Starcraft Holiday - Must I replace transom with floor (sole)?

tinkertinker

Seaman
I plan to replace the floor of my 71 Starcraft Holiday sometime this season. I want to just do the floor this season and leave the hassle of the transom for next year.

Best I can tell from the pics of other projects, I can do these projects separately. The transom is solid below but starting to rot near its top, where the transom touches the top of the gunwale. I think it could wait two years or more.

Any thoughts out there from tin can vets?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NmGeRPJ7BbX3-6iK1z9maQ?feat=directlink

Last edited:

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft Holiday - Must I replace transom with floor (sole)?

Nice boat:D The floor and the transom do not connect in these boats so they can definately be done as seperate projects. But that transom will rot faster than you think, and scince you have the boat apart why not do it as well? Once the engine is off, the transom is actually the easier of the two projects, plus it will give you easier access to the floor with the one piece splashwell removed. As home desperate says: You Can DO It, We Can Help :D

tinkertinker

Seaman

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. :)

That splashwell... I'll do some looking on these forums. It looks like I'll need to drill out a bunch of rivets and get a rivet gun.

I am indebted to the many great projects posted on these forums. Thanks to all.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Tinker Bret is right the transom on our boats is a breeze compared to the poor guys with glass boats.

Rick

tinkertinker

Seaman

Hmmm, in looking at the Starcraft projects, it looks like I don't have to pull the splashwell to fix the transom. Is that right?

I did see the bend/cut part of the top of the gunwales to get the transom board out, and the new one in.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Tinker thts right on Outboards you dont have to pull the splashwell. Basically remove the rear corner caps and trim/bend the end of the gunwales and it will slide out .After of course you remove ll the through bolts :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

+1 on the transom on an OB being easy. I would say my total time was 2 hrs, included removal, cutting a new one, coating in resin and reinstalling.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Transom veteran here too. Definitely no big deal. Nice looking boat. Although, I never understood the tall bow rails you see on these Holidays. Just what exactly is their purpose on a closed bow?

Andy in NY

Commander

Transom veteran here too. Definitely no big deal. Nice looking boat. Although, I never understood the tall bow rails you see on these Holidays. Just what exactly is their purpose on a closed bow?

To make them less attractive than a Jupiter.
:eek:

*runs away REALLY fast*

tinkertinker

Seaman

If I get a very short but wobbly girlfriend, the high bow rails might save her from falling overboard.

Other than a place to flop the bowline over, I've only seen mine used by people at the dock who think they are being helpful by trying to grab them. *sigh* Just let me glide it in, brother.

Never thought about it!

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish mine came out in one piece. I spent two hours yesterday prying out old, waterlogged plywod and that was only for MOST of the wood above the splashwell! That transom wouldn't budge for ANYTHING! I think the PO had maybe done the transom once before and siliconed it or something to the bottom tray where the transom sits.