New guy looking for help

jfinley

Recruit
I need some help on an 18HP Evinrude 1957 Fastwin. I will start out with an intro though. (Skip down to the bottom if you do not want to hear a story :) )<br /><br />I am new to this web site but have already been overwhelmed with the information I have gotten just by doing some searches. I belong to a fishing website in the Northwest and it is tradition that for a fist post, you have to tell a memorable story. This is mine, it happened to me today:<br /><br />I am a newlywed and we just bought our first boat and motor. I got the boat and motor for very cheap but with little information and history. I was expecting to have to do some work on it, and it turns out I was right. I took apart the lower end and checked the water pump, seals etc. I got it all put back together and my wife and I took it out this morning. Got it running and it sounded great and was running well. I got about 1/2 mile form the launch and it started to sound funny. I could tell that it was starting to overheat, so I killed it. No joke-as soon as I killed the motor, a downpour started! I felt like we were in a movie and this was a practical joke. Anyway, we (mostly myself) rowed back to the dock and were completley drinched. As soon as we got to the dock, the rain stopped! Just my luck. <br /><br />Now to my question: There is a thin metal plate that the impeller sits on in the water pump. The plate in my motor is bent and "oil canning". I cannot flatten it out. I need to replace it. I am hoping that someone might have an extra one that they could sell me. If I cannot find one, I will just buy a water pump kit. Thanks a ton for any help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: New guy looking for help

Welcome aboard fishingcoug. Wonder how many times the same thing happens to other boaters.<br /><br />First, soliciting to buy and sell here on the forums is forbidden. Yeah, I know it's such a small item but rules are rules. <br /><br />HOWEVER...we can put you onto a place that may be able to help. If ya' can't find it there, let us know and we'll see what we can do to help. Hang on....gotta get the link.<br /><br /> http://www.twincityoutboards.com/ <br /><br />If it were me, and I could get it, I would replace the whole pump assembly. And I ain't real sure about this, but does the engine have a t-stat? If so, replace it also. It would be just above the head.<br /><br />Keep us posted.....thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Heck, that part's called the wear plate and you can just replace it cheap. Part number 18-3377 from Iboats or NAPA autoparts. And you get the impeller you need to replace with it. Click here. <br />Your local Bombardier dealer will have something similair, but the part number will be different.<br /><br />Nice thing about these older OMC outboards is that they were so popular parts are still mostly easy to get and inexpensive. <br /><br />Oh, and welcome to Iboats. :) <br /><br />OBJ's got a good point on the thermostat. But the 18hp didn't get one until 1959. Check to be sure you've got your year right though.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Shows ya' what I know! :D Thanks Paul....I gotta git into the iboats store more often. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Fishingcoug:<br /><br /> Welcome to Iboats, there are a few of us Pacific Northwesterners here on the forums. Sorry you have to live up by Portland though, I live over on the coast by NorthBend, CoosBay. You are where the jobs are though, My son lives and works up there and works for Intel.

jfinley

Recruit

Thanks for the help guys, sorry about the whole soliciting thing...gotta keep us new guys in line huh. :) I will check on pricing a new wear plate. OBJ, I have a little voice in my head that agrees with you about replacing the whole pump, but it looks like it is in real good shape (kinda like someone before me replaced it recently). I will probably end up putting a new wear plate in, trying it and it won't work. Then I will replace the whole pump and it will work like new. :) I've heard I am a little stubborn. Paul, thanks a ton for the link. That is exactly what I was looking for! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again