Stump proof hull

brownies

Chief Petty Officer
Thow me some ideas on what you would do to make a really strong hull.

Top cap off and floor out. 95 Stratos fiberglass bass boat. Boat has LOTS of dead glass under the water line. Stringers and Transom "suprisingly" good though.

Boat is used in a stump filled lake. Stays on and off stumps all day long. The worst is scraping rebar that has been driven into stumps in the past and rusted off at the water line. (worst possible scenario you can think of for a stump filled lake).

Plan on repairing the dead glass from the outside and adding several more layers on the inside. Weight shouldn't be a problem. (weight wasn't a problem last few years and I'm pretty sure the offset of adding layers of glass will be less than what the foam weighs now)

Anybody got any other ideas?

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Stump proof hull

Outside of making a steel hull.... adding glass is about the only thing u can do, i might however use something like a 3205 cloth for a quick buildup, if there is alot of shapes to contend with i might us a 3608 triax ( it bends much easier while still allowing a quick buildup. When i used to build a 34 footer we used to have a add on feature for it that was condsedered and ice breaker, it was applied to the bow stem part way down th keel and was about 15 -20 layers of the stuff

jcsercsa

Captain

Well you could make it bullet proof !! us composites has it
Kevlar 5oz
Style 285 or 5285
4 Harness Satin Weave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weight: 5osy
Weave: 4 Harness Satin
Tow: 1140
Thickness: .010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

38" Width
Cat No. Description Price
FG-KEV538 38" 5oz Kevlar
-1 or more yards- $16.50 / Running Yard
Same 10 or more yards $15.50 / Yard
Same 20 or more yards $14.50 / Yard

I really think that would do it !! John

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remember that the Titanic was iceberg proof . . .

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just currious.... How do you get a stump filled lake? Can the water level be raised 2 or 3 feet to clear most or all the stumps?

erikgreen

Captain

If you are seriously thinking about upgrading a boat to handle this, about the only economic thing I can recommend is hanging replaceable anti-puncture armor around the waterline... something like fiberglass covered wood, or even better aluminum pieces.

But it'll look funny. A SAFE boat would probably work, or a similar concept... the foam filled kevlar coated "inflatable" style boats would probably work, they're bullet proof too.

Or else get a hull that's made of hardened steel rather than mild steel, something like a 3/8" thickness would do it. Heavy though.

Erik

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rebar????
I'd consider a new lake

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think this is what you are looking for:

20071123ran8100087_003.JPG

:D

redfury

Commander

Oy, that's a scary picture...that rope breaks and that M113 is going straight to the bottom ( I know they float, but not if it fell into the water! )

Stump filled lake, it's called putting in a Dam on a river fed lake. Whitefish chain became the whitefish chain because of the Army Corp of Engineers building a dam and raising the water level. Nice patch of one lake that is just chock full of submerged stumps 2 feet below water.

Rebar in the stumps though?!

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get a Hovercraft.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Rebar????
I'd consider a new lake

this is the smartest thing to do.....

but if your serious......KEVELAR.....one layer with epoxy.....and some really cheap bottom paint.....(your gonna bang the paint all the time, so there is no point in a metal flake) that way you just touch up the impact spots.

bear in mind....the kevelar might "flex" on a good impact....that means the hull could be damaged under the kevelar outer layer.....so a good wrap.....at least 1708....but the thicker cloths would be advised....and use epoxy for this....not poly.....

but.......a tinny will be cheaper and less work.....

and a new lake...is still the best idea......you dont need to spend 15,000 (the price of a boat) on the fish in that lake

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Just currious.... How do you get a stump filled lake? Can the water level be raised 2 or 3 feet to clear most or all the stumps?

Just build a dam and don't cut any of the timber.
Years later, all the trees are rotted off at the water level.
Reconstruct the dam a few times over the course of 60 years. Different water level each time. (+ or - a ft or two each time).
Then, go in a drop it down to old creek channel level for about a year so people can repair their docks. Cut the stumps off 3ft below normal pool in the boating lanes. Re-fill the lake, but change your mind on what normal pool should be. (Tops of Stumps IN the boating lanes might now only be 2ft deep).
Let anybody that wants to yo-yo fish, drive repair "T"s on top of stumps. 20years later, those "T"s are rusted off near the surface.

One week this place looks like a battlefield of stumps and stickups everywhere.
The next week it might look like clear open water (that's when it's really a mess to navigate through).
Anybody wanna go tubing?

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

100+ crappie a day (1-2lbs) is not uncommon.
It will take 25-30lbs (5fish) to win a bass tournament here. Any time of the year.

The common practice now is to have two boats. One for this lake, and one for anywhere else.
The one for this lake gets flipped once a year and just "globbed" with glass. No regards to making the outcome resemble anything like a smooth boat hull.
Just whatever is quickest, cheapest, to float another year.

It's sort of a party if anybody wants to attent. One shop, four/five boats upside down, lotsa beer, football on the tube, snow outside, fire in the stove, chainsaw, wire mesh, grinders, glass, resin, buncha rednecks and....NO PAINT.

While this is somewhat of an event (an annual one)....I'd just as soon my boat not be there for the next few years.

Extra layers inside and kevlar layer on the outside?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Extra layers inside and kevlar layer on the outside?

yup....at least one layer of 1708....and kevelar on the out side.....epoxy...NOT poly....the kevelar as you know is bullet proof....it WILL take an impact........but if you do this.......

BEWARE>>>>>you are not bullit proof......if your on a high speed run and whack a stump.....chances are....the boat will live.....but youll be airborne.....just to be skewered by a big chunk of rebar sticking out of a stump.

id just grab a little 14 footer glass open hull boat, do the bottom as you want....and put as big motor on there as you are allowed

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

yup....at least one layer of 1708....and kevelar on the out side.....epoxy...NOT poly....the kevelar as you know is bullet proof....it WILL take an impact........but if you do this.......

BEWARE>>>>>you are not bullit proof......if your on a high speed run and whack a stump.....chances are....the boat will live.....but youll be airborne.....just to be skewered by a big chunk of rebar sticking out of a stump.

id just grab a little 14 footer glass open hull boat, do the bottom as you want....and put as big motor on there as you are allowed

What is 1708 ??

j_martin

Admiral

This Yankee went to Millwood one February many years ago to fish in February. Hired a guide, and in the course of conversation (after bouncing off'n many stumps, asked him about boat longevity and how he deals with it. The boat we were in was only about a year old.

He said he runs em about 2 years, or until they start to get a bit mushy, then Gel coats it, puts it in the front yard with a 4 sale sign on it, and lets some Yankee hold it.

I wouldn't even consider buying a boat near that lake.

John.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Lake Conway.
Conway makes Millwood look like Lake Powell.
I think I need an airboat.