Stringer question

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will be doing stringer replacements on my 1990 sea ray sundancer. I’m leaning towards doing the transom pourable compound. I guess my question to you guys is will it be ok if I cut the top off of them & dig out all the wet wood & put a small piece of wood, like a 2 foot piece, and the pour the mixture around that? The reason I need the piece of wood is because my motor mounts attach to the sides of the stringers. Give me your thoughts on this.

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will be doing stringer replacements on my 1990 sea ray sundancer. I’m leaning towards doing the transom pourable compound. I guess my question to you guys is will it be ok if I cut the top off of them & dig out all the wet wood & put a small piece of wood, like a 2 foot piece, and the pour the mixture around that? The reason I need the piece of wood is because my motor mounts attach to the sides of the stringers. Give me your thoughts on this.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Ask yourself why the factory made them as long as they are.
hull support .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the motor mount stringers are wet, the transom would be wet too. you may want to make some test drills

tpenfield

Staff member
I'm not sure you will be able to 'dig out' all of the rotted/wet wood in the fashion that you are thinking. So, a pourable solution may not work in this case.

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure you will be able to 'dig out' all of the rotted/wet wood in the fashion that you are thinking. So, a pourable solution may not work in this case.
Well the company says you don’t have to get every little piece out so I was going to get as much as I can and just poured around in that way it will encapsulate the pieces that are left behind