Stuck Oil Filter Nightmare!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Reading the instructions on every filter helps. Either a 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 turn by hand after the gasket starts to seat. Never had a leak or trouble removing one I installed by following the instructions.

Alumarine

Captain
Reading the instructions on every filter helps. Either a 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 turn by hand after the gasket starts to seat. Never had a leak or trouble removing one I installed by following the instructions.

This.
I put them on by hand and remove them by hand.
Never need a wrench and I'm not that strong.
I put grip tape on them before I install them if they don't have it already.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Does the thread have a hexagonal key which you can turn with a key if you can see it once the can is mostly Already destroyed.if so may loosen the can enough to get what's left off or some wood with a few bolts which have same pitch as a couple of the holes.make surely pitch in the new filter.A mirror and a bright light may be of benefit as space is limited.A remote filter set up eases this conundrum permanently once fitted.

tpenfield

Staff member
This thread reminds me that I plan on changing the fuel filters on my engines next spring. Similar to the oil filters, they will probably put up quite a fight.

FWIW - when trying to remove these 'can' style filters, I try to get the oil filter wrench (band wrench) as close to the base plate and contact point as possible, because that is the strongest point of the filter to resist the crushing action of the band wrench. Once the filter begins to crush it is like a set of dominos.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've been changing oil for many years (since '72) but never had to revert to doing this to an oil filter. I would take a good look at the holes in the base and try to fab up a wrench to fit in them (short bolts to fit in the holes) and turn it off the right way. Be careful not to knick up the sealing surface on the block. Future reference always clean the mounting base and liberally oil the filter gasket. I have a collection of cap wrenches to fit all the filters I use and they work much better for removing filters.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Lou has the right idea. Many years ago I ran into the situation on a customer vehicle where the owner had butchered the filter canister. I made a tool out of flat bar stock and drilled two holes with the same spacing as the holes in the top of the filter. I installed two bolts and the filter was off in a minute. Buy the new filter and then look at the top. Make the tool using measurements from the new filter. You may never use the tool again but perhaps you could charge your neighbor to remove his filter.

Bondo

Staff member
Buy the new filter and then look at the top. Make the tool using measurements from the new filter.

Ayuh,.... Only if it's the same manufacturer, 'n part number,.....

Even then, I'd check, 'n verify with the junk piece on the motor,.....

Btw,.... I've got tool boxes fulla of made tools that are waitin' to be used again,...... :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And if you're tryin to use the old school band wrench instead of a cap wrench here's a trick I came up with about 30 years ago...take a piece of medium sandpaper, fold in half so the rough side is facing out on both sides . Now slip the sand paper between the filter can and the strap wrench. The sandpaper will keep the band from slipping. This trick also works on water separating filters......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use a filter tool like this one:
motion-pro_mp08-069.jpg

If the filter is particularly stubborn, you can put lengths of steel between the filter and the strap the length of the filter to keep the filter from crushing.

This is another filter tool I own and use:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR4Q8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
I like it way better than cap filters.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
All the information and tools mentioned here sound like lots of people have experienced this problem before. One thing overlooked for many of the tools is the limited access. Is it possible to get a socket ratchet wrench to the filter remains? if so, you could make some kind of spanner with a nut welded on to use a wrench. The limited space is the biggest problem. I've heard of some people driving a screw driver through the filter to get it to turn but that is a little late for this one. I say some kind of spanner would be the best choice now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I read most of the comments on this problem. And it seem your only remaining option now is to make a tool to remove the remaining flange metal. Maybe an old socket for a 1/2" drive with at least two bolts welded on that fits the hole openings. Three would be even better. Then use a 1/2" breaker bar to remove the flange.

Obviously the person that installed it didn't read the filter instructions. You are suppose to hand tighten and then a mere 1/4 turn. While that seems like it is loose, in reality, it is very tight. Anymore and you will be using home-made tools to get the remaining parts off. When you think about turning on a typical oil filter, you are using a very large diameter filter to install. That translates to using a pretty good amount of torque on it. There is no way for it to work loose and fall off. JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I read most of the comments on this problem. And it seem your only remaining option now is to make a tool to remove the remaining flange metal. Maybe an old socket for a 1/2" drive with at least two bolts welded on that fits the hole openings. Three would be even better. Then use a 1/2" breaker bar to remove the flange.
That's exactly what I would do. I weld up my own tools all the time. It's nice having a TIG, MIG and a plasma cutter around!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's exactly what I would do. I weld up my own tools all the time. It's nice having a TIG, MIG and a plasma cutter around!

I wish I could convince myself to purchase a TIG system. But I am a hobbyist and just can't justify the cost. However, until I bought a MIG welder setup, I didn't know how much I would use it. Not a week goes by that I don't weld up some type unique thing. In fact I just had a refill on the Argon/CO2 bottle this week. And I have to say, my welds joints are seriously looking good these days! I guess practice does make perfect. :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are two things in life where penetration and preparation are important.......one is welding.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Perfect practice makes perfect.

My TIG welder is 220V and my MIG is only 110V. The TIG get used on anything greater than 18/" thick. Not enough penetration with the 110V MIG.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:focus: I have to ask, did you get the remaining oil filter part off? :noidea:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Obviously the person that installed it didn't read the filter instructions. You are suppose to hand tighten and then a mere 1/4 turn. While that seems like it is loose, in reality, it is very tight. Anymore and you will be using home-made tools to get the remaining parts off. When you think about turning on a typical oil filter, you are using a very large diameter filter to install. That translates to using a pretty good amount of torque on it. There is no way for it to work loose and fall off. JMHO!

Not so much the size, but the fact that the rubber gasket swells a little bit when it absorbs oil. So if you tried backing it off immediately after putting it on, it will easily spin off. Now let the oil filter sit on the engine for a season, and the gasket is significantly larger than before. That translates to an oil filter that is much tighter.