Starting the swap.....

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting the swap.....

He was being facetious about the JB Weld. No fixing that crater.

+1 He said that with a *wink, wink* kinda wording. I think he said he already has an engine, and was going to get the heads checked before refurbing them. I believe he has a good set of heads also. I agree tho...since it doesnt have to have a core, I think I might have gone the v-8 route too...obviously.:D

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually did have to have a core. I got one of craigslist for $100. Machine shop said motor without the core is $200 more. And yes, I was kidding about the JB on that block. I took the cam and the heads to the shop today (I love this machine shop, they are building my motor and servicing the heads. They are bolting on the heads for me as they test run all motors in the shop) and the heads they said were rebuildable for $98 per head. The cam however was junk. Had a nice gash on a journal bearing so no good. I honestly have no clue how this motor ran for the 10 min I had it in the water.
I have thought long and hard about doing a 350 swap but have decided against it this season. Partly because I have never had a Baja and even though every owner I have spoken to loves them I can be picky. I want to make sure the boat suites my family and myself before I spend more money than I have to. If I don't like it I am guessing I can get between 6k and 7k for the boat with a new 4.3 and I can pick up something else.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, thats a really nice Baja! I Rarely like the decal colors of that era but I like those.

Second, You do need a long block. Im with fast and Bond-o, the heads are likely junk.

Third... Its begging for a v8... Its practically saying "prettly please"
Thanks. Im still not sure I love the decals on the side, but I am kind of stuck with that color scheme as the interior and the trailer match it.

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep us posted on the swap. I was just informed about City Motor Supply this weekend and have heard great reviews. I am thinking of using them on my engine swap. I think I will be updating to a 4.3L vortec over my 1989 4.3L.

mhutchins

Cadet

Hey Mike,

I'm on a similar path with a '99 350 roller block from City Motor Supply. They are a stand up outfit.

One issue I encountered was with the oil pump. I don't know if the 4.3 is the same as the 5.7, but you can't reuse the old oil pickup in a new oil pump unless you weld or braze the pickup in place. Once the tube is removed from the pump, there is no longer an adequate interference fit between the pump and pickup tube and it will fall out easily.

Oh, don't forget to replace the two rear freeze plugs before you put the block in the stand. That way you can paint everything while the engine is still in the stand.

Also check out this page on Permatex.com to help you select the proper sealants and threadlockers for the various gaskets and fasteners.

If you split the risers from the exhaust manifolds, the new gaskets may go on dry without the sealant the manual may call for (for the 5.7 there was a service bulletin for this and I think it covers the 4.3 as well. Double check to make sure before you take my word on this).

Check your manual for head bolt torque. If it says to torque the heads to 20 ft-lbs then 70 degrees more, buy a torque angle gauge/tool for torquing your heads. It's worth it for the piece of mind of knowing they were torqued properly. You can buy these for as little as $10.

Replace the impeller for the seawater cooling pump and consider replacing the engine water pump as well. My dealer said don't even consider an automotive water pump (but the Mercruiser pump is real pricey...)

Head Gaskets - my dealer said only the Mercruiser gaskets will do. Another marina engine builder said the Felpro automotive head gaskets are stainless as well and will work just fine. I'm sure there are plenty of opinions on this topic. Likewise on marine vs. automotive water pumps.

Good luck,
Mike

mhutchins

Cadet

23w4fh1.jpg

Hey Mike,

You might consider replacing the large water pump hose on the left in the photo above with this part: 32-861590a2 hose - thermostat housing to water pump (w/ drain). This part is for the 5.7L engine.

The lower elbow of the hose is replaced with a plastic elbow that incorporates a drain fitting: 2-806608A02 PLUG-DRAIN. A bushing is also shown in the parts list but my engine does not have one, just the drain plug. Check the parts list for variants of your engine to see if the same part numbers are used.

I know I'll be much more diligent about draining the water in the winter time...:facepalm:

How's the build coming?

Mike