Stuck Oil Filter Nightmare!

This is day 4 of trying to remove the oil filter from my 2000 5.7 alpha. The guy who owned it before me must of not greased the seal on the filter and it won't come off. I've tried everything, now I destroyed the can to the point of no return so I cut it off with tin snips and all that's left is the metal part that screws into the block with the little holes on it. How do I get this thing out!? It's in a very tight spot too, is there any tool you guys know of or any of you ever come across this situation... all advice is welcome.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
screw driver and a ball-peen hammer. put the end of the screw driver in one of the holes, use the ball-peen to tap the end of the screw driver, driving the remnants of your oil filter. however if all thats left is the stamped flange, bend it down, grab with a vice grips.

thumpar

Admiral
Scott's ideas are all I can think of other than cutting it. You might consider a remote kit install while you are in there.

I haven't been able to do the hammer and screw driver method because of the placement of the filter, I have no angle to get the screw driver in the correct direction and no room to even be able to tap a hammer.

Thumpar,
What is this remote kit you speak of and where could I find one? Whatever keeps me from going though this again...

tpenfield

Staff member
Wow, got any pictures to share?

It seems that each time I remove the oil filters on my engines, it is not certain if the oil filter wrench or the oil filter itself is going to 'win'.. It might be something common to marine applications.

What I can think of based on your description of the situation is that you have cut the 'can' part off, but the contact base and center spline of the filter remain. (right?)

Probably you will find that the contact surface (rubber gasket ring) will have a tighter grip than what you can over come by trying to turn the center 'spindle' . There are some holes in the base plate of the filter and you could use a hefty needle nose plyer to get a grip into those while using a large wrench to turn the needle nose.

counter-clockwise to loosen (right?)

Last edited:
The way you described it is exactly correct. All that's left is the base with the holes. I tried the needle nose pliers, they just kept slipping out. Honestly, now that you mention it, I may of been turning it the wrong way, I was going counter clock wise if you were looking down on it, wouldn't it be counter clockwise when looking up at the filter?
Either way, it didn't budge at all, even if i was turning it the wrong way to begin with wouldn't it of budged just a little...

Oh and while I'm at it, is it "OK" to leave the engine sitting without oil in it? If I do put oil in, is it going to drain out where the oil filter was since I don't have one in?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looking down from the top, it's clockwise. If the filter was over tightened as many are, it probably wouldn't budge counter-clockwise from the top,

You could try with a screwdriver or chisel on the flange and a hammer. Clockwise! if it moves a little, you're home free.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You can add the new oil if you want, but it won't make much difference, The insides are oil coated and the oil won't come out unless you try to start it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It's crunch time. What's in the way of your being able to get some tools and leverage into that space? Hoses, battery, water heater, what? Time to start pulling stuff out of the boat.

If I understand you correctly and all that's left is the filter flange, (I think) you need to force a small screwdriver blade between the edge of the flange and the oil pump base, and bend a piece of the flange downward so you can grab it with a needle nose plier. Hopefully you'll be able to turn it a tiny bit. Repeat until you finally spin it off. Only thing I can think of.

As already mentioned, make sure you're turning it counter-clockwise (looking at the filter from the bottom up). That would be clockwise when you're looking at it from the top down.

My .02

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What is this remote kit you speak of and where could I find one? Whatever keeps me from going though this again...

The kit contains a block-off plate that goes where the current oil filter is now. Two hoses run from there to a fitting that can be mounted in a (more) convenient spot. The oil filter spins on to that fitting. Both my engines are fitted with them and the difference in time and effort to change the filter is like night and day. Googfle 'Mercruiser remote oil filter kit'

My .02

Alumarine

Captain
A pair of large snap ring pliers, the kind with 90 degree ends, might fit in the holes and allow you to turn it.

boatman37

Lieutenant
like GA Boater said, you're turning the wrong way. looking down from above you want to turn it clockwise

Bondo

Staff member
A pair of large snap ring pliers, the kind with 90 degree ends, might fit in the holes and allow you to turn it.

Ayuh,.... or maybe build a pin wrench outa a piece of flat stock, 'n a couple of short bolts, 'n nuts,...

'n turn it the right way,....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

Spanner wrench should do the trick.

Attachments

• photo234322.jpg
    photo234322.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my 2005 rinker 350mpi with the remote did the same thing the first year I owned it. took about 1 1/2 hrs. to get it off, now I do it every season so it's not bad. I read where the engine vibration is the main reason for a SUPER tight oil filter, as the engine runs it sets up vibration which turns the filter slightly, tightening it up. only way around this is to oil the filter seal and change it out yearly.

philipp10

Seaman
How irritating this must be. I have a 2013 Accord and on the first change, same thing. Took it to a shop and let them do the change. For you, I would try and make a spanner wrench with a plate and a couple bolts. Another thought, can you hear the flange with a torch? It might melt the seal. Then get a remote filter kit.

philipp10

Seaman
my 2005 rinker 350mpi with the remote did the same thing the first year I owned it. took about 1 1/2 hrs. to get it off, now I do it every season so it's not bad. I read where the engine vibration is the main reason for a SUPER tight oil filter, as the engine runs it sets up vibration which turns the filter slightly, tightening it up. only way around this is to oil the filter seal and change it out yearly.

Interesting, sounds like you would need a filter lock to stop it from over-tightening.