Stumbled upon a project boat

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well Wednesday is the day I pick the donor boat over in east central Wisconsin exciting times because the real progress can begin. Hope the guy isn't upset when I show up with no boat trailer and a saws all. I am also going to be dropping off the motor for the boat at a guy that does amazing work on old motors. He will rebuild the carbs and mag tower all new fuel lines and it will be set up and tuned by a pro.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Picked the boat up so excited got the corner handles I desperately needed. I got a bonus bow eye, transom hardware. and a pattern for the transom wood. Got the boat cut up into 4 pieces heaped in the back of the pick up.

Ned L

Commander
Really looking forward to seeing some pictures!!!! :D

A note on any sand blasting, ....... you probably want to keep the pressure really low, as sand blasting is like tiny hits from thousands and thousands of little ball peen hammers and can really make sheet metal warp, bend and distort.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I will be posting up pics once things are interesting. Copy on the low pressure that is what I planed.

oldrem

Commander
Ever consider soda blasting? Much less abrasive and easier to control.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I had a welder fill in every hole in the boat after grinding I want the same texture on the bow cover a low pressure sand blast with give me that soda blasting is not aggressive enough. Plus I own a sand blasting pot not a soda pot.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Have not blasted yet, waiting for some warmer weather.

I don't think you want to sand blast it.

There has to be a more gentle medium for blasting aluminum,

a fiend of mine was mentioned using ground corn husk because it was gentler,...I'd
ask a professional to see whats out there.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I realized something today while looking out a window on the plane, I was pondering what I wanted to do for seat backs in the boat. It dawned on me I have old weathered mahogany from an old starcraft that I have already sanded and resealed, it is weathered and has a great look. Can't wait to get home and see if I can make it fit, it will look awesome in the boat. The seats with have canvas seat cushions with bare wood backrests. Pics will be posted soon.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I finished cutting up the donor boat last night and hauled it in to the scrap yard this morning I got $66 for the boat. I paid $150 for it so the two corner handles and the bow eye only cost me a little under $90 not a bad deal really.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I should have enough progress in the next couple of weeks to justify taking some pictures, once I get the inside of the boat shot progress will move to fast forward.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I am really regretting committing to have the boat buffed and bright, I have been going to town block wet sanding with 2000 grit I still have marks from grinding off the welds very frustrating.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I got one side done sore arms and many beers later I am almost half done.

Attachments

• photo288508.jpg
    photo288508.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0

DeepCMark58A

Commander
So time is of the essence I am at a slight lull in my travel schedule so I will not have to leave again till the 25th. I planned on bringing the boat into town to the carwash to vacuum and wash the boat out before I paint. With the current 12" of snow and all the salt that goes on the road with that I really don't want to pull the newly buffed boat down the road. I am pondering just using the shop vac at home and do a solvent wipe down before I prime it.

Lessons learned from doing the first side. I had all the holes in the boat tig welded shut I had to grind those welds flush. I did a 4 step process and wet sanded with 2000 grit and I could not get rid of the fine scratches. It was very frustrating I did online research and nobody mentioned about wet sanding with fine grits I said the heck with it and started buffing, yeah those scratches quickly buffed away. I also learned do not apply more buffing compound that you will buff off in that session. If you leave the compound on for 12-18 hours it makes it harder to buff off.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get a 6" buffing wheel for a grinder and chuck it up into a 4.5" grinder without the guard. a few times with the right rouge and you can get that mirror polished.

I wouldnt take the boat out. you should do a scuff/solvent wipe immediately prior to first prime

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Yeah I had the 6" buffing pad in a cordless after going thru two cycles of recharging the 3 batteries I realized I needed to change the tool I was using I chucked it up in a drill with a cord, the wheel and the grinder is what I need.

Is waxing the aluminum going to help retain the finish? I have used cleaners before that had a sealer in it like semichrome, is that better than a wax?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Scott took your advice and I borrowed the big Milwaukee grinder from work dropped the guard and put a buffing wheel on that bad boy. I rebuffed the one side in a quarter of the time it took before, when in doubt add hp. My arms are killing me holding that beast and buffing but the boat is looking good.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Finally the weather will break, looks like it will be warm enough to wheel the boat outside and prime it and bring it back in to dry. Finally some pictures worth sharing.