Stuck Oil Filter Nightmare!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would have welded up a tool for that effort in a heart beat if I were faced with it. Done that before and will again. :thumb:

agreed, a cheap socket, and weld on 3-5 small pieces of round stock (or bolts with the heads cut off).

thumpar

Admiral
Whatever gets it off I would for sure be getting a remote kit. That is way more access than I have and can't imagine not having one.

Volphin

Lieutenant
No Title

Custom tool time.

Attachments

• photo235113.jpg
    photo235113.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 0

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How about applying a little local heat from a heat gun? Melt that stuck rubber gasket.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As others said Id buy another of the same filter and fab up a tool to get it off. Before doing so Id try using an oil can to get oil in those holes to lube that gasket a bit. Remove that ex manifold if you need to to get access. Never in 43 years of changing oil have I ever seen anything like that....

JustJason

Vice Admiral
You are not trying to turn it in the direction your arrows are pointing are you?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JustJason. If you want to remove that leftover piece of oil filter, yes, he needs to turn it like the arrows are showing in post #63. That is the typical lefty loosy, righty tighty system. So turning the remaining part counter-clockwise (as the arrows show) is the only way for that to be removed. JMHO!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
You are not trying to turn it in the direction your arrows are pointing are you?

I would hope that is the direction he is turning, no point in putting that filter on any tighter!

So OP, although I think welding a tool together is the best option, if you don't trust your welding, there is another option. Find a BIG socket (farm supply store) that will line up with the pattern of holes. Lock it up in a bench vice, and go to town with an angle grinder. By the time you are done you should have pins that fit into those holes. Also, you can see if you can get some liquid wrench in there via the spray tube, might soften up the gasket some.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
How about applying a little local heat from a heat gun? Melt that stuck rubber gasket.

It's not the gasket that is "stuck" now. The filter gasket channel is screwed on so tight now that it's "metal-to-metal"

The rubber gasket is essentially out of the picture.

It's either going to take a fabricated "pin-tool" or a chisel. (pounding in the correct direction of course!)

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
image_235410.jpg
This adjustable pin wrench is $4.99 in Harbor Fright. Take a brand new filter identical to the one you have currently on and see if you can find one whose pins aligns with the holes on the upper plate. If you cant, buy two and, remove the short leg feom both, cut the long keg of one of them so it fits the holes on the filter and bolt it or weld it to the other uncut long leg.

Remove the riser if equipped and the elbow. If you still cant reach, remove the exhaust manifold.

turn this thing into the right direction you may want to have it with a hammer the most important thing is to do that in the right direction if you are looking at it from the top this will be clockwise direction the only position that you will be turning counterclockwise is if you are actually looking at it from the bottom which you can not do unless the engine is removed so again if you are looking at it from the top you will need to turn it clockwise. Good luck

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bruceb and DeepBLue, you both have the right idea. But it would seem he has limited space and therefore a pin type setup that can use a 1/2" (3/8" would also work) extension and ratchet would be the best of all worlds. However, I can't believe he hasn't actually fixed this by now. I just wish the OP would report back and let us know. JMHO

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
You are right, I noticed that we are more active than he is in his own thread. Hopefully he got it done

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The OP either got the remnants of the filter off or he's still struggling or the boat is mothballed 'til Spring. In any case we gave all that we can give unless he comes back. Then we will tell him to read the whole thread, the answer is there. ;)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM YEARS AGO !!! I knew an old time Polish mechanic that laughed at me when I told him I couldn't get it off.and said "I'll get it off for $20 bucks" . He use a small punch and a hammer and tapped the punch in one of the holes to move it counter clockwise.He missed 3 times and hit it once. missed 4 times and hit it once,and so on and so on.Gave up for the day after an hour and said he will try again tomorrow.It was painful to watch him basically upside down from the waist up trying to hit the punch square.He came back the next day and and kept at it..missing 3 times and hitting once.After another hour and some bloody knuckles he finally got it off.He stood up with the filter base on his pinkie and said" That piece of metal not going to beat me" Thanks god for "old school" and a hard headed Pollock.Outside of pulling the motor,THERE WAS NO OTHER WAY TO DO IT.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Sure was!! This was a long time ago but i think I actually gave him more than he first asked for.Charlie

I have had success in the past when oil filter cannot be loosened by applying pressure to handle on oil filter wrench and shiming against engine mount stringer with a piece of wood and leaving this in place for an hour or more and it very slowly will break loose enough that you can continue .The secret is that initial very slight movement of the rubber oil ring.It works every time.In you case you may not be able to get enough purchase on the metal base plate.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
the key to this is not a secret.PUT THE FILTER ON THE RIGHT WAY .HAND TIGHTEN WITH GREASE/OIL ON BOTH SURFACES.I have been very overcautious since that incident.I have used grease on both surfaces and in the threads.Contrary to what many say about grease/petroluem coatings on rubber as far as deteriorating ,it does not happen to these types of rubber.never even close to an issue since then over 20 years ago.Charlie