Stumbled upon a project boat

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I am trying to plan the step after the next. The bow cover, I had holes in that welded shut I need to grind this off and i need a consistent finish and it can not be shiny. I originally thought about having it blasted, also have pondered using scotch brite to get a non gloss finish. Would etching with acid work?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I shot the first coat of primer yesterday it looks good all one color. I did notice when getting the boat out in the sun I am not done buffing though.:facepalm:

oldrem

Commander
I am trying to plan the step after the next. The bow cover, I had holes in that welded shut I need to grind this off and i need a consistent finish and it can not be shiny. I originally thought about having it blasted, also have pondered using scotch brite to get a non gloss finish. Would etching with acid work?

I'd stay away from acid etching on old aluminum. The Scotch pads are going to leave light scratching. The blasting would probably give you the most uniform finish.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well the inside is painted looks good, next step will be the transom and bucking rivets unfortunately it will have to wait going to be traveling the next 3 weeks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
$11 is a great price for a nice piece of oak.

got pix?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I will Friday night I picked up the wood on the way to the airport and was running behind schedule.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Took advantage of some downtime today and got all the stuff needed to buck rivets for the bow eye and corner handles, have all the wood needed for the transom. Progress will be made once I get the time to work on the boat.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The rivets aren in waiting for me at home bought 1/4" by 3/8" hope they fit I can always drill bigger.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Hope to get the transom pieces in place this week, still have to buff up the corner handles before I rivet them in.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I tried to find 10/24 x 2.5 aluminum screws just not happening going to go with stainless hardware to complete the transom. Still waiting on materials but getting closer to rapid progress.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Finally got the transom wood on the inside took some cursing but the wood was not scratched. Hardware arrives tomorrow and have to clamp the top rail in place and figure out how I am going to match the inner and outer wood and hit the holes in the transom bracket.

Attachments

• photo292165.jpg
    photo292165.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0