1957 evinrude bigtwin 35

a while back i posted about my transmission not going forward or reverse, well i got a diagram and tore it down, the shifter clutch assembly was frozen on the shaft, i dont think the guy i got the boat from ever changed the oil?, i cleaned everything up freed up the part and got it all together, well now i have forward and reverse but no neutral, any suggestions?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1957 evinrude bigtwin 35

Good to hear you've got it freed up.<br />What happens when the gear lever is in the neutral position? Afterall, neutral is just when the clutch dog is between the forward and reverse engagement.<br /><br />If you're just seeing the prop spin a bit in neutral out of the water, that would be normal. There's not enough force behind it to propel your boat.<br /><br />One other idea - you're propshaft had no detent ball and spring to 'click' your shift dog into forward, neutral, and reverse right? So the only thing to set it to one or the other is the lever and spring arrangement that works on the shift handle right? That may be out of adjustment from trying to push the handle too hard into gear when it was stuck. <br />If there's no way to adjust the handle, you may have to remove the power head to straighten out the bellcrank underneath it.<br /><br />Another idea - when you freed up the shift dog, it slid easily on the propshaft right? It's not getting hung up in forward and then flying over to the reverse gear right?<br /><br />Good luck!

What happens when the gear lever is in the neutral position? it wont shift unless motor is shut off, and it still churns alot of water.<br /><br />you're propshaft had no detent ball and spring to 'click' your shift dog into forward, neutral, and reverse right? So the only thing to set it to one or the other is the lever and spring arrangement that works on the shift handle right? right.<br /><br />when you freed up the shift dog, it slid easily on the propshaft right? right.<br />you may have to remove the power head to straighten out the bellcrank underneath it.<br />i sure the hell hope not<br /><br />It's not getting hung up in forward and then flying over to the reverse gear right? dont have a clue.<br /><br />im not mechancically enclined, im very surprised i got as far as i did today with the lower unit, i was hoping it would be a easy fix, like i put the dog gear in backwards or something, as soon as this is lined out im gonna try changing the water pump, and then rebuild the carb, thanks for the reply and suggestions

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ahh, I think I see now what you mean. You can move the shift lever while the engine is running but it doesn't do anything - am I right?<br />If so, start by figuring out which end of the shift linkage has a problem. You can do this by removing the shift coupler access window on the side of the exhaust housing and observing it's movement as you shift while the engine is running. I expect using a mirror or a helper for this test would be necessary, unless you moonlight as a contortionist.<br />If the shift coupler does not move up and down as you select gears, the problem must be at the shift handle or bellcrank. The shift handle is clamped to a shaft that runs into the exhaust housing. There's a bolt on the hadnle that is tightened to clamp it on - try tightening it. If that's not the problem, then it must be the bellcrank. It's not that hard to get to - there's only a couple hard to access nuts holding the engine on in addition to the bolts. You'll need a new gasket but they're still avalialable.<br /><br />If the shift coupler does move, the problem must be in the lower unit - but I can't imagine what it would be. Unless you didn't get the pivot screw in right, but I doubt that.<br /><br />I think you underestimate your mechanical abilities. You've just dissassembled, repaired and resealed a 50 year old outboard lower unit afterall.

is it possible that the coupling may have been a little loose and the dog gear was frozed and when i shifted in to gear the rod slipped out of adjustment?

rwise

Captain

not if the bolts are still in it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you have forward and reverse then you MUST have neutral somewhere in there. The question is, is the neutral of the shift handle aligned with the neutral at the other end of the system - the clutch dog. In this case, you may be able to adjust it at the shift handle to make it work. If you loosen the two screws that hold the handle to the shifter shaft you should see an oblonged slot on the shifter shaft that allows about 1/4" of adjustment. Align the shifter shaft to neutral (prop spins freely) and then align the handle to that (in neutral detent on the spring-loaded arm)....<br />- Scott

well im not entirely positive i have reverse, every position i put the shifter in(on the motor not remote)actually i think i got forward in all 3 positions? been real busy at work havent had a chance to mess with it