Starcraft Conversion

MIFisher

Cadet
Just got a Jet 15 in a Craigslist trade. He had started to convert it to a duck but but abandoned it and I’m going convert it to a fishing boat on a budget. Don’t know much about it. Planning on putting. A deck with a pedestal seat in the front and back and two seats mounted on a storage box in the middle. Hoping to pair it with anywhere from a 9.9hp to a 25hp.

Attachments

• photo322645.jpg
    photo322645.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo322646.jpg
    photo322646.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 3
  • photo322647.jpg
    photo322647.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 1

emoney

Commander
Welcome to the forum, we're glad you're here. Tons of help around these parts should you need it. I'd read all of the stickies because there's loads of information there. Good luck and keep us posted!

MIFisher

Cadet
pardon the ignorance, but what's a "Stickie"

Last night I reached out to a friend who does construction on some tips on making the stringers and spacing for them and support of the floor (Sole). He is was like "just come over and ill help with it man!" making him some fishing lures for trade for the labor help. I'm hoping to have the floor at least in before Muskie opens in Michigan the last Saturday in April. the seats and boxes will probably come later. Currently will have to power it with my 5.5 Evinrude until I can sell that boat to get the funds for the bigger motor.

MIFisher

Cadet
Got an old Chrysler 12.9 for the Starcraft today. Hard to find open water in Michigan right now, but found some and got her up to 13mph with 400-500lbs of people in it. I imagine the the deck and seats will add about another 100 pounds and maybe nock it down 1mph but will still scoot to fishing spots!

Attachments

• photo322833.jpg
    photo322833.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo322834.jpg
    photo322834.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo322835.jpg
    photo322835.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0

MIFisher

Cadet
Yeah, couple months of a winter project and hopefully ready for Muskie opener! I snapped a little plastic piece in the tiller handle so have to replace that. I guess 40 year old plastic and 32° temps don’t work great for shakedown sessions. Better now than 1 mile out on Lake Erie I guess!

MIFisher

Cadet
Won an auction tonight for some aluminum square tube, going to use that pas my support for the floor of my boat.

Attachments

• photo323288.jpg
    photo323288.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
remember, the boat had a maximum weight it could carry on the capacity tag, granted, that was with the two seat boxes in it.

as you add decks and stuff, you have to subtract from how much stuff you can put in the boat.

also, since the boat is really narrow, I doubt you could stand on a front deck to fish.

MIFisher

Cadet
The capacity tag was missing but I know it was a Jet. Those had 1,100 pounds on the tag with all the other stuff added to it. I am almost positive my build won't be more heavy than the original was. Also It was rated for upto a 50, that little Chrysler I am putting on it weighs hardly more than the gas tank so that should help me out. (Although my 230 LB doesn't help lol)

I think you're right on the front seat though. That "v" is so sharp in the front I think the front seat wont be able to go all the way up like bass boat, I'm thinking right around where the steering controls used to be.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Starcraft Jet 15 had a covered bow, single row of seats and steering controls, along with wide gunwales
fetch

the boat you have pictured in post #1 is a utility boat with narrow gunwales, oar locks, and two cross seats (currently missing along with the bow plate)

fetch

you are starting with a utility boat, not a Jet 15. the Jet 15 was rated at 50hp because it had steering wheel (remote controls). as a tiller steer boat, its rated at 18hp

easy to determine what you have, measure the length and the transom.

Starcraftbb001.jpg

MIFisher

Cadet
This had a steering originally, I'm just swapping to the tiller for space and $$$. It had a pulley system for those and those were in the boat still when I got it and you can see the bracket for either the throttle or the steering on the left. I have a picture of the manufacture info on it ( the guy who started the conversion took it off so I don't have it on the boat)

Attachments

• photo323298.jpg
    photo323298.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0

MIFisher

Cadet
I wonder if it was the Utility Star and not the Jet? IDK I guess mostly irrelevant what it is/was since I will be changing it. I think based one some of the calculations even on the high side estimate I am not too worried about the aluminum stringers and 5/8 plywood. I am thinking about trying to put some weight up front to help it plane a little better with my fat butt at the tiller thought lol.