Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft on clist!

What the h*** is wrong with that hull!! It is totally out of proportion. Did somebody cut off 3' from the back or something? The cabin is too big. The rub rail and hand rail go too far back. The distance from the water line to gunwhale is too tall. Is it a cut up 21' Chieftain?

Yah, I did a double take on that too. I just wrote it off as a poorly cropped photo but you are right, proportions seem way off. Weird. Maybe not that good of a find:confused::redface:

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah, I did a double take on that too. I just wrote it off as a poorly cropped photo but you are right, proportions seem way off. Weird. Maybe not that good of a find:confused::redface:
All finds are good finds. Especially if it is an odd one.;)

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

With that trailer, It seems to me that there would be a lot of tongue weight.
I would also think that a cabin cruiser like this would have a double axle trailer.

Something is up with this one, if anybody decides to check it out, please let us know what the deal is ...

dozerII

Admiral

It kind of looks like someone put an islander or chieftan lid on a holiday???
Glen

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

I swear that boat was $5000 just a couple of days ago! Did you guys see that too? Either way, it's awesome and too rich for my blood.

It WAS 5k earlier this week unless I'm taking crazy pills.:D

Maybe he fixed the motor?:confused::p:D

On that other rig, if I didn't have such a hankering for a 22' cuddy I'd be interested. It's just a small Starchief I think.

Dale was puzzled by the setup on his rig that was identical. They are just cool like that.:cool:

fshngho

Lieutenant

I think Starcraft is right. Even my old Starchief didn't look that much out of whack. The rubrails & handrails don't come back that far normally. Someone has cut the stern or combined different boats to make one. Still a good price if hull is good though.

reelfishin

Captain

What the h*** is wrong with that hull!! It is totally out of proportion. Did somebody cut off 3' from the back or something? The cabin is too big. The rub rail and hand rail go too far back. The distance from the water line to gunwhale is too tall. Is it a cut up 21' Chieftain?

I think what has happened is that someone took the top off a 21' Chieftain and put it on an 18' Starchief or Holiday.

Something I did notice the other day after a buddy stopped by with his newly acquired 1979 or so 18' Starcraft hull, on which he planned to put the top off of his scrapped 1968, 18' Chieftain onto, that the early and late hulls are quite different when parked side by side. The bow comes to a sharper angle than on the older boats, therefore when he mounts his cabin, it will be farther aft than it was on the 1968 model. The bow deck is shorter on the original Starchief like mine, the bow deck is almost 17" longer on his 1979. He also owns a Holiday, which appears to be the same hull and deck plate as on the donor 1968 Starchief.
With his 1979 sitting next to my 1967 18' Starchief, the cabin would have to mounted almost 20" farther back.
Take this into account, then figure if the boat on CL has a top from a larger Chieftain, then there's an additional few foot of cabin space on the back too.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

For $400, you can have some fun with that hull, especially when you offer $325 and maybe take her home!!

I don't know much about that model, but the aft rails are what make it look odd. I would remove the cap and retro-fit canvass.

86 century

Ensign

I swear that boat was $5000 just a couple of days ago! Did you guys see that too? Either way, it's awesome and too rich for my blood.

You are correct. I just noticed the 305merc with an omc outdrive

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Someone shortened the hull. Look where the rub rail is in the rear. Its flush with the transom.

Here is the CL pic.
3p43o43lb5Y05Z25Q5acha45c8b6542211ebc.jpg

Here is an 18' Chieftain.
Starchiefwrapup016.jpg

And here is my 21' Chieftain.
DSC00421.jpg

Look at the rubrail near the transom...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Shortening the hull of an aluminum boat would be madness! (well any boat really)

I think that I'd be more apt to say he took the top off of a Chieftain and put it on a Holiday (entire top as there is a hatch there).

I think I'll give that fella a call today and see what's up, eh guys?!:D

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shortening the hull of an aluminum boat would be madness! (well any boat really)

I think that I'd be more apt to say he took the top off of a Chieftain and put it on a Holiday (entire top as there is a hatch there).

I think I'll give that fella a call today and see what's up, eh guys?!:D

Looking forward to what you find out. I still say they cut it. I think they cut 3' off the back of the trailer too. That axle is in the wrong place.
I don't think the top off a Chieftain would even come close to fitting a Holiday. I believe a Chieftain is wider.

dozerII

Admiral

Could be someone made and I/O into an O/B. the wrong way???

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

SE, nice chop job on Bruce's boat! You are right, they look identical now!:eek:

OK, I am calling now...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, called Frank...

It was chopped!:eek::eek:

Nice job guys! Man you are a sharp lot!

Ol Frank there said that he picked it up out of a scrap yard. He didn't even know what kind of boat it was. He said it was originally an IO but it was wrecked at the stern. He cut it off and turned it into an OB.

I bet he probably put a lot of work into that conversion (unfortunately). For me, personally, and I can't believe I am saying this...

That boat should prolly find it's way back to the scrap yard:(