Sterndrive Hinge Pins Question

dlowdog9

Cadet
A few weeks ago I had a trim sender wire break on me. I did my research and bought a new set of sensors and pulled the drive to do the change the way the manual says. The bushings for the trim rams were shot and the hinge pins are a twist from stripping, so i ordered new parts before putting it all back together.
My question is about Loctite and the hinge pins. The service manual calls to use primer T on the threads before using 271 red thread locker. How necessary is the primer in this application? I like to follow the manual to a T, but the primer seems expensive and hard to find and I want to get the project done in the morning. Can anyone give me info on what they do/done, and any info if it makes a difference or not.
The boat is a 2004 Sea Ray 185 Sport with a 4.3 Merc and a Alpha 1 Gen 2

Thanks for any info!!

Derek

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I don’t use the primer. A quick blast with brakleen or carb cleaner will knock the oil off the threads. A small wire brush to remove any remaining thread locker or gunk. That’s really all your doing, cleaning and degreasing. I use red, blue, and purple loctite at work all the time and never used the primer.

dlowdog9

Cadet
I don’t use the primer. A quick blast with brakleen or carb cleaner will knock the oil off the threads. A small wire brush to remove any remaining thread locker or gunk. That’s really all your doing, cleaning and degreasing. I use red, blue, and purple loctite at work all the time and never used the primer.
Thanks, i just brushed it out with an old gun cleaning brush and hit it with brake cleaner. Used red loctite

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stripped both hinge pin threads out this season. The helicoil kit worked great incase yours do strip out.

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You need a 41/64 drill bit and the 5/8-18 helicoil kit or the permacoil kit #1208-210

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Please don't use to much red locktite a tiny drop goes a long way. I've had some come in that any amount of heat could not remove without damaging the paint on the ring itself.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Please don't use to much red locktite a tiny drop goes a long way. I've had some come in that any amount of heat could not remove without damaging the paint on the ring itself.
Very true. A little red goes a long way. Heat is really the only thing that will soften it. Good tip.