steering problems

rbrau

Cadet
I hung a 98 merc 150 on my boat recently. After hooking up the steering cables and linkages I noticed that when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left the engine turns more then if I turn it all the way to the right. I had a evenrude 150 on it before but dont remember if was the same. I never had a problem steering with the evenrude. I havent tried the Merc on the water yet. Is it normal for the engine to turn more to one side then the other or should it be the same? Thanks...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: steering problems

you have to change the link are from the cable to the motor. make sure it is for a 98 merc 150. different motors use different link arms.

rbrau

Cadet

you have to change the link are from the cable to the motor. make sure it is for a 98 merc 150. different motors use different link arms.

I'm gonna check into that tomorrow. I used the link that came with the Merc, guess I gotta make sure it's the right one...thanks...

j_martin

Admiral

I hung a 98 merc 150 on my boat recently. After hooking up the steering cables and linkages I noticed that when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left the engine turns more then if I turn it all the way to the right. I had a evenrude 150 on it before but dont remember if was the same. I never had a problem steering with the evenrude. I havent tried the Merc on the water yet. Is it normal for the engine to turn more to one side then the other or should it be the same? Thanks...

I bought a boat with that problem. It was an old morse dual rack, and one of the racks was out of clock.

Also, the reason there's a nut on each end of the steering tubes is to adjust the center point of steering.

BTW, dual rack is the minimum safe steering on that engine.

hope it helps
John