Starting the swap.....

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starting the swap.....

So I downloaded the manual and removing the engine seems pretty straight forward. Basically remove it as one piece with all the acc bolted on. I do need to remove the stern drive first so I download that manual.... Are you F&*#^$@ kidding me? I have to remove the power steering assembly? It seems taking the stern drive off is soooooo much more complicated than taking out the motor. Someone please tell me its not so bad.

TilliamWe

Banned

Everyone I spoke to said you can reuse roller lifters but not flat tappet. It makes sense to me to mark them and reuse if Im using the old cam, rods and rockers. Save me some bucks if I can reuse them.

Everyone you spoke to must be under the age of 35, then. ;) You can ABSOLUTELY reuse flat lifters with the cam they were previously riding on. You do have to mark them, so that they go back on the exact same lobe they came off of.

TilliamWe

Banned

So I downloaded the manual and removing the engine seems pretty straight forward. Basically remove it as one piece with all the acc bolted on. I do need to remove the stern drive first so I download that manual.... Are you F&*#^$@ kidding me? I have to remove the power steering assembly? It seems taking the stern drive off is soooooo much more complicated than taking out the motor. Someone please tell me its not so bad.

You are reading something wrong. Removing the out drive will be the EASIEST part of this swap. The 6 bolts and the the pin through the trim cylinders is all you need to unbolt.

Bondo

Staff member

You are reading something wrong. Removing the out drive will be the EASIEST part of this swap. The 6 bolts and the the pin through the trim cylinders is all you need to unbolt.

Ayuh,... 10 minutes,... Tops...

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stern drive came off today. Is there supposed to be water inside the gimble housing? Not sure if I am using the right name for what it is. Basically when I pulled the stern drive off, the housing it slid out of has some standing water. The U joints seem to be in good shape, but there is some rusting going on....
Gimble bearing...I think
350ouv6.jpg

The driveshaft and U joints
34nl2c0.jpg

20hm4gk.jpg

I think this is the end of the shift cable. There was a spring or some kind of retention wire here that I think broke loose. It feels like there is some silicone on the end of this thing.
jl6lw1.jpg

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And where do you guys order parts from? Gaskets mostly. I know there are a lot of sites, but who do you prefer for good prices and fast shipping?

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stern drive came off today. Is there supposed to be water inside the gimble housing? Not sure if I am using the right name for what it is. Basically when I pulled the stern drive off, the housing it slid out of has some standing water. The U joints seem to be in good shape, but there is some rusting going on....
Gimble bearing...I think
350ouv6.jpg

The driveshaft and U joints
34nl2c0.jpg

20hm4gk.jpg

I think this is the end of the shift cable. There was a spring or some kind of retention wire here that I think broke loose. It feels like there is some silicone on the end of this thing.
jl6lw1.jpg

No comments on the pictures from anyone yet? I am guessing time for new gimbal bearing, u joints, and bellows for starters. They might feel ok but a little preventive maintenance goes a long ways on the water.

rickryder

Commander

That would be the end of the shift cable....should have a piece of SS wire wrapped around it to prevent it from coming loose.

Yes you need a new gimbal bearing.....u joints wont hurt either.... I just picked up a bellows kit on e-bay that had all bellows o-rings and gasket....plus the bearing for under $100

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Fresh water boat gaskets from any parts-house. Salt water Go to a marina or IBoats store. I would do something about those bellows in the back by the way. Make sure changing the freeze plugs do not mess with your warranty.

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anything Questionable I would change while you have it apart. (Do it right or don't do it.) BTW Good luck.

fishrdan

Admiral

For the transom assembly; bellows, gimble bearing, Ujoints, complete water pump kit, and I'd change the shift cable while in there. Get the genuine OEM Quicksilver/Mercruiser lower shift cable, it's worth the extra $.

For the shade tree shop, I wouldn't, especially if it's a car/truck shop. If I were to use them, I would question them about their engine alignment tool, if they give you a "deer in the headlights" look when you ask,,, RUN!

If you are going to do the swap, you will need the alignment tool, $50 off Ebay. With the manual and taking pictures of everything before and during asembly, it's not going to be too terribly difficult.

NHGuy

Captain

To answer about water in the bellows, no you don't want water in there. So change the gimble bearing and the shift bellows and the drive bellows while it is apart. Make sure the u joints are good too. You may want to make up a drive stand which makes r&r of the drive much easier. There's a link to drive stand "plans" at the top of the forum. Also get the shift install tool. It's a little plastic thing that holds the shift link in place as you go to put the drive back on the bell housing.
Are you new to stern drives? If so remember you absolutely MUST have water to the lower unit any time the engine is running. Or you could leave the drive off and run water right into the engine compartment. Just don't run the drive dry or you'll have to replace the water impeller in the drive.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the motor out yesterday. New motor should be ready to roll on Friday so it looks like I may have her in the water in less than 2 weeks. Ok so I have no clue how this motor ever ran. Found several cracks and a hole the size of a silver dollar under the intake. When I got it pulled loose and drained the oil it filled a 5 gallon bucket with what came out of the oil pan. Now the pics...
2rw83sg.jpg

My buddy who I promised we would have it out and disassembled in 3 hours tops....6 hours later...
23w4fh1.jpg

20swpd4.jpg

Turned out I have a roller cam. Don't think I can reuse the cam though. Nice indention on one of the journal bearings. Will take it to the machine shop tomorrow with my heads and see what they think. Rust was really bad inside of this motor.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You need a long block motor, atleast....

fastimz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im with Bond-o, If there is that much freeze damage, im willing to bet the heads are junk. By time you fool around with piecing this thing back together you could have the longblock in and enjoying the water. Good Luck to you. Call Rapido marine!

Flysfloatsor

Banned

First, thats a really nice Baja! I Rarely like the decal colors of that era but I like those.

Second, You do need a long block. Im with fast and Bond-o, the heads are likely junk.

Third... Its begging for a v8... Its practically saying "prettly please"

fishrdan

Admiral

No JBwelding that block, with the internal crack it's trashed. I would inspect anything else that holds water; heads, manifolds, risers, etc.

NHGuy

Captain

He was being facetious about the JB Weld. No fixing that crater.