Stringer Problem 1977 Glastron tri-hull T179

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi

My tri-hull I/O doesn't drain water very well.

The water stays trapped in the stringers and doesn't drain to the bilge area.

I tried drinning a hole in one of the stringers near the front of the engine and yep, right through the bottom of the boat. althought that drained the water, I had to patch it with Marine Tex.

Has anyone else had this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Stringer Problem 1977 Glastron tri-hull T179

yep glastron didn't put any drainage back then !! I just finished a 1977 glastron sportster last spring !! well all most finished !! [ pic of work so far ] is my thread , and i was complaining about this on my first page !! think RedFury was saying the same thing in his !!

There's only one fix for it !! when she rotts out and you have to redo her put some in !! I sure did !! John

Yep, I replaced the stringers and deck in my 1977 Sportster last winter. It's not a difficult job, but time consuming.

I've been where you are . I bought a boat that looked really nice and was told was in excelent condition. Before ever getting it in the water I spent $2000 to have the motor completely overhauled. The motor is a 1967 Evinrude Starflite 80. Runs like a champ now . After a few fishing trips on the lakes around here I noticed an ever worsening crunching sound under foot in 2 areas of the deck. The boat is a 1977 Glastron Sportster, 16'. I pulled up the carpet in those areas expecting to replace a little plywood and be done with it. WRONG. The plywood was so rotten I could just rip out chunks with my hands. My mechanic told me to replace the deck and stringers. Never tackled a job anything like this before, but at this point I was commited. I cut out the fiberglass all around the inside perimeter with pnuematic cutting tool and removed all plywood. I left the old stringers in place (1 down the keel, 1 on either side 1/2 way between keel and side of hull) as they weren't totally rotted out. The original stringers were pine, and plywood deck was 1/2" plywood. I bought red oak to make new stringers and 3/4" marine grade plywood for new deck. After cutting and shaping stringers to fit in place I treated all the new wood to waterproof it before installation. Mixed fiberglass resin, then diluted it 50% with acetone to allow it to penetrate into the new wood, and treated the old stringers as well .I applied 4 coats to completely seal and coat wood. Pulled out all the old open cell foam from the hull (it was all waterlogged and weighed a ton ), bought twice as much new foam, closed cell to prevent waterlogging. Installed the foam, and bolted new stringers to old ones, sandwiching the old ones with new on either side, Useing stainless steel bolts. Screwed down new decking with brass screws. Applied new fiberglass cloth and resin to seal down new deck and form it to the hull. Bought new high quality outdoor carpeting and glued it to the new deck, using a roller to get it smooth and even. Then installed new high end pedestal seats fron Cabela's to replace the original back to back lounge seats. Since then I have also added a new bimini top, Minkota Edge 50# thrust trolling motor, marine band radio, Serius satellite radio, Eagle 320c depth/fish finder, compass, submersible fishing lights, dual batteries on a 1/both/off switch, fishing rod storage tubes for 8 rods, motorcycle headlights for night time operation, interior cabin lights on both sides of boat, and a solar battery charger to keep batteries full charged at all times. I did all the work myself (except the motor overhaul ) over a period of about 5 months last winter. I love the end result . I get constant compliments on the boat , it looks brand new , and runs like it too. It was a lot of work, but for me it was well worth it. Don't hesitate to ask me for any advise or help you would need should you decide to rebuild your "good bones" boat. Happy fishing.

I'd love to show you pictures, but this forum won't accept my files.
BTW, Old & In the Way, are you a Garcia & company bluegrass fan?

Allen

~N.A.F.C.~B.A.S.S.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~A.M.A.~

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not ready to redo the stringers, just want to get a couple of years of fishing and crabbing out of her.

Yep, I like the Dead. When I lived in Petaluma CA, **** Latvala bought my house (aka ****'s Picks).

Thanks again.

Ed