can people be?<br />First of all, anyone who runs out of gas is a moron. Then they try, THREE TIMES to get up the hill, while his one pint of gas sloshes to the back of the tank and the car stalls, then I give them all the gas I have, they are going to the gas station and are going to drive right by me on the way home, and they didn't even offer to fill up my little gas tank? What's up with that?<br /><br />I wouldn't have taken him (the father) up on that offer, unless he insisted, but he should have thrown it out there. I would have.<br /><br />I thought it was arrogant, pissed me off.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Stupid people ran out of gas in front of my house.

So because of their rudeness, a helpful person like you could potentially be less likely to help the next guy in trouble...<br /><br />...and irony would probably have it that the next guy in trouble is a more considerate person...<br /><br />Rudeness (as well as kindness) can certainly have flow-on effects.<br /><br />Good on you for helping out. I would have been pissed off for the same reasons in the same situation.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even smart people make mistakes, Ryan.<br /><br />People who call them stupid morons might not be so smart.<br /><br />A mistake is stupid, but the people who make it are just ordinary folks like thee and me.<br /><br />I agree that the old guy should have offered to fill your tank, but that would have required manners. . .a forgotten art.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

We live on a State Route that seems to be heavily traveled by people that didn't quite make the Mensa cut.<br /><br />The road in front of our house has an extra wide berm and we have a large horse shoe driveway.....so it is a natural stopping place for those above mentioned mental giants.<br /><br />After enduring years of idiotic traveler problems (almost all self inflicted) we do what ever we can (our air hose will reach to the road and the floor jack is locked and loaded for fast tire changes, we keep tire plugging tools at the ready, always have plenty of gas on hand, jumper cables at the ready, give rides to work, etc, etc, etc) to get them the hell out of here.<br /><br />If we did not, they will need to use our phone (cause their pay as you go cell phone is outta minutes), **** and moan about their personal life, hang around forever while they wait for Billy Bob to come fetch them,etc, etc, etc.<br /><br />It's best to just help them scoot along.<br /><br />Only one out of 100 offers to pay anything.

Trent

Captain

I put out a house fire a couple of years ago with my fire ext. Those folks did not even offer to re-fill it! They were glad that I did what I did but...Hey It cost me money. (course that really dont matter cause I was glad that I could help)But the thought would have been great!

SpinnerBait_Nut

The old saying, "Help thy neighbor" comes to mind here.<br /><br />You might be in the same boat one of these days and then you can do the right thing.

tylerin

Commander

Ryan do you believe in Carma, I do. In my world you've got good carma coming your way and maybe those people don't. Don't worry about there's just worry about your own.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It could also be, that they had no money for gas. Sometimes, we have to try (like Kurt Bush trying to win the race,only to run outta fuel with 7 laps to go).<br />Stupidity may have had a limitted role, compared to having grocery money.<br />This may also explain his lack of offering re-embursement. If he didn't have it to give, he risks embarasment on top of the shame he probably feels right now. It aint easy being that broke (been there, done that).

NOSLEEP

Commander

Ya 12Footer,not every one has a silver spoon.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I believe in helping people when you can, but know a lady who lives just off a deserted stretch of I-10. After her husband died, she was afraid of all the people walking to her door at night asking for gas, car broke down,use the telephone, have flat, etc. It was almost an everyday thing. They had to climb a fence to get to her house so she put big signs on the fence that read: NO GAS, NO AIR, NO CAR PARTS, NO TELEPHONE. BEWARE OF LARGE DOGS RUNNING LOOSE. It worked.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by NOSLEEP:<br /> Ya 12Footer,not every one has a silver spoon.
Amen to that NOSLEEP

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

RIGHT ON with the silver spoon!!!!!!!<br /><br />I would like to tell you my story about unsolicited assistance.<br /><br />After being dragged into court by the ex I let my temper flare and blurted a snippy expletive to the judge.After my 60 days for contempt of court we finished our business and I was released.<br /><br />Well this is Friday of the first week of February at about 5 PM.It is snowing and about 25 degrees and dropping.I can start a job on Monday but I have 16 cents in my pocket,my car is at a friend's apartment five miles away and I can't stay there with them(his other half wouldn't have it)and the gas gauge is on E.<br /><br />So I get to the main road and stick out the thumb.After 10 minutes or so a guy picks me up and says "Tough day to be hitching".Something in my voice must have given him a clue that I needed more than a ride and coaxed me into telling my story.By the time we reached my turn off that road he offered to take me to my car.<br /><br />When we pulled in behind my car I thanked him profusely and started to get out.He said"Wait a minute" and took out his wallet and pulled out a $10 bill.I told him that it was not necessary but he said"You need this a lot more than I do because you can only go up from here and this is your start"and I agreed.He then insisted on following me to a gas station to be sure I made it there.<br /><br />After profusely thanking him again he said"Just help someone else sometime".Since that day I have done as he requested more times than I can count.<br /><br />That was 28 years ago.I thank God regularly for sending a thoughtful stranger to assist me at the very lowest point in my life.<br /><br />Thanks for listening.<br /><br />EDIT:Sorry!!!!!I didn'mean to hijack the thread.I just thought this might fit in.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I usually help people if I can, and I never expect compensation. If they do compensate, fine, and if they don't fine. I at least know I did my part, and it was rarely ever a big deal. If people just helped each other, society might just move along a bit more smoothly. It doesn't always have to be about the dollar, a thank you is fine with me...

woodrat

Ensign

yeah, if you're going to be helping people out, you might as well get un-attached from whether or not they compnesate you or even appreciate it.<br /><br />a couple of months ago I was out fishing in elliot bay and some guy in a fiberglass speedboat flags me down from a ways off. I kill the engine so I can hear him, and he wants a tow. Its the first day he's had his boat out this year and his battery is dead. So, I pull up the fishing gear and downriggers, stow everything away and go over to tow the guy. I hook him up, tow him a mile or so back to the dock, and not only does he not offer me any compensation for the time and fuel I just donated to his unprepared-to-be-out-on-the-water self, he barely says thanks or even waves after I drop him off at the dock.<br /><br />Still, I would gladly do it again, because it might be me the next time with a dead battery or something and needing a tow.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I help where and when I can. Off to another topic. I would like to say "Thank you" to all of you who have served in the military and coast guard (you know who you are)past and present for a job well done in preserving the freedom of this wonderful country.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />Now back to boating...

NathanY

Commander

Geez Ryan, someone runs out of gas in front of your house and you get pissed? Then you call them stupid? Man, if it werent for your daddy's money you would be in the same boat. I dont think that you are smart enough to prevent the same thing from happening. Except I hope that no one is there to help you. People like you that expect something for giving help to someone make me sick. Just in it for yourself. Is it wrong to just help someone and let it go? Or do you have to show that you are 15 and post it on a board so everyone will say how cool you are and that guy was wrong for not filling up your little gas tank. <br /><br />Grow up Ryan. If you gonna play up here with the big boys you need to atleast act like one.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ryan, Would you think Jerry Springer would have given you thanks and offer to pay for the gas? JK<br /><br />How are you gonna feel if that man comes back to your house with a can of gas or something?<br /><br />I live right on the Old Lincoln Highway. I too have helped many out. Some grateful and some not. I had one guy that blew a tire on his camper trailer and pulled into my yard. He left a nice big rut! Yes I was PO'd. Took my spare off my boat trailer which was bald. He said he would return it the next day. 4 weeks later he returned the spare with a new tire on it, plus had his landscaping crew repair my lawn. I didn't get mad about that. Did eat some words that I said.<br /><br />Take this with a grain of salt. The man may have been way down on his luck. (Especially with a teenage daughter)

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ryan Dude,<br />People come from all walks of life man....<br />The folks that ran out of gas probably dont have a pot to **** in. <br />Ya done a good thing by offering them gas, feel good in the deed you did.<br />Dont go thru life expecting to be repaid for the good deeds you do, just feel good that you offered and were able to help.<br />As some of these responses indicate, most folks who receive help dont offer to repay or in some cases dont even thank the helping party.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Geez Ryan,<br /><br />Don't take yourself so seriously. If this sets you off, then it may be possible that we will read about you spontainously combusting when someone cuts you off on the road. <br /><br />If you think this guy is stupid you have alot to experience. This is a rocket science compared to some things we all have seen, and based on their pathetic nature, offered to assist. A thank you is the minimum you deserved, but never lend a hand expecting anything. You will most often be disappointed, but once in a while you will be repaid in some way 100 fold. <br /><br />Lighten up, you will live longer, and happier. Whenever you expect something from people you will almost always be disappointed.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Luke 6:38<br />Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."